Thread: Dauset 6 & 12?!

n3rd

Idea! Dauset 6 & 12?!

Who's gonna be there? I'm signed up for the 6 Solo but I'm starting to think about changing to 12 for some reason..
    Last edited by cartecs3; 09-11-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Al.
    Hooligan
    The roll call on the SORBA site is getting some attention - http://www.sorba.org/modules.php?nam...=15885&start=0

I'll be there for the six hour solo. I don't know why.

edit: you mean 6/22 not 6/12.

mtbr member
    There for the 2 man 12 hr.

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.

edit: you mean 6/22 not 6/12.
    I meant 6hr/12hr but after posting I realized it looked like the date.. heh..

Edit:

I don't know why I'm going either cause:
    A) I'll be on Rigid SS (Gary Fisher Rig.. say hey if you see me pushing my bike up a hill (or steep incline!) I'll either have on my "Climb Like a Goat" jersey for the irony effect or a Green/Plaid Twin Six Jersey..
    B) I haven't "trained" this year at all.. just kinda randomly rode.

Not any MTBers around me down here so that's the main reason I show up to stuff

Al.
    Hooligan
    You won't be pushing - the course is fast with no steep climbs. Perfect for a single speed, if that's what you're into. Bronze Turner Sultan - prolly a SORBA jersey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll be there. 4 Man team. I'll be a blue Racer X and the team should all be wearing Outdoor Chattanooga Kits.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build
    2015 Niner Bikes Ambassador; Chattanooga, TN

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    You won't be pushing - the course is fast with no steep climbs. Perfect for a single speed, if that's what you're into. Bronze Turner Sultan - prolly a SORBA jersey.
    I keep hearing that.. I'll remain skeptical though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    He's right. Great course with high speeds and short climbs (Huff n Puff not withstanding)

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    I'm there for the 6 solo. Black Hammerhead (RacerX), blue & yellow "Cyclce Escape" team kit. I'm bringing the Voodoo SS as a backup bike.

Anybody been following this?:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...y.html#a_topad

I hope that I'm WAAAAAYYYYYY wrong, but the timing could be perfect.

Dausett is a nightmare in the rain!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by xray_ed
    I'm there for the 6 solo. Black Hammerhead (RacerX), blue & yellow "Cyclce Escape" team kit. I'm bringing the Voodoo SS as a backup bike.

Anybody been following this?:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...y.html#a_topad

I hope that I'm WAAAAAYYYYYY wrong, but the timing could be perfect.

Dausett is a nightmare in the rain!
    The Weather? Psshhh. I learned it's best to ignore the weather forecast so I'm ignorant to whatever 100+ degree heat-stroke weather I'm having to ride through down here. Plus preparedness is something I usually fall short on. I always hear about the big storms when they get close though.. working at an insurance company (Don't hate me I'm just a Network admin.. don't deal with insurance at all!).

Most of the time I don't mind rain.. and when running I love the rain.. I always had faster times while running in the rain (road & trail).. kinda weird. I ran swayback once like a year and a half ago (bad Idea I learned with all the MTB traffic) and it started raining on my second lap.. not like drizzling but totally opened up.. best run I've ever had I think. When I got back to my sister's who lives in the area she told me the radar was like a big red blob in that area.

Never rode Dauset though so I'll take your word for it and hope it's not raining.

Go make a difference
    I'm in. Solo 12. No worries about the climbs dude, you'll be fine. I've raced once this year and I'm excited about this one.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    I'm in. Solo 12. No worries about the climbs dude, you'll be fine. I've raced once this year and I'm excited about this one.
    Believe I've talked myself into changing over to a 12 hour solo attempt. I talked to the race director and he said it would be no problem just let them know on race day.. I went ahead and picked up some lights which I was going to put off until next month (already signed up for a local 12 hour next month). I'm not sure I make the best decisions.. Oh well. I'm curious as to how many laps I can do in 12 hours or uhh probably like 8 - 10 hours

Go make a difference
    Local 12 hour? Where in Alabama are you?
    Charles Myrick

mtbr member
    I will be there on a 4 person team. We are no threat to the serious racers. Everyone working for their personal best and all that. I am looking forward to this!
    Last edited by Trail Snail; 09-14-2007 at 05:00 PM.

n3rd
    Local 12 hour? Where in Alabama are you?
    Dothan, AL.. there's a 12 hour down near Panama City, FL next month.. "12 Hours of Pine Log" no website I dont think.. just search active for it.

edit:

I've never done it before.. or ridden the trail its on.. I usually prefer to go NORTH for riding instead of south even though its only like 45 minutes from me heh.. I've heard conflicting reports.. one that its like a 7 mile course and one that its like a 9 mile course.. Also assuming it's very flat.
    Last edited by cartecs3; 09-14-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Go make a difference
    Cartec,
    Thanks for the info. I'll look it up. That's not far from where I am for now in Pensacola. Maybe I'll see you there!

~Charles
    Charles Myrick

n3rd
    Cartec,
    Thanks for the info. I'll look it up. That's not far from where I am for now in Pensacola. Maybe I'll see you there!

~Charles
    Actually I found a website with more info and a PDF of the flier my LBS had and here's a link to the active registration.

I just got back from doing the Spring City Cycling Club Century up in Huntsville, AL.. amazing to me how I always feel so strong/not tired after long days on a road bike but after 6 hours of Conyers I was beat and sore for like 2 days (I think the heat + bad nutrition had somethin to do with that tho).. I'm starting to look really foward to Dauset as I think I worked out some nutritional quriks this weekend and got a good regime down.

~I'm a Charles too.. but I usually go by Charlie

n3rd
    I'm gettin' really excited now.. my lights came in today and they had enough charge for me to mount them and ride around the house..

!!!!!

Night riding looks like it's gonna be fun! I've done night scuba diving and it's freakin awesome.. looks like biking is the same.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by cartecs3
    I'm gettin' really excited now.. my lights came in today and they had enough charge for me to mount them and ride around the house..

!!!!!

Night riding looks like it's gonna be fun! I've done night scuba diving and it's freakin awesome.. looks like biking is the same.
    What did ya get?

It looks like sunset will be at 7:32 pm, so you shouldn't have to turn them on until about 7:45 or 7:50. 2 hours woth of light ought to do you.

BTW, what's everybody's travel plans? Camping? Motel? Day trip? 1 or 2 nighter?

n3rd
    What did ya get?

It looks like sunset will be at 7:32 pm, so you shouldn't have to turn them on until about 7:45 or 7:50. 2 hours woth of light ought to do you.

BTW, what's everybody's travel plans? Camping? Motel? Day trip? 1 or 2 nighter?
    Aww 2 hours? I wasn't even thinking about it still being light out til about 8. Bah Humbug.

Dinotte 600L on the bar and a 200L on the helmet.. planning on doing a 24 either at the end of the year @ 24 hours of Clear Springs or either waiting until May for the BURN when I'll be better prepared.. of course unpreparedness hasn't stopped me from showing up to an event yet so I have a feeling I'll be showing up at Clear Springs.. hence why I splurged on some lights already.

I've been meaning to drop you a line.. I couldn't talk my 'ol man into riding up with me he kept complaining about it being late or something? Not sure what that's about. I'll be driving up Friday and staying at the Best Western recommended on the SORBA thread and then staying there Saturday after the race and driving back on Sunday morning. I briefly considered driving back home after the race but a 4 hour drive after riding for 12 hours does not sound like my idea of fun.. nor the 2am arrival time..

Go make a difference
    Hey 'Bama,
    If you see me, please introduce yourself. I'll be on a green Salsa dos Niner with pink bits and streamers. Not sure which jersey I'll be wearing yet, but it could be one with pink or my TN Vols one.

See ya there!
    ~Charles
    Charles Myrick

n3rd
    Hey 'Bama,
    If you see me, please introduce yourself. I'll be on a green Salsa dos Niner with pink bits and streamers. Not sure which jersey I'll be wearing yet, but it could be one with pink or my TN Vols one.

See ya there!
    ~Charles
    Pink bits and streamers eh? I think you'll be hard to miss..

If somehow I do miss ya I'll be wearing my green & plaid twin six jersey.. black gary fisher rig. I got a tannish tent/shade/awning thing yesterday as well so if you need some shade..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i'll be there for a 2 man 12. looking forward to it.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Well, I've gone & done it now. I signed up for the solo 12!

It looks like I'm heading over Friday evening and camping out at the race venue.

cartec, did I give you my cell#? If I did call me & I'll introduce you to some of the other LA riders as well as a great group of folks from Columbus Ga. If you don't have my # pm me.

Any other Bama riders going?

n3rd
    Well, I've gone & done it now. I signed up for the solo 12!

It looks like I'm heading over Friday evening and camping out at the race venue.

cartec, did I give you my cell#? If I did call me & I'll introduce you to some of the other LA riders as well as a great group of folks from Columbus Ga. If you don't have my # pm me.

Any other Bama riders going?
    I've got it.. I plan to get a pre-ride in Friday hopefully.. so I'll give you a call.

Is the Chain Reaction team going to Dauset? I don't know any of 'em but the shop owner fixed up my BB one day when it exploded @ Swayback.. no charge.. super nice guy.

Edit: I've got a tent/shade thingy I might set up Friday as well if you're gonna be camping out and don't mind making sure nobody walks off with it

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    I've got it.. I plan to get a pre-ride in Friday hopefully.. so I'll give you a call.

Is the Chain Reaction team going to Dauset? I don't know any of 'em but the shop owner fixed up my BB one day when it exploded @ Swayback.. no charge.. super nice guy.

Edit: I've got a tent/shade thingy I might set up Friday as well if you're gonna be camping out and don't mind making sure nobody walks off with it
    I know the Cahin Reaction guys will have at least on 4 person team & one 6 hour solo guy. Definately meet Dave, the solo 6 rider. He runs the team. You might want to join the team next year!

n3rd
    I know the Cahin Reaction guys will have at least on 4 person team & one 6 hour solo guy. Definately meet Dave, the solo 6 rider. He runs the team. You might want to join the team next year!
    Cool beans.

There was a post on the Endurance Forums saying there wasn't enough smack talk about Dauset.. but I'm at a loss of words for coming up with something witty to say. *Shrug*

I tested the lights tonight.. pretty fun.. weird.. lonely.. slightly unnerving and frightening. Not as bad as running solo at night in the woods though.. that was freakin me out.. I think riding at night will be more fun during the event cause I won't feel like I'm screwed if something happens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    12 hour solo. first time... see you guys there. jg

blue epic. slow guy

n3rd
    Anybody plan to pre-ride tomorrow? I'm gonna try and get into town around 5ish PM I think..

Go make a difference
    I'll be driving tomorrow but you can bet I'll be ready to stomp you on Saturday! (figured I'd get the smack talkin started up!) I'll leave the podium to guys like Eddie and Shay though
    Charles Myrick

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

camping/rain...

okay i said the r-a-i-n word... but there's a 30% chance for friday night. cartec are you going to be setting up your tent/awning thing in the main parking area near cars for hanging/camping/stuff or near the start/finish area for pit area/camping etc.

where are people planning to camp?? are there campsites on the dauset property or are people just setting up in the field?? i was planning to set up camp next to my car but if there's space under some awning thing that might be more waterproof than my tent then... i mean, i'll keep an eye on it from under it!!! i'll check this forum in the morning.

ed, i'll see you there in the 12 hr solo category... i've met you once before. i'm friends with paul hein too. later!!!

jg

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by josephgrimes
    okay i said the r-a-i-n word... but there's a 30% chance for friday night. cartec are you going to be setting up your tent/awning thing in the main parking area near cars for hanging/camping/stuff or near the start/finish area for pit area/camping etc.

where are people planning to camp?? are there campsites on the dauset property or are people just setting up in the field?? i was planning to set up camp next to my car but if there's space under some awning thing that might be more waterproof than my tent then... i mean, i'll keep an eye on it from under it!!! i'll check this forum in the morning.
    I'm bringing my awning shade thinga-ma-bober for the pit area in case I get tired of running k2biker into the ground and have to take a breather ya know.. ? I'm not sure how waterproof it is though.. I went to Dick's with the intention of buying a nice ez-up brand one that would last a long time since on their website they had ez-up brand ones.. but I get there and all they have is some crappy off-brand ones.. so yeh.. not sure about the durability of it.

I've never been to Dauset before so I'm not sure where we're suppose to set such things up..

mtbr member
    We are camping at High Falls State Park, about 6 miles away. Can you actually camp at the race?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i think setting up a small tent in the field/parking area wouldn't be out of the question. or camping/sleeping in your pit area would probably be cool too since you don't want to set up friday and leave all your stuff unattended. it looks like their 'campsites' around the lake are for 4H groups or boyscouts type things only.

http://www.goneriding.com/2007/12%20...auset-main.pdf

according to dave/terri there is camping available. obviously it doesn't state where... hopefully they won't get upset if some mountain bikers are camping next to their cars in a big field. i think fires are the only thing that would be sketchy. we'll see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As an endorsement for off Brands we have 2 EZ Ups and 2 First Up tens. I'll take the first up brand any day over the EZ Ups. Walmart is usaully the place to get them for around $85-$90.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are camps sites at Indian Springs State Park, which abuts Dauset. There are also a few tent pads down near the start/finish area.

Al.
    Hooligan
    I took a few pictures yesterday - http://picasaweb.google.com/ridebike...r/Dauset12Hour

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Well, I survived! No crashes, mechanicals or cramps, but I did score one severly raw rear end! I actually ended up riding the whole 12 hours, or more exactly about 11.:45, since I missed the 9:30 cut off for another lap (thank God! ).

Race is report will follow when I'm able to sit in the chair a little longer. but the short version = 10 laps, 99.83 miles & I think 11th or so place. A Singletrack Century!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My second lap. We finished 4th out of 28 in Sport 4 Man
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4031166

n3rd
    Well, I survived! No crashes, mechanicals or cramps, but I did score one severly raw rear end! I actually ended up riding the whole 12 hours, or more exactly about 11.:45, since I missed the 9:30 cut off for another lap (thank God! ).

Race is report will follow when I'm able to sit in the chair a little longer. but the short version = 10 laps, 99.83 miles & I think 11th or so place. A Singletrack Century!
    http://alabamacyclist.blogspot.com/2...t-12-hour.html

There's mine.. good first time for a 12 hour except my nutritional issues.. I think I might have been a little safer doing another 6 and working on figuring out what I can eat for these long MTB rides first but oh well. I tend to take the "just jump right in" approach.. I definitely figured out what doesn't work saturday!

Nice to finally meet ya Ed!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Carl Mesta was out there and took some really great shots. Check them out here, and order one!
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

n3rd
    I never noticed the option to download the original that's awesome..

I'm always impressed how quickly he gets his photos up.. must have massive upload bandwidth.. when I uploaded ~500 pictures to flickr after vacation once it took almost two days.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    http://alabamacyclist.blogspot.com/2...t-12-hour.html

There's mine.. good first time for a 12 hour except my nutritional issues.. I think I might have been a little safer doing another 6 and working on figuring out what I can eat for these long MTB rides first but oh well. I tend to take the "just jump right in" approach.. I definitely figured out what doesn't work saturday!

Nice to finally meet ya Ed!
    And you as well Charlie! I'm glad you survived. I was worried about ya! I wanted to help you out after the race, but man, I was totally wrecked! It seemed like it took forever to GMST, get a shower & get in bed!

I don't think my HR ever got below 85 on Sunday. I really felt like I had one of those "Stayed out at a bar & drank tequila until 4 am" hangovers, complete with headache, slight nausea and lack of energy. Ugh

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Results are posted.
    http://www.goneriding.com/2007/12%20...et/results.htm

I edited the team results to show total time and converted it to hh:mm:ss in excel.
    http://sorbachattanooga.com/pictures...2P-RESULTS.htm

mtbr member
    I never noticed the option to download the original that's awesome..

I'm always impressed how quickly he gets his photos up.. must have massive upload bandwidth.. when I uploaded ~500 pictures to flickr after vacation once it took almost two days.
    I'm confident he'd appreciate your complement as he always complains about how long it takes to upload. He's trying a couple of new approaches to make pictures more available to all riders for free. He's actually going to have advertising established as a watermark on the pictures set up to cover his time & equipment costs.
    Essentially, he's doing market research to find out the number of visitors to his site in order to complete the marketing to advertisers. GREAT IDEA in my book & one that will likely grow some serious legs for next years race season. He's got a good eye and a better work ethic, I'll thank you on his behalf for the comments.

n3rd
    And you as well Charlie! I'm glad you survived. I was worried about ya! I wanted to help you out after the race, but man, I was totally wrecked! It seemed like it took forever to GMST, get a shower & get in bed!

I don't think my HR ever got below 85 on Sunday. I really felt like I had one of those "Stayed out at a bar & drank tequila until 4 am" hangovers, complete with headache, slight nausea and lack of energy. Ugh
    Naw you did enough.. I know everyone was feeling pretty trashed..

Yeah I know what you mean.. took forever to get back to the hotel.. then I kept trying call pizza places to see if they were still open (I was looking at my watch which was on central time). Finally I gave up and drove around.. found a Taco Bell/KFC.. which was about to close (I knew they were open to 1am but I pulled up at about 11:58 on my CST watch.. ) when I drove away they turned the sign off and I realized.. oh yeah.. I'm on eastern time. I bet they were pretty pissed at me Oh well I had 2 combo meals and 64oz of tea to devour so I was happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    Results are posted.
    http://www.goneriding.com/2007/12%20...et/results.htm

I edited the team results to show total time and converted it to hh:mm:ss in excel.
    http://sorbachattanooga.com/pictures...2P-RESULTS.htm
    Where did you specify Single Speed? I preregistered on Active and didn't see that option..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think I might not ave been clear. I converted the times to Hour (hh) : Minutes (mm) :Seconds (ss)

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGthree
    I'm confident he'd appreciate your complement as he always complains about how long it takes to upload. He's trying a couple of new approaches to make pictures more available to all riders for free. He's actually going to have advertising established as a watermark on the pictures set up to cover his time & equipment costs.
    Essentially, he's doing market research to find out the number of visitors to his site in order to complete the marketing to advertisers. GREAT IDEA in my book & one that will likely grow some serious legs for next years race season. He's got a good eye and a better work ethic, I'll thank you on his behalf for the comments.
    I saw him @ Conyers and Dauset and it's nice to hear him yelling words of encouragement.. and always super impressed to see him laying on the ground or whatever other crazy position he's in to get a good shot. I hope he's at some more events I show up to..

I bought the digital original of one of my pics to give him some support.. I might get another one later on. It's HUGE resolution!

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    I think I might not ave been clear. I converted the times to Hour (hh) : Minutes (mm) :Seconds (ss)
    No no.. I meant where it says category on the solo results-- "SS" which I assume is SingleSpeed and "F" for Female. I wasn't really replying to you just pondering outloud.. guess I shouldn't have quoted
    Last edited by cartecs3; 09-24-2007 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member

mestaphotos.us

His long term plan is to build the photography business to a point where he can quit his day job. He's got a number of really cool ideas up & coming for next year so I'm sure you'll cross paths soon enough.

gudguds (Carl)
    Sep 2007
    you all killed it out there and the pace where I was at was nothing but fast!! I always have a blast shooting these endurance races I just wish the ants didn't like the woods so much isn't there more food for them in the city. I hope everyone has or is recovering quickly and I'm looking forward to photographing the next race!!

Carl

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You rock Carl

-Trey (Commander)

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Thanks for your work Carl. I never had a photographer give me words of encouragement before. It was much appreciated BTW I really like your photos.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Members who have read this thread: 0