western NC

Chicopee Woods Trails?

I'm going to be in GA visiting family for the next few days, will be within a reasonable drive, and have been wanting to check out these trails. Provided the forecast holds and the next couple days are dry, what trails are a must do? Anything special I should know? Also, is there somewhere to check the trail conditions online? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Chicopee Woods has a Facebook page, with trail status. Forecast for some rain every day this week, and they usually ask for a 24 hr drying period - lots of clay. I like all the trails really. Whenever we go, we connect all the trails together somehow, with minimal backtracking. It's a pretty long ride, though.

mtbr member
    Blankets Creek and Olde Rope Mill, both in Woodstock are good trails to ride too. And there's Big Creek in Roswell.

western NC
    Yeah, I'd love to do Blankets, but it's just a bit too far of a haul from where I'll be. I've ridden Big Creek quite a bit, and really, really like it. Just looking for something new this trip. But if all else fails, I may just hit Big Creek as usual.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Chicopee is sweet, but as others have stated they tend to err on the side of caution when it rains.
    The facebook homepage has an up to date open/closed banner, so check that out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Chicopee is my favorite of the metro Atlanta trails. If you are stringing a ride together but don't want to do everything, you can skip Red Tail and the new Village Trail. Red Tail doesn't offer much that you don't get on White Tail IMO. Flying Squirrel is great if you like flow. My favorite part of the system is White Tail, descending from around Champain Hill down to the creek crossing. It's the part that looks like it is running along I-985 if you look at the map, but you don't really see or hear the interstate except for in a small spot.

western NC
    Thanks folks, I really appreciate all the info. Now here's hoping the weather will cooperate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Chicopee is my favorite of the trails on the eastern half of Atlanta. Cooperhead Gap is the most technical part with more rocky rooty parts than anything else at Chicopee. If I had to skip parts I'd skip Coyote and Red Tail which should give you about 14-15 miles. Copperhead Gap is about 3.5 miles and it can be skipped also if you are limited in time. I think its about 19 miles with everything.

The trails are well marked, but Confusion Point can be a bit confusing as you would guess from the name. MTB project has the trails so you can use GPS to follow them fairly easily.

western NC
    ^^Awesome, so if I do all those;

Tortoise (have to obviously)
    White tail
    Flying Squirell
    Copperhead Gap

What is the best direction to run them in or are they directional? Copperhead is at the top of the list for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You can go:

Tortoise to
    White Tail (First 1/2)
    Copperhead Gap
    Flying Squirrel
    Finish White Tail
    Up Granny's Climb
    Out on Tortoise

Tortoise is directional by the day of the week but you can get to White Tail either way.

western NC
    Okay, so which direction do each of the trails flow best? As in, clockwise or counterclockwise? Or does it really matter? I know with some trail networks, even though they may be two way, they definitely flow better in one direction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribble Me View Post
    You can go:

Tortoise to
    White Tail (First 1/2)
    Copperhead Gap
    Flying Squirrel
    Finish White Tail
    Up Granny's Climb
    Out on Tortoise

Tortoise is directional by the day of the week but you can get to White Tail either way.
    This route takes you counterclockwise on Copperhead Gap and Flying Squirrel, clockwise on White tail.

I think either direction is fun for both of those. White Tail I have only done clockwise in the section at the end near Granny's climb. It's not directional but I never see anyone going up White Tail from the bottom of Granny's. I would put that section as very difficult in that direction, and I'd need to be a lot better rider to make up in that direction.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribble Me View Post
    This route takes you counterclockwise on Copperhead Gap and Flying Squirrel, clockwise on White tail.

I think either direction is fun for both of those. White Tail I have only done clockwise in the section at the end near Granny's climb. It's not directional but I never see anyone going up White Tail from the bottom of Granny's. I would put that section as very difficult in that direction, and I'd need to be a lot better rider to make up in that direction.
    Thank you so much for those directions, I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    That section before Granny with the creek crossing and the old mill is simply awesome. Nice place to ride.

western NC

We the people ...

So I rode it on Thursday. I was worried the whole way there, it was drizzling rain of course. I met and talked to really nice local guy, who mentioned that him and his buddy had headed back it was so wet up top (Copperhead Gap). But, he mentioned that the trails dry really well, I checked the radar, and gave it a half hour and headed out. By the time I got to the upper trails, it was nothing but hero dirt, I had such a good time. And I understand why we have what we have here (stupid USFS), but you guys and gals in GA just don't know how luck you are to have the trails you do. I think I rode Flying Squireel backwards as it was mostly climbing, but oh well. Thanks a ton for the directions, and I'll definitely be back!

Also, I just want to give a shout out to all the GA peeps, you folks are the best. I've yet to come down there to ride, and encounter nothing less than people that want to chat or give advice in the parking lot, ask if you're OK if you're taking a break on the trail ETC. Hell, I don't even get that kind of courtesy on my home trails.

You folks are the best I've encountered yet, until you're in a car on 985 that is. I keed, I keed, kinda.

Last edited by HPIguy; 05-24-2016 at 05:09 AM.

Having a nice day!
    Glad you enjoyed the place. Reminds me that I need to get out there again soon. And glad to see your comments on the friendliness of the other riders. I saw on a recent thread how some felt the riders weren't like that. I do see the racer types blowing by sometimes without a word, but I'm guessing those types are everywhere. As for me, I allow for 30 minutes of post ride bike slobbering and **** shooting!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I think I rode Flying Squireel backwards as it was mostly climbing, but oh well.
    If you entered Flying Squirrel at the end of Copperhead Gap and went all the way to Confusion Point then the gain in elevation is about 60 feet overall, I think. So even though it felt like it was uphill all the way it's about the same going either way.

Glad you had a good time. I love riding Chicopee Woods.

western NC
    ^^Yep, that's exactly the route I took, good to know. It was a great day, and I met some really cool people too. I'll definitely make the drive up to ride it again when I'm down that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since our daughter moved to the Atlanta area four years ago, my wife and I have been sampling many of the fine trails in the Atlanta area. So far, I have ridden at Chicopee, Big Creek, Harbins Park, Trimble Mill, Yellow River, and Old Rope Mill. Chicopee is by far our favorite, it's reminds me so much of riding at Dupont Forest.