mtbr member

Bear Creek Ellijay, GA

Has anyone pulled a small camper up to the Bear camping area? All I've ever seen are tents, are small campers allowed? If so have you been successful in a 2wd? I'm not concerned with 99% of the road, but the massive hole in the road right where you turn off the pavement has me concerned a 2wd may not pull the camper over that hump.

Feedback?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Has anyone pulled a small camper up to the Bear camping area? All I've ever seen are tents, are small campers allowed? If so have you been successful in a 2wd? I'm not concerned with 99% of the road, but the massive hole in the road right where you turn off the pavement has me concerned a 2wd may not pull the camper over that hump.

Feedback?
    I'm curious also. I'll probably give it a try next time I head that way. My camper is a tiny teardrop so I just need space to park a car and i'm set. The last time I rode by there was only a couple cars parked and plenty of space. Likewise there was no mention of camper restrictions, except a clause stating a camping distance to the creek, which should be doable in the far end of the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Depends on the camper and tow vehicle I'd guess. You do have to cross a creek to get into the campground. Water is usually 10-12 inches deep but has a rocky bottom with pavers in spots if I recall correctly. I've seen a teardrop in there before along with the "long-term campers" that seem to just about live there in the giant red tent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evenslower View Post
    Depends on the camper and tow vehicle I'd guess. You do have to cross a creek to get into the campground. Water is usually 10-12 inches deep but has a rocky bottom with pavers in spots if I recall correctly. I've seen a teardrop in there before along with the "long-term campers" that seem to just about live there in the giant red tent.
    Correct, due to the rock and pavers I wasn't worried about the creek. It's just that huge pothole where you turn off the pavement I am worried about.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Bear creek campground is a walk-in campground. There is a small parking area but all of the camping spots are across a narrow walking bridge over the creek. Not sure there is really room in the lot for a camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mthopton View Post
    Bear creek campground is a walk-in campground. There is a small parking area but all of the camping spots are across a narrow walking bridge over the creek. Not sure there is really room in the lot for a camper.

Mike, I am talking about the flat gravel lot to the right as you climb the FS road. There's always tents and vehicles there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Mike, I am talking about the flat gravel lot to the right as you climb the FS road. There's always tents and vehicles there.
    Ah... gotcha. Yeah man, I think you can get past it if you come in from the opposite direction and hug the hill side. Know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mthopton View Post
    Ah... gotcha. Yeah man, I think you can get past it if you come in from the opposite direction and hug the hill side. Know what I mean?

That's what I was thinking too. Just hoping to hear from someone who has done it since it would be a 2-1/2 hour drive to find out it won't work! Haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well crap... let me know cause I'll be pulling up there pretty soon to boondock myself with our new camper.

mtbr member
    Nice! Ours is about the same size. 17 feet. You have 4wd though so you should be fine! Try it in 2wd and lemme know.