mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Anyone ride Alafia new section of North Creek yet?

They should call this section buzzard puke or something. We ride this trail yesterday, don't know if it is officially open yet, but it was flagged and partially ridden in. It is a nice piece of real estate, typical North Creek small rolly up and downs, off camber and twisty, very nice trail. However, about half way through, I started smelling buzzards, then started seeing them roosting in the trees in the dozens. As we continued on, I swear I saw them in the hundreds, you should have heard them as we rode through. The ground had a whitish vulture discharge covering everything, and I had to ride with my mouth shut in fear of swallowing some. Supernasty. I will ride it again though, next time I go. If the buzzards are still thick, I might bypass that going forward. I smelled buzzard goo all day, maybe just my imagination though.

mtbr member
    I was there last weekend and didn't see any new stuff so I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. I do like the new bits of singletrack on the way to Roller Coaster from the parking lot, the 3rd Rabbit Ear, and new section in the middle of Bridges (nice little double in there).

mtbr member
    It's a good chunk of trail isn't it. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I was there for the main work day when we built the majority of it. Is the hair pin turn really bad?
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member

If you are referring to that section....

where it is off cambered and falls into the water, just about everyone got off their bike and walked it. Hope it packs down a bit more. We were the first to ride it after it opened up and Eric is right about the poo, hopefully that will be gone after a few more rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The hairpin won't be bad once it is packed in, but I had to foot down in the softness. Which way is the trail meant to go anyway? Is the first entrance on northcreek in or out? They should call the new spur North Reek.

mtbr member

Where was this at...

Did we ride past this on Sunday, Wayne?

I don't remember even seeing anything remotely resembling a new trail in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by YaMon
    where it is off cambered and falls into the water, just about everyone got off their bike and walked it. Hope it packs down a bit more. We were the first to ride it after it opened up and Eric is right about the poo, hopefully that will be gone after a few more rides.

mtbr member
    I like the sound of that Eric, and yeah, that is the turn I'm talking about. For those that haven't seen it yet, it is right after the long bridge. According to Art, you hang a right there, follow it around and make another right onto the trail again about 30 or 40 ft past the entrance of it.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

visitors take

We rode that when I was there and I thought it was really fun. A buzzard flew up right in my face and I fell over, pretty funny actually seeing as I had never ridden in that kind of "jungle." I think that trail will be really great once it gets hammered by you all riding the heck out of it. Why was Gatorback closed last week? I rode it Saturday and then it was closed on Thursday.

mtbr member

Yup.......we passed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03
    Did we ride past this on Sunday, Wayne?

I don't remember even seeing anything remotely resembling a new trail in NC.
    Rode right past it. Didn't mention it cause it is still new and needs to be packed down a lot. I'll be sure to show you next time we are out there.

Have a great ride this weekend.

I hate that name.
    Rode Buzzard Puke today. The smell didn't bother me nearly as much as the big ass gator hangin out on the sandy switchback.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That really got me, knowing that there was something in that water that could eat me. Adds a whole new factor.

mtbr member
    North REEK is right.............I rode it today and it smelled like you were immersed in a large bird cage........NASTY !!!
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Trail of turds

In addition to being very sandy....

Heroes are overrated.
    Oct 2006
    Rode on Sunday and must have passed it. Thanks for the heads up on the location of it. Will check next Sunday.

Members who have read this thread: 0