Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Amelia Earhart Update FYI

This week we had a tropical storm dump a HUGE amount of water on the park, but the recent work to fill in the low spots helped greatly. I closed Trick or Treat trail until Tuesday due to a few inches of standing water in 1 area. Also, the little intermediate connector that's 300m after Camel Hump should be avoided due to a newly formed mud-puddle. THe 1st 2 corners in lilRazorback are under water, but it's actually kind of a stream-crossing type clear-water-solid bottom section, so it rides well. THe rest of the park, including ALL of Coffee trail are perfect! Absolutely amazing conditions considering how much rain the park had over those 2 days. Everything should be open for riding by Tuesday the 5th. (October 2010)
    Work on the new Kitty-Cat trail bridge is moving fast! All that remains are screwing down 1/3 of the deck boards, nailing down the shingles, and a little cleanup. It looks like the golden Gate bridge! Massive and very sturdy. The rhythm section before the new tunnel is nearly finished, and the entire trail makeover is just awesome! I think that trail will be a big hit with many riders....
    The park is in great shape, no reports of ant problems in a couple of weeks...things are looking up...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the update, cant wait to get back in there with all the updates done

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Update Oct 4th: Trick or Treat still muddy in the area that we haven't filled, I'll re-open Wednesday the 6th. Everything else is perfect and fast! Rode 3 laps today with shorts and regular short-sleeved jersey, no ants! It seems to be working... My mower broke, so some sections in lil Razorback are getting a little a little tall....anyone want to help??
    Really fast and fun conditions, and this weather is beautiful!!

Expert Crasher
    Holy cow - I haven't been to Amelia since last December's Coconut Cup race. Sounds like a lot has changed.

Amelia always was the fasted course for me on the rigid SingleSpeed.

Does it still have a decent amount of flow and speed?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Much faster (almost 1 MPH avg increase), much better flow, and I ride SS also...so go figure!!

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    Much faster (almost 1 MPH avg increase), much better flow, and I ride SS also...so go figure!!
    SAWEET! I like Oleta (a lot) but the pounding from the roots wears on me after a few hours. Amelia is always a good change of pace.

I'll hit the park tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thank u for the update...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thursday the 7th update: The County let me use one of their HUGE 72" diesel mowers...lil Razorback is golf-course pretty now!! I mowed about 12' wide..I've been riding 3 laps every morning, the course is just perfect, and everything is open except the section where we're still building the new bridge. Saturday mornings from 9am to noon we do trail maintenance...come out and help!

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    SAWEET! I like Oleta (a lot) but the pounding from the roots wears on me after a few hours. Amelia is always a good change of pace.

I'll hit the park tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.
    Hey man whats up? I remember the day i met ya. You were in El Diablo pulled up on the side of the trail hurting. I loved that bike you were riding. I think it was the Green Surely? And yeah Amelia is great for rigids andf hardtails. But i can't imagine riding Oleta on a rigid. I don't think id be anal retentive for long
    Ride

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Hey man whats up? I remember the day i met ya. You were in El Diablo pulled up on the side of the trail hurting. I loved that bike you were riding. I think it was the Green Surely? And yeah Amelia is great for rigids andf hardtails. But i can't imagine riding Oleta on a rigid. I don't think id be anal retentive for long
    Close - Black Surly! I ride Oleta a lot - and there are a few places that hurt on the rigid , but I can get around there fairly well despite the concentration of roots!

Expert Crasher
    Thursday the 7th update: The County let me use one of their HUGE 72" diesel mowers...lil Razorback is golf-course pretty now!! I mowed about 12' wide..I've been riding 3 laps every morning, the course is just perfect, and everything is open except the section where we're still building the new bridge. Saturday mornings from 9am to noon we do trail maintenance...come out and help!

BRAVO! You guys have done some GREAT work out there. I rode it Friday and will be out again today - so much fun. The course is in great shape - the hard work you've done is evident - Amelia is better than ever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Expertrider, you've done a great job out there.
    I just rode it after taking a year long hiatus and absolutely loved the trails..
    great job..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    what are the chances it will be flooded this weekend?

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmarrero89
    what are the chances it will be flooded this weekend?
    Chances are very high actually. i was planning on hitting it up this weekend but i think it will be excessively wet
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Are you kidding?? I was just there an hour ago, it's dry everywhere. (2:30pm October 14, Thursday) I walked all of Trick or treat trail, and even the exit trail. Those used to get muddy, they were dry. Unless we get some huge amount of rain tonight, the course will be in great shape. The rain actually firmed up some of the areas that were getting soft....A cold front is expected Friday, so it should be cool and dry....enjoy!!

TRANCER
    Are you kidding?? I was just there an hour ago, it's dry everywhere. (2:30pm October 14, Thursday) I walked all of Trick or treat trail, and even the exit trail. Those used to get muddy, they were dry. Unless we get some huge amount of rain tonight, the course will be in great shape. The rain actually firmed up some of the areas that were getting soft....A cold front is expected Friday, so it should be cool and dry....enjoy!!
    My bad...Damn. If i'd of known this i would of been there today
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    rode monday & tuesday conditions were perfect with a light sprinkle towards the end that made for a nice cool down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rode 2 laps this morning (Friday, October 15th, 2010) ...I saw 2 small. easily avoidable little puddles of water...that's it! I think I need to warn everyone.....
    Due to the very firm and fast conditions, you may experience prolonged smiling and shouting for joy, this could lead to a sore throat and cramping facial muscles..please use caution!.............................enjoy!!! The weather is going to be perfect all weekend, and everything is in amazing shape!

TRANCER
    Lol nice ! I will be there Sunday morning !
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We ALMOST finished the new "Golden Gate Bridge" today. The entire deck is done, all of the shingles are done, the guardrails are up along the top. We have to finish guardrails along the climb to the top, and the decent down. Also, the large berm at the bottom of the decent need construction, but all of the materials are in place. We also need to walk the trial and clean up some tree growth. It's going to be a legendary trial! The bridge is absolutely awesome! It's so bid and tall, that the first part is actually a 60' climb. The new jumps trail should be a big hit with everyone! 2 doubles and a table-top jump right before the tunnel section....I can't wait to ride it! Our crew will be away at the Alafia race, so completion will have to wait until Oct 30!! Did anyone notice some of the recent trail work??

TRANCER
    I will be there early tomorrow. I can't wait to see all the new work out there. Good job man. Amelia has gotten to be such a great trail to ride. Hey EXPERTRIDER what ever happened to the diving board that used to be out there?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    rode it yesterday, and Emilia is quickly becoming my favorite park to ride..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Diving board is still there, covered in jungle right now. I might get to it after 1) new bridge trail, 2) New BMX section, 3) Reopening Car trail for the winter (too wet in Summer)...

Expert Crasher
    Diving board is still there, covered in jungle right now. I might get to it after 1) new bridge trail, 2) New BMX section, 3) Reopening Car trail for the winter (too wet in Summer)...
    Expert - another kudos to you and your crew. Hands down, the best thing that's happened to Amelia in the past few years. Glad to see 2 Coconut Cup races there this year too - will highlight this course well.

These new sections - are they they all in Little Razorback?

My last trip out (Monday 11 Oct), saw a good sized Fox running on the trail and a handfull of turtles out. Did my best to police up some trash along the trail.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for helping with the trash...and thanks for noticing the effort our group has put in. As for the trash, I have 2 volunteer days with 30+ high-school kids coming up. They will be tasked with picking up EVERY piece of garbage that we can. I hope to have the trails perfect for race day. I also have a really cool course setup in mind for each race!!

As for the new sections: the new bridge and jumps are in the closed-off portion of the old Kitty Cat trail. THe new BMX trail and BMX TRACK will be in the big cleared area at the end of the Razorback trail. (THe trail around the official BMX track will be BMX themed with jumps, berms, etc...) Another developer is getting the legal stuff in order for the construction of the BMX race track. I'm also open to building a pump course in that area, since I'd like to make it a real destination for all off-road riders.
    We plan to actually use the full BMX track during races.....cool stuff!!

TRANCER
    Thanks for helping with the trash...and thanks for noticing the effort our group has put in. As for the trash, I have 2 volunteer days with 30+ high-school kids coming up. They will be tasked with picking up EVERY piece of garbage that we can. I hope to have the trails perfect for race day. I also have a really cool course setup in mind for each race!!

As for the new sections: the new bridge and jumps are in the closed-off portion of the old Kitty Cat trail. THe new BMX trail and BMX TRACK will be in the big cleared area at the end of the Razorback trail. (THe trail around the official BMX track will be BMX themed with jumps, berms, etc...) Another developer is getting the legal stuff in order for the construction of the BMX race track. I'm also open to building a pump course in that area, since I'd like to make it a real destination for all off-road riders.
    We plan to actually use the full BMX track during races.....cool stuff!!
    Just got back from doing 3 laps over there. Went to check out the cleared area but couldn't find where the bridge was i was looking forward to seeing it Trails look great ! Except for the area before you get to lil Razorback where there is a trash can. Looks like someone ran into the trash can and didn't bother to pick it up. Some guy was picking it up and was almost done by the time i got there and he was pissed. I told him id like to think it wa sthe racoons.But the trails were amazing today and flowed great ! The weather was amazing
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just ride along the lake and look towards the woods...I'm fairly certain you won't miss it!! I think it's visible from outer-space!

TRANCER
    Oh ok I was there. I wasn't sure if that was the right place. I actually saw it my 1st time around when I was doing lil razor back. Right before the turn where you turn to start doing the steep hills. where all that white rock is. But I didn't see the bridge. I will check it out sometime this week when I go again.
    Ride

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Wish I would have taken some pics of the "almost finished" Golden Gate Bridge for you guys. But, I doubt pics will do justice. Some of us will be out of town this next weekend for a FSC race in Alafia... But we will be back in action the last Sat of the month. If you have a few hours to spare, please come out and help out for the grand opening.

PLEASE STAY OFF THE BRIDGE UNTILL ITS COMPLETELY APPROVED AND OPEN TO RIDE! an accident or injury will only jeopardise and delay all of our efforts to make these trails the best in S. Fl.

Happy Trails!
    ~every end is a new beginning...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    just rode 2 laps today and the trails are in the best condition EVER.Thanks guys,btw the bridge looks greatttt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Expert, you guys have done a great job with the trails. I rode 3 laps today (the last one with biohazard) and it was a blast. I've seen the progression of trail improvement since I started riding last year around September, and have been very impressed. I noticed the added signage for the novice trails...that's a good thing, since I've often come across families going for a casual bike ride not know which way to go.

We looked for the new bridge as we rode the trails but couldn't find it. We did come across the BMX section though. It looks pretty cool...looks like you guys moved around a lot of gravel to make it happen!

I noticed you mentioned reopening car trail...I once lost my way on the trails and stumbled across the car trail. The setup with the old junk car seemed really cool.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    For those who have not seen the bridge in person, here are a few old pics of a while back. Much progress since then...

TRANCER
    Great meeting and riding with ya Oscar. Awesome pics Red Tomatoe! We definately did not see that. I cannot wait till that's done now. Like Oscar said we came across the BMX track (we believe) and it looks like a lot of fun. Amelia is the closest place for me to ride so seeing all of this has me pretty excited.

Btw when you guys work on it again post on here a few days before and give me a heads up. If I'm not working that weekend I'm more than glad to help. I have a crapload of tools as well that id be able to bring
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I attached a few more current pics! The climb on this bridge is a true climb, about 60'+ in length.The start is 10' wide then it narrows some towards the top. The flat part across the top is 5' wide, then the downhill part is rather steep!! It's shingled across every inch of surface for traction and durability. the wood is either 2x6 (top) or 2x10/12 on the climb.
    THe posts (12" water main) are set 4' into the ground. I included a picture of the new jumps (2 doubles and a table-top) before you ride back under the bridge (7' of clearance).
    I saw LOTS of tires tracks from riders trying to ride on the bridge today...kind of disappointing because we still had some loose shingles that got moved around with all of the skidding.... It's just not safe right now, the guardrail isn't complete, and we're talking about an 8' fall if someone screws up! Also, you can't ride either side of the trail, so the guys that went up there just skidded down every time..... It'll be open soon...lets all be patient!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amelia Earhart Update FYI-climbfromtop.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-acrosstop2.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-climb.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-tunnelfromground.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-jumpsbeforetunnel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    good pics.. ... I have to ride this friday...if anybody wants.. let me know..

TRANCER
    I was actually thinking of maybe going tomorrow or the next day. But i will give you a heads up if Friday is possible
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Another FYI for everyone.... the little fire ant that has plagued Amelia for over a decade may finally be dead for good! Today, I walked the entire 7 mile trail system (some places several times) with a broadcast spreader filled with Amdro. I applied $900.00 worth today alone!!! I covered every single trail...everywhere!! If anyone gets "itchy" or "on fire" or "Stung really bad"....it won't be at Amelia!! Personally, I haven't had an ant bite in over a month (since the last time I did about 3 miles of trail with Amdro).
    The little ant is called wassmannia auropunctata...a real bad little sucker about 0.4-0.7mm in size... Those that have been stung know how bad it is...2 or 3 bites and you're jumping in the lake!
    So, my long sleeves now stay home (unless its cold), and I bid farewell to the little red ant!!!

TRANCER
    Another FYI for everyone.... the little fire ant that has plagued Amelia for over a decade may finally be dead for good! Today, I walked the entire 7 mile trail system (some places several times) with a broadcast spreader filled with Amdro. I applied $900.00 worth today alone!!! I covered every single trail...everywhere!! If anyone gets "itchy" or "on fire" or "Stung really bad"....it won't be at Amelia!! Personally, I haven't had an ant bite in over a month (since the last time I did about 3 miles of trail with Amdro).
    The little ant is called wassmannia auropunctata...a real bad little sucker about 0.4-0.7mm in size... Those that have been stung know how bad it is...2 or 3 bites and you're jumping in the lake!
    So, my long sleeves now stay home (unless its cold), and I bid farewell to the little red ant!!!
    lol funny you mention the lake. last August when i went i was desperate racing towards the exit or a fire road just to jump in the lake. When i finally found the exit, i rode in the lake with my bike and all. I must say the water just made it worst ! At the time i didn't know what it was. i had seen those green and red caterpillars on some leaves and thought it could of been that since i really never saw any ants. It could of been that they were so small i never saw them. And the rash i got was the same i got a few times as a kid after running into those caterpillars. Trully crappy experience
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ...Biohaz..Yea, those little suckers are bad! They clamp on with their jaws which secrets a very itchy poison, then they sting the crap out of you with their stinger, which is rather painful! The combo of the 2 is just miserable! When it's wet, they get flung up from your tires and stick to your legs...and the stinging begins!!
    They live in the soil, in the vegetation, and in the trees....I had to do some major research on these suckers to find a way to kill them!! UF scientists provided the controlled studies that shows wassmannia ants just LOVE Amdro....and once their dead, they're gone forever!! But Amdro is really expensive!
    It took some clear research and well-documented studies to get the County to spring for $2000.00 worth of Amdro!! I also managed to get another $2000.00 ordered for later this month. My goal is to double-bomb those miserable suckers forever!!
    Enjoy!!

TRANCER
    That is awesome ! I havent been stung again since August before this last one. And i have visited Amelia atleast one to 2 times a week for about a year. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But have not had an encounter ever again with the little f**kers. All the wild life i have been running into lately has been very cool to see actually. Foxes, Bobcats, different turtles, some crazy looking large black iguanas, Racoons and even an Indigo snake which i have not seen down these parts in years since i was a kid. Amelia rocks nowadays
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Monitor lizards!! And they're meat eaters from what I hear!! They grow to some HUGE sizes (4'+!!) THe wildlife has been really cool...lots of families of red cardinals. I told people I've seen Bobcats, no one believes me....now I have a witness!!

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Seen the bobcat only twice in the past few years. Last year this time was my last encounter. Hope he is still around. I love the Florida Box turtles we have walking around... (specially after a rainy night) we are lucky to have so many roaming the trails, since they have been very close to being part of the "Florida Endangered Animal" list the past 50 yrs. I always stop and get them out of the direct path of the riders in fear that the next rider might hurt them accidentally.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    uhmm am i the only one that has noticed the bunch of huge spiders hanging over the trails?? im talking about the size of ur hand! perhaps its my phobia but i cant help to look for them and blast through the begining of the trail till razor back to avoid a encounter with one lol!

and where exactly is the golden gate bridge? ive gone twice this week, havent seen it.

is there anyone that rides during the week after 4pm? looking for a "slow" group to ride with

TRANCER
    uhmm am i the only one that has noticed the bunch of huge spiders hanging over the trails?? im talking about the size of ur hand! perhaps its my phobia but i cant help to look for them and blast through the begining of the trail till razor back to avoid a encounter with one lol!

and where exactly is the golden gate bridge? ive gone twice this week, havent seen it.

is there anyone that rides during the week after 4pm? looking for a "slow" group to ride with
    The spiders won't bother you man. Its definately a phobia

I am going to ride tomorrow at about 4 or 5.
    Ride

Don't Stop Spinnin'!

Those are Yellow Silk Spiders AKA Banana Spiders. Non venemous, but do sting if they bite. (hurts like a bee sting) wont kill you...

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    Those are Yellow Silk Spiders AKA Banana Spiders. Non venemous, but do sting if they bite. (hurts like a bee sting) wont kill you...
    Not to be confused with the Brazilian Banana Spider which will kill you quick.

I will be there today at around 3:30 - 4 for a couple laps if anyone is going
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not to be confused with the Brazilian Banana Spider which will kill you quick.

I will be there today at around 3:30 - 4 for a couple laps if anyone is going
    About 5 o'clock for me

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    I always stop and get them out of the direct path of the riders in fear that the next rider might hurt them accidentally.
    Me too! Love the turtles - have seen the Fox, but not the Bobcat. Saw a few of the banana spiders as well - but they're about 10 feet up so only a hazard to small birds

When is the big 'clean sweep' - October 30th?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When will the new bridge be open?
    ROY

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    EXPERTRIDER,

Thanks so much to you and your group for all the hard work you've put into Amelia to make it a great ride lately! I think i've bumped into you about 6-8 times over the past 2-3wks of riding. Once you were mowing, then you were spreading Amdro, another time weed wacking and you asked us what we thought of the trail as we rode by and I yelled "its awesome, great work!" as loud as I could haha. Yesterday I'm pretty sure I saw you working a bulldozer over on the Razorbacks while i failed to make the peak climb on my second lap .

Amelia is quickly becoming my favorite ride because its probably one of the only true XC trails down here since Markham and Oleta are more like massive obstacle courses. Amelia flows and rides so well that it makes it so much fun.

I'll definitely try to get our group together to head out and volunteer at Amelia soon, most of our group has helped at Oleta and Virginia key, can't wait to spruce up Amelia even more!

I check on the bridge progress everytime I'm out at the park and its been great speculating on what the hell you guys were building with all that massive piping, can't wait to ride it when its done! Here are some pics I've been taking over the past few weeks:

For scale I'm 6'2" riding a 19" 29'er

Latest photo from last week:

mtbr member
    that looks so awesome!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

Good job!

Amelia looks totally awesome with that bridge feature.!! I have never ridden there.....yet, but plan to change that soon!!
    Nice work from all those volunteers!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

TRANCER
    I will be there around 4 or 5 if anyone wants to take a spin today

Btw great pics themeth.
    Ride

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by roilan
    When will the new bridge be open?
    we will not be able to work on it this weekend due to some of us being up north for a FSC race in Tampa. The last Saturday of the month should hopefully be the last work day on the bridge followed by a Grand Opening.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Figured I'd offer the latest and greatest...Most of the ropes have been installed, tons of additional hardware and bracing added, and some paint placed over many parts of the bridge. Due to nearly everyone asking me about "the Golden Gate Bridge", we are considering renaming the trail "Golden Gate Trail".
    We discussed the remaining work to be done, and while it's POSSIBLE to finish this weekend, a more realistic scenario is 2 weeks before the grand opening!

I'm as excited as everyone, but lets be patient...we found several shingles that need additional nailing, and the guardrails on the climb aren't installed yet.

In other Amelia news, I played around in lil Razorback filling in a few places that were getting some erosion. I've also begun to lay out the temporary BMX extension that will be used in the next race in December...it'll be just a simple loop with a few little features....
    Enjoy!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amelia Earhart Update FYI-bridge-10-25.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Grrrrrrrreeatt job Expertrider,i just want to thank u and the rest of the voluntiers for such a amazing job,Thanks again
    ROY

TRANCER
    That looks AWESOME ! I was there Sunday and had to leave halfway through one lap as I was run into by a kid riding the wrong way(again) and destroying my front brake line then telling me he did nothing wrong. That I shouldn't of been going as fast as I was. I left before I lost my mind with him and his dad that was also going the wrong way with his son telling me I was at fault. Thanks EXPERTRIDER for all the hard work you guys are putting into the park. I noticed you guys covered a couple of eroded parts in the lil razor back area. Looking amazing. I will be back as soon as I get my hose fixed on my bike.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have ran into a few during the week like that when it not very busy so would imagine how crazy it is on the weekends

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Damn, you'd think with over 30 signs that have directional arrows and pretty good trail markings, that people would understand what the correct trail direction is.....

Sorry to hear that...

TRANCER
    Yeah man it's unbelievable. One time i came across 2 guys with no helmets and going the wrong way heading for the big lumps in lil razor back and i stopped, told them they were going the wrong way but they kept on. Like 15 minutes later when im headed to my truck i see fire rescue pulling in. I knew it was them. Apparently one of them went otb going down one of the hills. And got a pretty bad back injury. Fortunately for the kid and his dad on Sunday i was the one that crashed and got bruised up. Unfortunate for me that my brake line got trashed. 4 days to get a 4 dollar piece that noone in miami seems to have lol

Oh and btw. How did my brake line get trashed? well, get this. He ran over my front wheel basically and his "KICKSTAND" caught my brake line and broke off the connector on the hose that goes in to the calliper.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have really good news.....unofficially, we finished the Golden Gate Trail!! We kept it closed because the new berm and starting hill really needs to be watered down. I plan on stopping by Sunday (Oct 31st 2010) to water both areas down really well. If all goes well (and after I get a few laps in myself!) I will remove the barricades and allow the entire trail to be ridden!! You may notice some tall weeds throughout the trail, but all tree growth has been cut back. After the starting hill climb, its easy to get really good speed for the double-jump section. The official opening announcement will be made this week.
    Just a few more days...be patient, its awesome!!!!

TRANCER
    Niiiiiiiice ! I will be there tomorrow if you need anyone to help you test it out just let me know what time.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Don't worry!! I'll be the first to do the first full-speed test!! I'm working overtime tonight in Hialeah, so I expect to stop by when I get off of work around 7:30am...if all goes well...it should be ready to ride by 8:30ish......I have a few new "Golden Gate Trail" signs to put up also....enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    im sure we all thank you and appreciate the time and your hardwork, and those who volunteer, that went into making amelias trails the way they are. u guys have done an incredible job!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's now official, the Golden Gate Trail at Amelia is now open. The signs are up, the barricades removed, and everything ready to go! I wanted to water-in some of the new features, but God helped out and let it rain for a good hour or so early this morning! I repacked everything, and watched a dozen or so riders try out the new section!! Great reviews so far, please let me know what you all think after you ride it.......enjoy...10/31/2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's now official, the Golden Gate Trail at Amelia is now open. The signs are up, the barricades removed, and everything ready to go! I wanted to water-in some of the new features, but God helped out and let it rain for a good hour or so early this morning! I repacked everything, and watched a dozen or so riders try out the new section!! Great reviews so far, please let me know what you all think after you ride it.......enjoy...10/31/2010
    cant wait to hit it tomorrow

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by RSANT994
    cant wait to hit it tomorrow
    What time will you be hitting that?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What time will you be hitting that?
    430-5

TRANCER
    I will try to make it around that time. Blue Ford Ranger
    Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I rode Amelia for the first time this weekend and LOVED it.. Oleta is my home trail and its a relief to ride on dirt not roots and rocks... The bridge was really cool! I enjoyed the climbs and Drops, a lot of FUN!. My only suggestion is to add some more trail markers, at a few points I wasn't sure which direction to go, but after stopping for a few seconds I was abke to figure it out.. I cant wait to go out there again this weekend!
    Thanks for all your hardwork Expertrider!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Glad you liked the trails! Good point about the need for more signs... A very short time ago, there were almost no signs anywhere in the trails. I installed 30 of the signs that you see there now, and I had the County make me 20 more signs. As soon as those are delivered, I will finish installing. I'm hoping for November sometime. My goal is to make it nearly impossible to get lost or lose direction.
    It still surprises me that so many riders haven't heard about the major improvements at Amelia this year.... I'm sure the word will continue to get out...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think that even some spray painted arrows at the edge of the trails/ trees would help (not sure how long they will last though) Btw: what is the total length of the trail loop, and do you have a map I can download somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Man first of all let me thank you for the hard work you guys have put in. The trail has a great flow to it and the ants are finally gone. I ride Amelia every afternoon. (Big black f250)
    I've been keeping an eye on the bridge and this my luck. Now that it is finished I just got a really bad ankle sprain and I'm " not supposed" to go off road on the bike. I don't know I can resist now. But again great work out there guys. See u out there.

ride for fun
    great job on the trail! i ride there about every other month(live up in psl) but i look forward to my trips down south to hit this trail.

thanks to all who put time in out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well I was weak and went ridding yesterday AMA. I didn't push it hard. I even skipped Little Razorback only Bc I wanted to go thru the newly renovated section. Wow. That was cool. That trail is getting faster little by little hanks to you guys. I love that whole loop u created there. Very refreshing. Keep up the good work.

By the way it's been raining today so I'll use it as an excuse to rest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thank you all for noticing the hard work we've been putting in! I also love the new section, but I've decided to make 2 small changes: The starting hill part needs a more gradual climb on the front side, so I plan on adding several loads of fill to make it faster up the hill (the goal there was to keep your speed and get a big boost for the jumps). The next change is the jumps themselves. I've been clearing the jumps on every lap, but they have way too much lip! Even trying to stay low, I'm landing past the landing ramp and getting too much vertical height. I'm going to smooth-down the lip a little so that the jumps require a small amount of lifting up.
    I think the rest of the trail just needs a little more riding, and perhaps a few dry days to see what else needs work.
    I think the berm turned out great, but its really important to stay high and far left if you're going really fast. I've been able to rail the berm at close to full speed, and it holds the wheels without any hint of sliding.....but it's tight when you're flying!
    Today's rain was unreal...it absolutely poured all day! I'm sure everything is soaked, and probably shouldn't be ridden until Thursday afternoon (if it doesn't rain again) at the earliest.
    This Saturday morning from 9a to noon is the trail clean-up project. I have several volunteer HS groups coming out to help pick up every piece of trash in the trails. We could use help if anyone is interested. Any tires (I think there are 5 in the trails) or trash anywhere needs to go! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nothing galls me more than folks leaving trash and tires behind.. I guess they live like that at home too

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    On my way to Amelia right now. Let's see if it dried up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Firemedix,
    how wet was the trail...or has it dried up..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not bad at all taking into account the rain we've had for the last three days. Ur usual muddy spots that have not gotten filled yet. Nothing too bad. I had no issues with the mud. I did however saw they guys working out there. Again great job you guys are doing. All I've got to say is to watch for the new obstacle added right after Little Razor Back. Big tractor right there. LOL. Jk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The big backHoe is out of the way now!! We fixed the 2nd rabbit ears section. It had a little erosion starting, so I reshaped the entire downhill into something that won't erode, and something faster and much more fun. I also re-built the old carpet berm over by the Key Biscayne climb. We removed the carpet, added a ton of fill, and reshaped it smooth and FAST!
    Also, added: 2 new black-dirt berms in the rabbit ears drops after lil Razorback, a re-built starting hill and re-shaped jumps in Golden Gate Trail, and finally filled the 2nd and 3rd berms in the first trail section....(and removed some invasive trees in the process)...

Tomorrow (Saturday, November 6th 2010) we plan to fill the remaining mud puddles: early in Coffee trail before 1st climb, Coffee trail in the dense tree canopy area, old Playground area (200m after Camel Humps)... That's all that I've seen...maybe a little in lil Razorback before the tree tunnel.....

Let me know what you think...I have to pre-ride Markham tomorrow, and race on Sunday....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Expert, it sounds like you guys are doing trail maintenance like maniacs! I can't wait to get back out there and check out all the improvements, plus the Golden Gate Trail. It wasn't ready yet the last time I rode.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    this trail sounds great. is it better than markham? I make it down to south fl a few times a year and want to check it out

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I Love the trail. I don't knoe about better than Markham but it is very fast. Specially with all the stuff the crew is doing out there. As I was ridding today I waas thinking of how I ride almost every day. and every time I show up there's something new done to the trail.

By the way I still can't land on the right side of the jumps after the bridge in the new section. I have to work on that. But then again I can't expect much after 3 months of ridding.

Hey Expert by the way thanks on the heads up on the backHoe. I wished I had time to process what you said before I went into that section. LOL. Yeah that was me. But no harm done.Nothing wrong with a little walk every now and then. I bet that someone prob fell before you guys were done.

Forgot to mention I liked the "Golden Gate Bridge Trail" sign. Yeah I noticed. Again good job.

mtbr member
    I think that is at least Cat 4 hurricane proof!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The reviews sound good so far!
    I think we built the bridge for Cat 5 standards!!
    We had to do a lot to make it fairly vandal-proof...
    The question was asked: "Is it better than Markham?".
    If you're a cross-country, go fast type rider that likes jumping and good flow, then yes, without any doubt.
    If you're a big-hit, go slow, big rock drops and gnarly rock log overs type rider, then no, Markham has big rocks and extremely eroded climbs to challenge you.

Personally, I like to go fast. I like great flow. I never want to touch my brakes for the whole lap. I like smooth jumps that let me keep full-speed. I like big berms, high-speed rollers, and not getting beat to death every lap.
    Today I rode Markham to pre-ride for the State race tomorrow. I briefly helped one guy that fire rescue had to carry out. Another expert class rider fell and was hurt pretty badly.
    Has anyone seen fire rescue carry people out of Amelia?
    I'd never let my kids ride Markham. It's been my home course for almost 20 years. I've raced every race held there since 1995, including winning the solo 12 hours of Markham, and a gazillion others. I live right next to the park, and I've probably ridden there more than anyone. But it's just not being maintained properly, and that's why I took my ideas and work to Amelia.
    So, that's my opinion on if it's better......to me....yes.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey Expert u r right. I feel the same way. I reay like Amelia but to be fair I've been only once at Markham. But it is a bit more technical. But Amelia is my favorite. And if you are training for a race Amelia is the place to train. The reason I didn't said if it was better than Markham is Bc that's completely subjective. But I can say Amelia has certainly come a very long way thanks to the guys doing the hard work. Take care see u out there.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    Hey Expert u r right. I feel the same way. I reay like Amelia but to be fair I've been only once at Markham. But it is a bit more technical. But Amelia is my favorite. And if you are training for a race Amelia is the place to train. The reason I didn't said if it was better than Markham is Bc that's completely subjective. But I can say Amelia has certainly come a very long way thanks to the guys doing the hard work. Take care see u out there.
    Today I did my first Amelia ride and my second lap was with Firemedix..
    Thanks for the ride!!
    I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to ride Amelia,
    and how all of it flows so nicely. There are enough hills to climb up and down
    to keep it interesting and the new bridge-feature is really nice!
    You can't compare Markham and Amelia but IMHO these two parks complement eachother more than most people realize.
    For cardio and fast flow, go to Amelia and for technical riding go ride Markham. Both are just very different and great in their own respective ways..

TRANCER
    Great running into Expertrider this morning. Things look awesome ! Been meaning to get out there since last week but I got hit with the flu and am now finally getting over it after a week. Keep up the awesome work man. I cannot stress enough how much I and I'm sure everyone else appreciate your hard work.
    Ride

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW
    Thanks for the ride!!
    You can't compare Markham and Amelia but IMHO these two parks complement eachother more than most people realize.
    For cardio and fast flow, go to Amelia and for technical riding go ride Markham. Both are just very different and great in their own respective ways..
    What car were you guys in? I think I saw you guys. I was in my work blue Ford Ranger and the blue Giant Trance X3.
    Ride

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

What car were you guys in? I think I saw you guys. I was in my work blue Ford Ranger and the blue Giant Trance X3.
    I was in a Chevy Avalanche parked close to the trail entrance, and ride a Trek EX7. Firemedix was in his big black truck. We had just met in the parking area and went for lap #2 together. It is nice to follow someone who knows the trails..

TRANCER
    Cool, yeah man I saw you guys. And yeah its nice to know what's coming and how you're going to take it by watching the person infront of you. Especially if they know the trails like the back of their hand
    Ride

mtbr member

Fwiw......

I prefer Amelia to Markam. Hate riding and having another trail merge every 50 yards, feels like I am a hamster riding in a wheel...just not natural. I have not ridden Amelia since the changes, but even before they were done I thought that they had the best flow of any trails in S. Florida.

Now if you want to know what the BEST trails are in Florida....nothing beats the riding I have within 1/2 hour of my house....Alafia, Boyette and Carter Road. Every once in awhile we break it up and head to Santos to do the epic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Expertrider,
    congrats...you and your crew have turned Amelia into one of the best flowing parks I have ridden. I was also there today and loved how the new bridge trail flows with the rest of the park..
    It is an extremely fast park..definately a great cardio workout.
    thanks again..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW
    Thanks for the ride!!
    What's up Oscar. It was cool as ridding with you as as well. My buddy was toasted today after unloading tiles with his brother all day long. Wuss. LOL!!

Any time you wanna come down shoot me a message and I may make it out there. I'll shoot at you whenever I decide to go Markham.

Biohazard. What's up man. Yeah I saw you and your truck across from us. Awesome weather for ridding today.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    What's up Oscar. It was cool as ridding with you as as well. My buddy was toasted today after unloading tiles with his brother all day long. Wuss. LOL!!

Any time you wanna come down shoot me a message and I may make it out there. I'll shoot at you whenever I decide to go Markham.

Biohazard. What's up man. Yeah I saw you and your truck across from us. Awesome weather for ridding today.
    Your friend looked like he was toast... Will do on the message thing but I must admit I am not that much on this forum...

Biohazard, I had ridden the trail solo before hooking up with Firemedix, but had to stop a few times to get the lay of the land a bit. Following him on round two helped a lot All in all, I had a great time today!!

TRANCER
    Cool man. Next time ill stop and say hi. Maybe do a lap or 2 together. It was definately an awesome day to ride today. I'm coming back from the flu and was having a tough time today getting 2 laps in today. I had to take a very long break in between laps because I just couldn't stop coughing and the cold air wasn't helping much. Had me a little fustrated. Lol but as stubborn as I am I wasn't going to leave unless I had 2 laps in. But yeah man the weather is amazing right now. Coupled with the fast trails it was perfect.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It was cool meeting some of you on the trail recently! The feedback I'm hearing seems to indicate that we're on the right track!!
    We filled a few of the mud spots that were identified during the last heavy rain. A few more will be taken care of THIS THURSDAY!! HELP NEEDED if you can.. I'd really like to fill the 100 yards of Trick or Treat Trail that has yet to be filled in....I have the loader and tools...just need some help spreading the fill....
    This afternoon I finished up the touch-ups on the 3 berms in Coffee Trail. The 3rd berm was made much higher.....and FYI, the HS volunteer group on Saturday filled 20 large trash bags of garbage from the trail.
    We're really trying to make a good impression during the December State race, so any help with keeping things pretty is appreciated!!

Expert Crasher
    How are the conditions after the latest rains? I've been out of the country the past 8-9 days and have a few days off. Itching to get my Karate Monkey dirty again......

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Do it. The trail is perfect. No more mud. You'll love it.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast