Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    TRANCER
    I too have left ticked off at 2 things. The dumb asses riding without a helmet and dumbasses riding the wrong way. Haven't seen anyone goin that fast on the new gravel yet.
    Ride

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I guess I 'missed' out on the moron driving that fast....As I left, I did see one truck pulled over, right at the entrance to the gravel road, prolly for speeding
    I don't understand these idiots who equate being a good driver by going fast. South Florida is full of them..
    As to the morons without a helmet, apparently they have nothing between the ears worth protecting..... It's is called Darwinism..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW
    I guess I 'missed' out on the moron driving that fast....As I left, I did see one truck pulled over, right at the entrance to the gravel road, prolly for speeding
    I don't understand these idiots who equate being a good driver by going fast. South Florida is full of them..
    As to the morons without a helmet, apparently they have nothing between the ears worth protecting..... It's is called Darwinism..
    Yeah I left just a little bit after you and saw the police cars on the side. I don't really care for the people w/o helmet other than they are going to ruin something great for everyone else. The minute they get hurt some scum lawyer will contact them to sue the county. I hope you can see the ramifications from there. I've tried telling them before. And every time I run into one of them I let them know. Some listen some don't.

TRANCER
    Will be there tomorrow around 12 if anyone wants to ride. I will be there with a couple friends.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Will try to make it. Not 100% sure though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This was a timely post! Today, we received 30 new trail safety signs (direction/helmet required/beg, intermed, advanced) AND 5 HUGE new speed limit signs for the trail road (15 MPH) ...I also have another 30 colored directional arrows...
    I will be installing a ton of new signs on Friday morning beginning at 7am.
    We will be reversing the entire trail direction (for 2 months), so lots of new signs will be placed at the trailhead, and then throughout the trail marking the new direction.
    (I can use help-if anyone has a powered AUGER-BRING IT!!!)
    As for the speed limit signs, I can use some help driving the steel sign posts into the ground in a few ket locations: either side of the oak tree in the middle of the road, and BOTH sides of the road before the curve by the bike wash. Another will go half way down to the trailhead.

If anyone has the equipment, or would like to help with the signs, let me know!!
    -Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's done! The trail now rides in the reverse direction! All signs were changed, new ones were added, existing signs were covered, and a dozen new enter/exit signs placed at the trail head!!
    I was able to get 3 laps in today after the change, and its really cool! A whole new park!
    I now have a good-sized list of things to fix, so be patient, but its a refreshing change..

Enjoy!!

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks!! Happy New Year!!! Can't wait to try the new direction...

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    I rode two laps today with my 12 years old son and the new direction is awesome good job expert,i also want to let everyone know that i found a spezialized computer i saw the guy looking for it but i could not see him again,pls if someone knows the guy let him know that i have it he can contact me by sending me a pm or i left a note at the entrance of the trail (board) with my cell.Thanks HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Red_Ant; 12-31-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Roy

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    I was out there today on my 29er SS, and I have to sincerely thank you Steve for the hard work!

The place flows!!!

I'll be back tomorrow (passing Markham on the way down)....

mtbr member
    I was out there riding with Hollywood today and am as impressed as he is at how nice Amelia is flowing. Huge props to the guys doing trail maintenance!

One question though, is Amelia going to be open on new year's day? I can't find anything on holiday hours on the website for the park.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis
    I was out there riding with Hollywood today and am as impressed as he is at how nice Amelia is flowing. Huge props to the guys doing trail maintenance!

One question though, is Amelia going to be open on new year's day? I can't find anything on holiday hours on the website for the park.
    Bump....

I just called the park and they're open today.... Sun up until sundown.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Today we finished the re-construction of the Key Biscayne climb (by the lake). We also extended the new KB berm, and decided to add an optional jump line to the left of the berm...
    It's a whole lot smoother, wider, and safer........and faster!! The small jump-like bumps on the way down the hill are water bars to help shed water in the proper direction...totally intentional!
    Enjoy!!

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    Today we finished the re-construction of the Key Biscayne climb (by the lake). We also extended the new KB berm, and decided to add an optional jump line to the left of the berm...
    It's a whole lot smoother, wider, and safer........and faster!! The small jump-like bumps on the way down the hill are water bars to help shed water in the proper direction...totally intentional!
    Enjoy!!
    Ahhhh.... OK..... I was wondering today why it wasn't totally smooth...........

Again, great work and "Thanks" to all that transformed this park!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Rode on New Years Day and loved the changes. It's a new trail!

I stopped to help with the cart stuck in the trail. Man, you guys are puttin in some work. Much props to the TM crew!

Trail Junkie
    Did a little work on the log roll section near the bridge, it should keep people from getting hung up on that corner. It is the part close to where the Toro got stuck on the trail that GDubT is talking about.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cool! That corner is tough to get to.....
    My work for the week will be the last climb out of rabbit ears.....it'll be a total rebuild.
    I'm going to completely reshape the ground to berm the whole climb/drop....then road rock everything.....it'll be a great feature when done....
    Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    rode the trail on sunday with my gf and we both agree that the new reverse trail direction is awesome. The only problem we had was somewhere towards the back by the white/rock area where some of the directional arrows pointed the wrong way so we had to ask which way to go. Other than that everything was awesome. Told my friends about the direction switch and they are heading there this week to try it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    rode it today, love the new direction..awesome..

I agree tiwht DarkoMTB about the area by Chupacabra, definately needs to be better marked. All in all, great job and thanks again Steve.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    dub- I rode a couple of laps this morning and saw your work- great job! You must have used buckets or a wheelbarrow?!!?
    I started fixing the last climb in rabbit ears, but the backhoe got a front tire flat!!
    It's almost complete: I reshaped the whole face and added about 10 yards of road-rock, smoothed it out and was getting ready to add a little more to the bottom.
    Take a look if you get a chance....I didn't pack it down or make anything pretty yet....

Trail Junkie
    Yah Contractor Bucket, Rake and shovel...completely old school! I stole some soil from the sides, and some of the road rock that we emptied getting the toro out. I will ride tomorrow morning to see how rabbit ears is.

I had help from my friend Gil, the couple laps that I did on it seemed to be a lot nicer than getting stopped up on the edge and then rolling the logs. It wasn't overly difficult to do, but more of an annoyance. I als saw where chainrings were starting to chew into the logs, so it was definitely necessary. I might go shovel up some more road rock and put another coat on top now that there have probably been a lot of bikes over it to pack it down.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33
    I was out there today on my 29er SS, and I have to sincerely thank you Steve for the hard work!

The place flows!!!

I'll be back tomorrow (passing Markham on the way down)....
    Hollywood,

What chain ring / cog size are you using at Amelia ?
    I plan on riding my SS there first time this weekend

Thanks

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93
    Hollywood,

Thanks
    36 / 19

Expert Crasher
    Hollywood,

Thanks
    I'm running 32/19 on a 29er SS. It's a bit too low for Amelia, but my son is using my 18T at the moment and I don't have a King 17T in my cog collection, so I spin a bit more
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    There's only a handful of climbs there that work you (the rest are smooth rollers), and even then, you see them in advance and can get your speed/momentum up....

For me, the hardest one was the quick/steep right hander as you enter Little Razorback in reverse now...

It took me a try or two, but now I can do it since I anticipate it....

For me, trail knowledge is a big plus in SS'ing.... If you know a climb is coming, just start to speed up.... Don't wait and try to muscle it..........

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks Guys !
    Probably will try my 32 x 18 (Stumpy SS 29er) and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33
    There's only a handful of climbs there that work you (the rest are smooth rollers), and even then, you see them in advance and can get your speed/momentum up....

For me, the hardest one was the quick/steep right hander as you enter Little Razorback in reverse now...

It took me a try or two, but now I can do it since I anticipate it....

For me, trail knowledge is a big plus in SS'ing.... If you know a climb is coming, just start to speed up.... Don't wait and try to muscle it..........
    Im with you Hollywood. Im running a 34/18 combo and it is great for the new direction. That turn as you enter LRB got me the first time. It was funny Bc ever since they started talking about the reversing of the trail I always saw that section as the one that would give me issues. Is just hope when I do it now that I don't wash out and end up in the bushes. Lol.
    I lovethe new direction. It flows great and at times I think it flows better than the other way around. Once the couple berms get put in it should be really fast. Good job as well on the vine potatos. It's not fun turning with one of those under your wheels. Trust me I know.

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    I love the new direction,i think the next race will be very interesting now once you end the cammel hump is all flat and give u time tu rest for the next lap,i went last saturday and my 12 year old son did it twice with out stop for the first time,he's driving me crazy to go this wk again.Great job guys.Thanks a lot.
    Roy

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Ant
    I love the new direction,i think the next race will be very interesting now once you end the cammel hump is all flat and give u time tu rest for the next lap,i went last saturday and my 12 year old son did it twice with out stop for the first time,he's driving me crazy to go this wk again.Great job guys.Thanks a lot.

So, you actually think I'd use the regular trail start as the race start?!! Now way! The Race will start by the lake....we'll enter single-track right before the (Mickey Mouse sign) advanced area....the first trail sections will be rabbit ears/LRB/BMX/Chupacabra/Coffee etc...
    It'll be tough right from the start! THe middle will be easy, then tough again towards the end of each lap. We'll come out immediately after the swamp section (the section we exited from last race)....

I'll be racing SS..... probably running a 34/17-16 or so.....

mtbr member
    That start will be great for the large classes like 30 to 39. Can't wait to make the trip to preride.

mtbr member
    I rode Amelia today and I like the new direction. It does feel like you're on the trail a bit longer. I did get confused at razorback a bit, but the second time around was a charm. I have only ridden the trails a total of 8 times so I have no real experience there, but I like Amelia and will keep comming back for more. Kudo's to the volunteers!!!
    Last edited by OscarW; 01-09-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Expert Crasher
    Man, you guys run some tall gearing on your SS! I'm more of a spinner.....

Anyway, did a couple loops today with the new direction. Very refreshing. Overall, I think the original direction flows the best but there are many sections with the current direction that are pure bliss. Well done again!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So, you actually think I'd use the regular trail start as the race start?!! Now way! The Race will start by the lake....we'll enter single-track right before the (Mickey Mouse sign) advanced area....the first trail sections will be rabbit ears/LRB

I'll be racing SS..... probably running a 34/17-16 or so.....

EXPERTRIDER, are you riding a 26er or 29er ? What is a good lap time for you ?

We rode "your" trail for the first time today and thoroughly ourselves...A big THANK YOU to you and your crew! We could tell a lot of time and effort has been put in to get it to where it is.

I rode my 29er SS with 32 x 18 and came away with a 38 minute lap, but with some familiarity and a 32 x 17 gearing, I'm hoping to improve next time.

Funny, I lived in Miami for 16 years and it took a move to Jupiter to get me into biking....wish I would have taken advantage of Amelia and Oleta a whole lot sooner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    [QUOTE=Surfdog93]EXPERTRIDER, are you riding a 26er or 29er ? What is a good lap time for you ?

We rode "your" trail for the first time today and thoroughly ourselves...A big THANK YOU to you and your crew! We could tell a lot of time and effort has been put in to get it to where it is.

I rode my 29er SS with 32 x 18 and came away with a 38 minute lap, but with some familiarity and a 32 x 17 gearing, I'm hoping to improve next time.

Funny, I lived in Miami for 16 years and it took a move to Jupiter to get me into biking....wish I would have taken advantage of Amelia and Oleta a whole lot sooner.[/QUOTE

Judging from the last race and the input of a couple of friends I got he's at least in the 31 min range I believe. The guy is a beast. LOL!!!! He rides a 29er by the way.

You can definitely make up some time with the right gearing. I've been ridding about 6 months and find that 34-18 is ideal for me. I do spin a little but I have to compromise as I'm still building my leg strength. You should be spinning a lot on the flats. Knowing the trail is a big plus. I also ride a 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks all! It's not "My trail"....I'm just a volunteer playing in our giant sandbox!!
    I'm having as much fun building trail as I am riding!! ...Pretty much everything we're building is because we just think it'll be awesome!
    As for lap times.....we did have the race on Dec 5th, all trails were used....my first lap was 29....and that includes the road section by the lake, thru scoring, and back into the trail......
    I haven't timed the reverse direction yet, but it should be about 1+ minute slower...I just can't get the same flow yet!! ....I'm working on it....
    Also, we expended the BMX area, so no one should finish a lap under 30...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks again guys !
    Is there a favorite go-fast 29er tire combo for the track - dry conditions ?
    I'm running stock Spec. Renegade 1.95 rear, but think Captain Control 2.2....really would like more squish and traction.
    On the front I have Ardent 2.4 which is quite good all-around but maybe a bit heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks all! It's not "My trail"....I'm just a volunteer playing in our giant sandbox!!
    I'm having as much fun building trail as I am riding!! ...Pretty much everything we're building is because we just think it'll be awesome!
    As for lap times.....we did have the race on Dec 5th, all trails were used....my first lap was 29....and that includes the road section by the lake, thru scoring, and back into the trail......
    I haven't timed the reverse direction yet, but it should be about 1+ minute slower...I just can't get the same flow yet!! ....I'm working on it....
    Also, we expended the BMX area, so no one should finish a lap under 30...
    I stand by my comment. U are a beast. What's ur average speed if you don't mind?
    I was happy to do it in 36min and an average speed of 11mph. Lol.

I really like the way the trail is right now. Can't clear the jumps on under the bridge or the one I. The BMX section. Still working on it.
    Again you've put in some amazing work at the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks again guys !
    I'm running stock Spec. Renegade 1.95 rear, but think Captain Control 2.2....really would like more squish and traction.
    On the front I have Ardent 2.4 which is quite good all-around but maybe a bit heavy.
    It's funny u mention it. I just changed my rear tire today and what a diff. shaved almost 2 min of my time. I was gonna go with the Renegade but at 225#'s I decided better on the Fast Trak. I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.0 in the rear. For the front I'm running The Captain 2.2 given that my skills are weak still knobbier tire helps. But I wouldn't run it as a rear tire. Not this time of the year anyways.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Crossmark 29ers on the rear have stupid amounts of grip in those switchbacks... I still can't believe it.

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    When is the next race?
    Roy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Ant
    When is the next race?

Jan 23rd.

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    Jan 23rd.
    Thanks
    Roy

Expert Crasher
    Thanks again guys !
    The new Maxxis Ikon sticks like glue at Amelia. Light weight for the volume as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Anyone riding out there tomorrow?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am really liking how easily my Maxis Ardent 2.4 set up tubeless on the front, so will get either the Crossmark 2.1 or Ikon 2.2 for the rear.

Thanks Guys.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the same up front. The rear crossmark was kind of a ***** to get tubless on my stock rims but it's doable. I would consider the ikon for the rear if I didn't often ride some pavement. I think the ikon would be much better in the wet and would probably climb a little better on loose rocks... I love the crossmarks though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by driver145
    I have the same up front. The rear crossmark was kind of a ***** to get tubless on my stock rims but it's doable. I would consider the ikon for the rear if I didn't often ride some pavement. I think the ikon would be much better in the wet and would probably climb a little better on loose rocks... I love the crossmarks though.
    Driver145, what was the issue with the crossmark ?
    I initially tried my stock 2bliss Captain, but could not air up with foot pump. The Ardent aired right up and held really well even without the sealant

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For the ardent front I just used about half a small CO2 cartridge to get the bead to set and then finished it off with the foot pump. The ardent is wide and has a wire bead I think. It basically sits flush even when not seated. However, the crossmark is folding bead I think and its doesn't hold its form very well (its much much lighter than the ardent) and its narrow. The result is that it kind of collapses in on itself away from the rim. I should mention I am running stock monocog rims. I messed around with it on and off for two days... what finally worked: Go to gas station with good compressor, soap up tire, remove valve core, Fill with about 2 ounces of sealant... sealant will leak everywhere so try to keep it from leaking out. I basically used up all 5 minutes of the time on the compressor and it literally set the bead and died immediately. I screwed the core back in and finished with the floor pump. I had to alternate constant with intermittent air. It is a huge mess too, so bring paper towels. It leaked here and there (the rim's fault) the first two days but has been solid since, I lose maybe 2-4 psi a week.

Good luck. If the ikon holds form better it should be easier (and it looks like its wider too).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks driver145.
    Tried my Rampage 2bliss tonight on rear, but that is a really thin tire, so no way on foot pump. Got a good relationship with tire shop down the road, so will try with their compressor.
    As you said the Ikon is a bit wider and the sidewalls are a little more rigid, like Ardent, so should be easier.

mtbr member
    Has anyone been to Amelia after all this rain we have had these past couple days. I was out last friday for the first time in a long time and I wanna hit it again either tomorrow afternoon or Friday, just dont wanna waste the gas if its gonna be flooded.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast