Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I work a normal job, so riding during the day is tough. Maybe one day if you ride later ( I'm off work 6:30 ) I'll meet you up at markham. My office is right down the road from there.

mtbr member
    i do too only i get out at 4:30, about half hour or 45 away from markham depending on traffic. (Downtown Ft. Lauderdale)

mtbr member
    we should get a south florida group together....we use to do this waaay back when, about 5-6 years ago...rode with the people who ran tredhed.com. Use to ride saturday or sunday for a few hours...went all over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner
    haha yeah i remember you guys. nice bikes! we'll be at markham today around 5:30-5:45 if you guys want to get some riding in!
    yeah thanks ill probably be riding in amelia on sunday morning. My weekend is scheduled very tight.. i really wanted to get more riding in this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ......so.....back to the Amelia discussion........

Someone actually tried to remove a little double-jump yesterday...they removed several shovels full of fill to flatten-out the jump.....but, don't worry....
    Today, I "repaired" the damage using about 2000lbs of fill with the backhoe....the jump is now a little larger....enjoy!

Also, someone removed 8 large concrete blocks from the top of the very first berm in the trails! I returned the concrete, then added a couple of thousand pounds of fill and re-shaped the berm again......silly people...why mess up the trail?

Unauthorized trail work is extremely frowned upon! .....and, anything done will have to be "repaired", usually much larger, heavier, bigger, etc.....

again....enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Really??? Good job. I hope whoever tried it gets the point.

mtbr member
    larger heavier and bigger works for me! was there last night and wondering if this was before or after said repairs. either way had a great ride. i gotta say that newer section on the back with all the S turns and the smaller dirt jumps is wayyyy fun. i started learning how to really carve out those high berm turns and use them to lower my lap times (hint, lockout your suspension, lean in and point your knee, and you get rocketed around those things like a carnival ride)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    THis week we repaired lots of heavy skidding holes. Pavers were added, and the exit of Razorback was rebuilt.
    We never expected to have over 2000 weekly riders at the park, so some of the wear is just amazing! We are quickly learning, and building things that are probably grossly overbuilt for most parks, but absolutely necessary at Amelia!
    A very exciting large area of trail is being developed. It will be the "paintball loop" trail. It is about 90% finished, but that means nothing because the last 10% is wet jungle! So, we will be working with the big tool for a while to finish this new awesome trail area.
    The trail actually passes right across the back of the paintball business in the extreme NW corner of the park. Me and that business owner are working together to develop the area for our mutual benefit (he has a full concession stand and will be selling tubes, chains, etc!!) It will add another 0.8 miles. We are also working on the old car trail area for a total of 1.5 miles of "new" trail to be opened within a few months.
    enjoy!

TRANCER
    Expert you really love this ! Mad thanks to you dude. Amelia is slowly becoming my favorate trail thanks to you. In other words. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK !
    Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    THis week we repaired lots of heavy skidding holes. Pavers were added, and the exit of Razorback was rebuilt.
    We never expected to have over 2000 weekly riders at the park, so some of the wear is just amazing! We are quickly learning, and building things that are probably grossly overbuilt for most parks, but absolutely necessary at Amelia!
    A very exciting large area of trail is being developed. It will be the "paintball loop" trail. It is about 90% finished, but that means nothing because the last 10% is wet jungle! So, we will be working with the big tool for a while to finish this new awesome trail area.
    The trail actually passes right across the back of the paintball business in the extreme NW corner of the park. Me and that business owner are working together to develop the area for our mutual benefit (he has a full concession stand and will be selling tubes, chains, etc!!) It will add another 0.8 miles. We are also working on the old car trail area for a total of 1.5 miles of "new" trail to be opened within a few months.
    enjoy!

this is just awesome!

mtbr member
    The word is....AWESOME!!!!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    was riding amelia today with two buddies. all three of us got a flat tire in the technical area towards the middle . there is a solid piece of pointy metal in the ground right in the middle of the path. god forbid someone falls on that. its pretty dug in there wouldnt budge. it looks like over time it got exposed with the riding. it needs a good couple hits hit with a hammer. but anyways just a heads up. if its still there saturday early morning ill take care of it. keep up the good work with the trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I heard quite a bit about it....it was a non-issue in the forward direction, but now in reverse it's pointed right at you....
    It was beaten down pretty good today, but I'll try to get the backhoe in close to remove it.......sometimes these things have cranes and bulldozers attached to them!!!! It could turn into a HUGE project...or just a little random piece of metal....

mtbr member
    There's another one too, trying to remember how to describe where it is. Near the BIG climb by the lake, in reverse (current direction) you climb a little hill with some boards/fence to the left, then there are some little pump/up-n-downs with the conveyor belt/carpet material. Its in one of those humps.

Sorry if that's not helpful enough.

GREAT WORK OUT THERE GUYS!!! Now if it would just rain a little and pack this sand down!

mtbr member

Wink

At the rate Amelia is being maintained, I am sure this issue is no longer a problem

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The metal in the trail was found! I decided to place about 2000lbs of road-rock over it (about 18" thick)...it should never be a problem again!

I also removed 2 HUGE cables that were in the trail.... Both of the cables were massive (over 1" diameter and 100+ feet long- and BURIED!) there was no way those were coming out by hand. One of the cables came out of the trail area, but it was attached to something heavier and stronger than the 30,000lb backhoe that I was using to pull it out! So, it was piled up out of the way, beside the trail. In the process, the cable cut one of the hydraulic hoses on the backhoe, so we only had 1 backhoe for trail-building today. Hopefully that machine gets fixed quickly.

Using the other backhoe, we built a new massive berm in Coffee Trail...it came out great!! We used over 30 yards of road-rock and built it around 4 to 5 feet high. It has a 15' radius, so it can handle any speed that a MTB can reach!!

We also started to clear another trail section that is just before (or just after in reverse direction) the Coffee Trail. At the very end, a giant tree caught and broke one of the steering cylinders, so today I broke 2 backhoes!! Hopefully we can get both machines fixed quickly....there's more trail to build!!!!!

enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yes i noticed. it was done so well i totally forget where it was at!

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Expert....

I was there for the FF Olympics, and I want to again say "Thank You" for making Amelia an awesome park to ride.... (I now prefer to drive past Markham).....

It's fun enough for an experienced rider (good cardio workout), as well as, having a place that I can bring my wife to that won't kill her or deter her from ever riding again (I'm trying to get her into the sport).....

Ride Safe Brother...........
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD33; 05-16-2011 at 06:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sounds awesome expert! What is the best time to ride now? Or how early do u guys go out there?

mtbr member

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Gmarrero89
    Sounds awesome expert! What is the best time to ride now? Or how early do u guys go out there?

I find that traffic is more of a deterent to get to Amelia early than anything else...We have such "wonderfully talented drivers" down here...
    The earlier times are better with summer temps approaching fast ofcourse, so the earlier the better but I-75 is a..^@%*%$# in the early AM unless you are on the road at 4AM..

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    The metal in the trail was found! I decided to place about 2000lbs of road-rock over it (about 18" thick)...it should never be a problem again!

I also removed 2 HUGE cables that were in the trail.... Both of the cables were massive (over 1" diameter and 100+ feet long- and BURIED!) there was no way those were coming out by hand. One of the cables came out of the trail area, but it was attached to something heavier and stronger than the 30,000lb backhoe that I was using to pull it out! So, it was piled up out of the way, beside the trail. In the process, the cable cut one of the hydraulic hoses on the backhoe, so we only had 1 backhoe for trail-building today. Hopefully that machine gets fixed quickly.

Using the other backhoe, we built a new massive berm in Coffee Trail...it came out great!! We used over 30 yards of road-rock and built it around 4 to 5 feet high. It has a 15' radius, so it can handle any speed that a MTB can reach!!

We also started to clear another trail section that is just before (or just after in reverse direction) the Coffee Trail. At the very end, a giant tree caught and broke one of the steering cylinders, so today I broke 2 backhoes!! Hopefully we can get both machines fixed quickly....there's more trail to build!!!!!

enjoy!!
    Bummer on the breakage - I was the one who held traffic while you pulled out the long cable

I've got a machete, gas powered weed whacker and gas powered leaf blower. With summer coming and the sub-tropical growth spurt, I'm game to come trim back foliage and clear the old/big leaves - if you need it.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Seriously, were u drunk or are u just a fukin jackass? MAN UP?? Lmao

beware the grammar police
    me and the wife rode amelia today..... amelia is single speed rigid approved now.... *(for me) the wife rides single speed with a suspension fork on it.... anyway.... we thoroughly enjoyed the ride and appreciate the very hard work you guys have put in there....

and to the "school4you" guy... please just shut up.....
    owner and founder of www.moto-rush.com motorcycling community

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    haha,don't feed the troll.

that's someone that was asking what kind of mtb shoes that does not have cleats,and asking how to remove a derailleur hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastonridr
    haha,don't feed the troll.

that's someone that was asking what kind of mtb shoes that does not have cleats,and asking how to remove a derailleur hanger.
    kinda depressing when we can't have a decent discussion without someone like that attempting to ruin it....

Trail Junkie
    Not to discredit the work at Virginia Key, but it has quite a ways to go to match Amelia...and a lot more trail needs to be implimented. If you count only the singletrack its under 3 miles in distance. That is not even half the length of Amelia. You also have to consider the condition that Amelia was just over a year ago...it was horrific. I think by the sheer numbers of riders that ride Amelia alone speaks for the quality of trail, not to mention how many "weekend warriors" Amelia has stolen from Markham and Oleta.

Events are starting to happen regularly at Amelia with the Coconut Cup, and now Down 2 Earth Duathlons and Triathlons. I only suspect it will continue to grow especially when Car and Painball trail open up! Which will put it close to 10 miles!

Its just sad that kids like "School4you" which show no class and have very little knowledge have found their way to MTBR. I guess the lack of respect is fitting since he hasn't put in a minutes worth of volunteer work...most likely at any of the parks here which leaves very little room for complaints.
    Last edited by dubdryver; 05-18-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by school4you
    so, based on the 9 pages of post this is what i have determined about this park (Amelia)

It is the softest, friendliest, pussiest park in all of south Florida.

it is so safe that your wives and kids can ride.

It is so safe you can ride without helmets.

What the hell... i thought this park was cool until i tried out Virginia Key. I haven't been back to Amelia since VK opened up. that place is awesome

Expertrider has some competition and some learning to learn.

I always wondered why you guys are 100% decked out to ride at Amelia. The shorts, the matching shirts, the camelback, knee pads, helmets... like wtf???? This is the kiddie ride of mountain biking... MAN UP

Any man in full gear at Amelia is a ***** at all other locations. POINT BLANK

:::FIRE FLAME::::

where did this clown come from???

mtbr member
    so, based on the 9 pages of post this is what i have determined about this park (Amelia)

It is the softest, friendliest, pussiest park in all of south Florida.

it is so safe that your wives and kids can ride.

It is so safe you can ride without helmets.

What the hell... i thought this park was cool until i tried out Virginia Key. I haven't been back to Amelia since VK opened up. that place is awesome

Expertrider has some competition and some learning to learn.

I always wondered why you guys are 100% decked out to ride at Amelia. The shorts, the matching shirts, the camelback, knee pads, helmets... like wtf???? This is the kiddie ride of mountain biking... MAN UP

Any man in full gear at Amelia is a ***** at all other locations. POINT BLANK

:::FIRE FLAME::::

hey bro... u mad?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Guys don't even acknowledge this person. Can't you see he's just looking for attention? Just ignore his whine and ride on. See u all out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here are some of the previous posts by that idiot above:

“my favorite park is Amelia because it is the safest. There deadly jagged rocks everywhere like Oleta and Markham.”

“the guys have done a trememdous job with Amelia, it is the safest and best park out there. “

“Whenever i ride Markham i am always thinking to myself why doesnt anyone remove those crazy jagged sword tip rocks out of the way. If someone falls there they can be really screwed but at Amelia the most that can happen is you fall on nice dirt or on some bushes. There really isnt that deadly risk factor at Amelia and for that I am grateful.”

“Whatever deadly stuff there was at Amelia has been removed. This park is awesome!”

“i personally think helmets are gay and excessive at Amelia but i follow the rules....
    i've seen those same guys stopped on the trails smoking a joint and then hopping back on the bike like it was no big deal.”

“park if awesome! STOP HARRASSING PEOPLE WHO DON'T WEAR HELMETS!! There really isn't a need for helmets at Amelia with the exception of the signs.”

So, the guys loves the park one week, then hates it. (BiPolar ??)
    And, obviously the guy has a problem wearing a helmet and following rules..probably because he's just a teenager or very immature pre-adult.

In any case, my future updates on the status of Amelia Earhart trails can be found at either of the Facebook pages dedicated to the park: Mountain Biking at Amelia Earhart Park, or Amelia Earhart Mountain Bike Trails. I post as an administrator on both pages. Also, the good folks at ClubMud.com have a well-moderated forum that I also frequently update with the latest and greatest.

So, for all of the official latest information, please visit any of the sites mentioned above! Thanks for the great discussion on MTBR forums!!
    -expertrider
    Last edited by EXPERTRIDER; 05-19-2011 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I rode Markham and Amelia today and had a great ride in both and find that these two parks complement eachother very well.
    As I don't ride Amelia as much as I'd like to, I do notice the improvements right away and like the direction this park is going.
    Keep up the good work.!

me and the wife rode amelia again today... I must thank you guys for the hard work yall have put in.... great work!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm actually impressed with how long this thread has existed before a troll showed up, lol! I guess that goes to show how much everyone appreciates the hard work being done at Amelia.

Goodbye, troll! Have fun compensating for your *short*comings, lol! Have a nice day!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just wanted to chime in and let the crew at Amelia know you are doing an amazing job with the trails. I live right next to Markham and have been riding there for 12 years, and lately I have been cruising right by it on my way to Amelia when I have the time. Both trails are awesome. Thank you!!!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by oscar99ta
    I'm actually impressed with how long this thread has existed before a troll showed up, lol! I guess that goes to show how much everyone appreciates the hard work being done at Amelia.

Goodbye, troll! Have fun compensating for your *short*comings, lol! Have a nice day!
    Never feed one...

ok... some a$$hole pulled the carpet back on one of the hills about ~3/4 mile in.... just on the other side of the crest of the hill they pulled the carpet back and spent a good amount of time digging a hole just big enough to swallow the front wheel when you go over the top.....

why are people doing things like this there??

is it funny to booby trap something so someone gets hurt?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    will be in MIA this weekend, looking forward on hitting this trail

mtbr member
    you won't be disappointed. they're doing an awesome job on these trails.

mtbr member

Let me know if you want to sue, i know just the right firm
    i don't want to sue anyone sweetie pie.....

i want to catch them in the act......

i promise i can break them from the habit....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    i don't want to sue anyone sweetie pie.....

i want to catch them in the act......

I hope you do catch 'em too,but looks like you already did.there is only one poster in this thread that promotes negative atmosphere regarding the trails.promoting "no helmet" while riding. "It is so safe you can ride without helmets",exact quote from his posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    does this involve a backhoe? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Eastonridr
    I hope you do catch 'em too,but looks like you already did.there is only one poster in this thread that promotes negative atmosphere regarding the trails.promoting "no helmet" while riding. "It is so safe you can ride without helmets",exact quote from his posts.
    he's angry cause someone went down on southbeach and slapped the kawk out of his mouth....

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner
    does this involve a backhoe? haha
    lol.... naw... i wouldn't kill em.... but it will be nice for the crowd here watching the video of this vandal repairing the damage they did with their freshly kicked ass....

*(this is where troll boy will come and talk about how tuff he is and threaten and blah blah blah.... )

Hmmmmm, I wonder if they would want to sue you.
    Ttyl sugar tits..
    your welcome tuff guy....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    the amelia thread
    yeah, i'm drunk, but great post. I've been watching that thread for a while and it's astounding. I like the fact that they're on bikes and having fun, but the safety love in that thread just kinda creeps me out.

good job stirring the pot.

LOL I RECEIVED THIS ON A PM....
    what? no childish post and reaction from you about your "wear no helmet promotion".or,you probably got your senses in your "helmetless brain" ,that,just maybe,you might be the one to get sued for promoting not to wear helmets.

mtbr member
    I need a trailer with a little water tank on it for my bike so i can go wet down those trails. Damn they are sandy!!!!

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrone.minton View Post
    I need a trailer with a little water tank on it for my bike so i can go wet down those trails. Damn they are sandy!!!!
    Got some much needed rain today. Great dirt tomorrow.

Hoping this thread will get back on track.......
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    Got some much needed rain today. Great dirt tomorrow.

Hoping this thread will get back on track.......
    It will get back on track as soon as the troll stop posting here
    Last edited by Red_Ant; 05-31-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Roy

mtbr member
    Built 4 new berms today in some super sandy areas. It's getting better every day!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

If everybody would just ignore the troll posts, IT will go away...
    Anyway thanks for the hard work.
    I just came back from Santos and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a mix of Markham and Amelia!! What a nice park Santos is!! But I must say that what we have down here, does prepare you for other trails!

Expert Crasher
    Built 4 new berms today in some super sandy areas. It's getting better every day!
    I rode those new berms on Sunday - outstanding! Turned my fasted lap yet at Amelia - hooked up another guy on the trail and we pushed it the whole way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    I rode those new berms on Sunday - outstanding! Turned my fasted lap yet at Amelia - hooked up another guy on the trail and we pushed it the whole way.
    i still have yet to finish the whole park without rest

also... couldn't resist.
    Last edited by TwoNin9r; 05-31-2011 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post
    Don't feel bad as the heat and humidity don't help matters either..
    In the winter months, I ride two laps back to back in either Markham or Amelia, but lately it's down to one lap without rest but with a stop in between the laps, IF I get the second one in at all...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey all,
    just did amelia for the first time yesterday, it was very nice!!
    did the first lap just playing around finding the lines and getting used to the ups and downs, and on the second lap i knocked it out in 35 mins

very cool park. the wash down station was a tad far but still good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post

the only advice I can give you, is do the park at a slow pace, making sure to never get your feet of the pedals. try to get rest on the flats and the downs, while still riding, then once you are able to finish the park like that, then just start speeding up.

also running (4-6 miles) a couple of times a week helps a ton too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    I just came back from Santos and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a mix of Markham and Amelia!! What a nice park Santos is!! But I must say that what we have down here, does prepare you for other trails!
    In my opinion amelia is much better than santos. i was there in march and was bored with the trail, didnt remind me anything of markham or amelia. it was all flat and windy except for a few places like magic mountain. rode amelia on monday and enjoyed it much better.

mtbr member

Santos is......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMTB View Post
    In my opinion amelia is much better than santos. i was there in march and was bored with the trail, didnt remind me anything of markham or amelia. it was all flat and windy except for a few places like magic mountain. rode amelia on monday and enjoyed it much better.
    HUGE. You obviously only rode the yellow trails and did not get out to Landbridge or nayls.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i was only there once for a 4 day weekend and did ride about 80+ miles but i guess we didnt venture out to the way back parts. now that i do remember the few black diamond trails by the freeride section are pretty markham like. guess the fast winding trails stick out more in my memory

mtbr member
    Everybody do the rain dance! The trails are a sandy, slippery mess right now!

mtbr member

Tell me which part of Markam reminds you of Santos....

mtbr member

My Favorite Trails.......

Here's a bunch of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCQQ...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VyXRIQeK_b8

http://video.mpora.com/watch/NEoMhGiII/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIWAItymHCY

These trails are located in Jamaica and are private. The only way you can ride them is by attending the Jamaica fat Tire Festival in February or a member of a club. There is over 100 km of trails and if you shuttle 3x, you can do 10,000 vertical feet in one day. The helicopter is used by the owner to shuttle to the top of the mountain. The rest of us are shuttled by Polaris Razors.......February 21-26, 2012. www.smorba.com

Everybody do the rain dance! The trails are a sandy, slippery mess right now!
    +100...... me and the wife made a lap today... its a sugar sand mess...lol...

still a great trail tho....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by talca View Post
    the only advice I can give you, is do the park at a slow pace, making sure to never get your feet of the pedals. try to get rest on the flats and the downs, while still riding, then once you are able to finish the park like that, then just start speeding up.

also running (4-6 miles) a couple of times a week helps a ton too.
    yeah i used to run... i have extremely bad ankles and some other foot problems and biking is kind of the only exercise that doesn't bother me. i might suck it up and run anyway because i really miss it. i need to lose 20 lbs anyway and that could help!

a am headed out to amelia today though!!!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMTB View Post
    In my opinion amelia is much better than santos. i was there in march and was bored with the trail, didn't remind me anything of markham or amelia. it was all flat and windy except for a few places like magic mountain. rode amelia on monday and enjoyed it much better.
    Don't get me wrong as I like Amelia a lot and try to ride it as much as I can. I just loved the fact that Santos has a lot of cool Forrest trails that go on forever. I did the John Brown trail that was like Rock Garden in Markham except much longer with cool views too.
    The blue trails in Santos are more like Amelia without Razorback.
    Vortex is insane and I don't know how anyone has the balls and skill to drop 20 ft and land in one piece... I am actually a little jealous there.....
    I like our South Florida trails and think they are a great preparation for other trails in the country.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Vortex is just a small part of that whole area and is quite unique.

Trail Junkie
    A lot of work goes into keep Amelia up, and I bet on a normal weekend, Amelia (now) sees more riders than Santos, but Santos stays relatively in the same condition year round. Santos is a bigger trail...much bigger..around 75mi.

I don't think its fair to compare the two unless you are a short distance rider. Vortex is technical, definitely Black Diamond, and blows Amelia away in that aspect. It is however hard to differentiate the intermediate and the novice trail difficulty because they really are the same IMO. I think this is where people get annoyed by Santos. You will spend a lot of time on twisty novice trails which is good if you are a spinner and used to what the midwest is mostly like. If you like technical, stuff like Markham, you will find yourself doing loops at the Vortex, and not much else.

I will have to say though since we are comparing parks. The Alafia/BalmB are better than ours, but this is just my opinion. The only complaint about those trails is the 2mi. hike back in Balm to get to the good stuff. It would not be cool if someone were to have a major bike malfunction or got seriously hurt. Other than that, those 2 trails are amazing with such diversity!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    . The Alafia/BalmB are better than ours, but this is just my opinion. The only complaint about those trails is the 2mi. hike back in Balm to get to the good stuff.

That;s why I live within 15 minutes of both parks ( Fishhawk). A lot of people complain about the 2 mile ride to the trails at Boyette. Doesn't bother me in the least. Great for warming up and cooling down...besides SST is open again.

mtbr member
    holy sandy hell batman! i went to amelia yesterday with a friend who'd never been MTB before, he almost didn't want to come back cause it was like quicksand out there! i love the new renovations though, with some rain that place would be sooooo fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    A lot of work goes into keep Amelia up, and I bet on a normal weekend, Amelia (now) sees more riders than Santos, but Santos stays relatively in the same condition year round. Santos is a bigger trail...much bigger..around 75mi.

I don't think its fair to compare the two unless you are a short distance rider. Vortex is technical, definitely Black Diamond, and blows Amelia away in that aspect. It is however hard to differentiate the intermediate and the novice trail difficulty because they really are the same IMO. I think this is where people get annoyed by Santos. You will spend a lot of time on twisty novice trails which is good if you are a spinner and used to what the midwest is mostly like. If you like technical, stuff like Markham, you will find yourself doing loops at the Vortex, and not much else.

I will have to say though since we are comparing parks. The Alafia/BalmB are better than ours, but this is just my opinion. The only complaint about those trails is the 2mi. hike back in Balm to get to the good stuff. It would not be cool if someone were to have a major bike malfunction or got seriously hurt. Other than that, those 2 trails are amazing with such diversity!
    I agree on the novice and intermediate trails being the same at Santos. I saw no difference there either. Then the gap between the black diamond and the easy ones is big and for novice riders can be a handfull.
    I have said that riding Amelia and Marham does prepare you for most other trails around and that is why these two compliment eachother well IMHO.
    I have no experience with Alafia/BalmB, but I am sure that they are nice as well.

Now if it only would rain so the trails get packed again...

mtbr member
    I agree on the novice and intermediate trails being the same at Santos. I saw no difference there either. Then the gap between the black diamond and the easy ones is big and for novice riders can be a handfull.
    I have said that riding Amelia and Marham does prepare you for most other trails around and that is why these two compliment eachother well IMHO.
    I have no experience with Alafia/BalmB, but I am sure that they are nice as well.

Now if it only would rain so the trails get packed again...

I Urge you to take a trip to the Tampa area if you have not ridden Alafia, Boyette or Carter Road ( Loyce Harp Park). I believe these 3 trails are the best in Florida with Santos right up there as well. Boyette has a trail called Ridgeline which is the Crown Jewel of all trails. Two miles of rolling terrain with a big drop offshoots. You want to see a pcaked parking lot that overflows, check out Boyette on a saturday or Sunday. Funny enough, even though there may be tons of cars, you never see that many people on the trails. It is that big.

Carter Road is incredible as well. Especially the "fingers". Think of riding a narrow ridge 30-40 feet above alligator infested water (on both sides)......Mating season is when it get's scary because you hear the males and their croaking below you.

That being said, it is all good. I used to live in Miami and think that Amelia Earhart is currently the best trails there. Lots of varying stuff. I am disappointed at Markam because you feel like a hampster in a wheel. The flow is just not there and every few yards another trail intersection. There are no parks in the S. Florida area that give you the feeling of being way out there....because you just don't have the space. Great what you have done, but I don't like the consant twisting and turning, just not natural and you feel like riding in a small park.

Let me know if you ever head up this way, I would love to take you out and show off our trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

amelia v. markham

I haven't made it down to Amelia yet, but plan to once we get some rain. My "home" trail is Markham and I go to Alafia every once in a while. The blacks at Alafia kicked my a## but a great trail system and worth the trip for the East Coast guys, you almost forget you are in Florida! How does Amelia compare to Markham, which is more technical? Also anybody make it up to the Ft Pierce trail? My LBS recommended it.

Trail Junkie
    Alafia is more technical than Markham if you ride Gatorback, Rollercoaster, Bridges and Rabbit Ears. Balm Boyette is about equal...maybe slightly less technical..but so fun! So flowy at both parks!

Oh I love Alafia/Balm. Been to Carder Rd. one time. It was nice, kind of a mix between Alafia/Balm/Santos. Nice because you can actually hit all three parks being that they aren't that far apart in proximity.

Ridgeline is definitely my favorite at Balm, but what I really like is the Abyss connectivity. You can seriously just keep looping that for the day and never get bored!

At Alafia, I think its Northcreek (enterence out to the right from the parking lot) and Rollercoaster. I feel that Northcreek?? is the best intermediate trail in florida IMO. I just wish the connectivity was a little better in junctioning it through to the stuff in between to Rollercoaster. Rockgarden means you miss out on Bridges without backtracking, which means you also miss Gatorback aswell. Coming out of Bridges means you have to take a job over to hit Rabbit ears before hitting Rollercoaster and Moonscape.

If I move, this will be on my trip out for sure! Best 2 trail parks in Florida IMO (Balm and Alafia)
    Last edited by dubdryver; 06-02-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member

The idea behind Alafia......

Oh I love Alafia/Balm. Been to Carder Rd. one time. It was nice, kind of a mix between Alafia/Balm/Santos. Nice because you can actually hit all three parks being that they aren't that far apart in proximity.

Ridgeline is definitely my favorite at Balm, but what I really like is the Abyss connectivity. You can seriously just keep looping that for the day and never get bored!

At Alafia, I think its Northcreek (enterence out to the right from the parking lot) and Rollercoaster. I feel that Northcreek?? is the best intermediate trail in florida IMO. I just wish the connectivity was a little better in junctioning it through to the stuff in between to Rollercoaster. Rockgarden means you miss out on Bridges without backtracking, which means you also miss Gatorback aswell. Coming out of Bridges means you have to take a job over to hit Rabbit ears before hitting Rollercoaster and Moonscape.

If I move, this will be on my trip out for sure! Best 2 trail parks in Florida IMO (Balm and Alafia)

If you notice....the parking lot is central to Alafia. You go out and do different loops and come back to the parking lot. Unlike Bopyette......once you commit, you are way out there and committed to a loong ride. If you do ALL the trails including the quadrants, it will take you around 3 hours.

Alafia just added some new trails to Northcreek and Gatorback. Once you know the trails at Alafia, you usually group them in a way that splits the ride in two with abreak in between.

Our Alafia ride is usually:

Northcreek, Rockgarden, Bridges, Rabbit Ears.

Break and then

Rollercoaster and Moonscape,possibly Gatorback.

Trail Junkie
    I don't want to brag and say I am a bada$$, but I've drove up early in the morning straight to Balm, do a couple full loops in a few hrs. Make a lunch break, go to Alafia and jump in and go straight through and do everything. Then go setup camp and repeat the next day.

Maybe I am doing Alafia wrong, but I usually start out with Northcreek, take the jog back to start Gatorback to Bridges. After that, go through Sand Pipe(?)...some green trail (nice break to catch get the lungs/legs back)...Rabbit ears, Rollercoaster to moonscape. Its either that or skip Gatorback and get Rockgarden...

By memory there is really only one part that scares me in that park and its a little descent back in the black part of Rockgarden...Fear of falling and breaking something or going into that swamp and catching some evolved virus that will make me puke out my insides :P
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member

I know the spot all too well......

I don't want to brag and say I am a bada$$, but I've drove up early in the morning straight to Balm, do a couple full loops in a few hrs. Make a lunch break, go to Alafia and jump in and go straight through and do everything. Then go setup camp and repeat the next day.

Maybe I am doing Alafia wrong, but I usually start out with Northcreek, take the jog back to start Gatorback to Bridges. After that, go through Sand Pipe(?)...some green trail (nice break to catch get the lungs/legs back)...Rabbit ears, Rollercoaster to moonscape. Its either that or skip Gatorback and get Rockgarden...

By memory there is really only one part that scares me in that park and its a little descent back in the black part of Rockgarden...Fear of falling and breaking something or going into that swamp and catching some evolved virus that will make me puke out my insides :P
    Lots of people have gone into the water at that spot. It used to be worse as you approached that spot coming down that narrow ridge......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    I Urge you to take a trip to the Tampa area if you have not ridden Alafia, Boyette or Carter Road ( Loyce Harp Park). I believe these 3 trails are the best in Florida with Santos right up there as well. Boyette has a trail called Ridgeline which is the Crown Jewel of all trails. Two miles of rolling terrain with a big drop offshoots. You want to see a pcaked parking lot that overflows, check out Boyette on a saturday or Sunday. Funny enough, even though there may be tons of cars, you never see that many people on the trails. It is that big.

Carter Road is incredible as well. Especially the "fingers". Think of riding a narrow ridge 30-40 feet above alligator infested water (on both sides)......Mating season is when it get's scary because you hear the males and their croaking below you.

That being said, it is all good. I used to live in Miami and think that Amelia Earhart is currently the best trails there. Lots of varying stuff. I am disappointed at Markam because you feel like a hampster in a wheel. The flow is just not there and every few yards another trail intersection. There are no parks in the S. Florida area that give you the feeling of being way out there....because you just don't have the space. Great what you have done, but I don't like the consant twisting and turning, just not natural and you feel like riding in a small park.

Let me know if you ever head up this way, I would love to take you out and show off our trails.
    Will do as I am finally getting some time for the other trails too. Looking forward to exploring new territory!!

mtbr member
    hitting amelia today, anyone know if it's still a sandy mess? i'd like to get a fast ride in without washing out all over the place... also, when will the trails be normal direction again?

mtbr member
    If you aren't aware now, the trails are a sandy mess!

And I think they will be reversing in a month or two.

mtbr member
    If you aren't aware now, the trails are a sandy mess!

And I think they will be reversing in a month or two.
    yep. still sandy as hell. really gets the legs burning though! really sucks on my current tires because they're AWFUL in sand but oh well. the park is coming together so nicely and i can't wait for it to be in forward direction again!

Trail Junkie
    School, you are such a tool.

The sugar sand will be subdued once we get more rain..this is typical for this time of the year.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    School, you are such a tool.

The sugar sand will be subdued once we get more rain..this is typical for this time of the year.
    Even warm-up loop in Markham is tough going in some spots. We had a few sprinkles last night...keeping my fingers crossed...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey guys what's up, I was @ the trails today. Unfortunately still no rain thus a lot of soft sandy dirt. Thunderstorms are predicted around midnight.. let's see. Only 30% chance of rain. Here's a pic from today..

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Sweet ride mang!!
    It's raining !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey man nice ride ....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sweet ride mang!!
    It's raining !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph87 View Post
    Hey man nice ride ....
    right back at ya lol

mtbr member
    Rrrraaaaiiiinnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert Crasher
    Anyone been out there since we've gotten this much needed rain? I bet we have hero dirt galore. Hope the loose sections firm up and get some traffic to solidify the base again.

Expert Crasher
    Anyone with a post-rain assessment?

Trail Junkie
    What rain do you speak of? I road Amelia yesterday after work while it was pooring here in Doral...Amelia didn't get a drop, but the temperature was cooler...low 80s

Unless it rained today, and I was unaware of it??

Hey Kev...I just bought a new road bike. Getting fitted Monday Morning. We should link up and do a Key Biscayne ride sometime!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

rode there today before work..... sugar sand is still loose and ass deep...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, somehow Amelia has avoided all the rain showers in the past week in a half or so.....

Been out riding with thunderstorms almost completely surrounding the park without a single drop coming down on Amelia....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thameth View Post
    Yup, somehow Amelia has avoided all the rain showers in the past week in a half or so.....

Been out riding with thunderstorms almost completely surrounding the park without a single drop coming down on Amelia....
    Your not lieing. Its been super dry. Within the post week and a half that I've ridden there I come out looking like a sand monkey lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is that FXHO for Yamaha FXHO?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Is that FXHO for Yamaha FXHO?
    Yezzir it is. Why?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fellow FXHO owner

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Fellow FXHO owner
    ah hah. smart man then lol. When ever you would like to go out to ride, let me know. I ride in a group of 30 almost every sunday

well... i know for a fact it rained at amelia.... i rode past on my motorcycle getting my ass rained on..... HOPEFULLY tomorrow will be nice in the morning then rain its ass off again in the pm..... gotta keep that sand packed down....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FXHO View Post
    ah hah. smart man then lol. When ever you would like to go out to ride, let me know. I ride in a group of 30 almost every sunday
    Nice! Where do you normally ride? Part of SoFlaRiders by any chance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    BTW, in case any of you guys competed in La Roootaa #4 last week here are some pictures! Enjoy!

http://www.josephregner.com/MotorSpo...868278_2Nh4QB6

Also a couple of friends got ambushed while riding at Amelia a few days ago... luckily all parties involved "walked" away from the incident....

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c368E1xVQHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>