Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    TRANCER
    Weekdays are free all day. Saturday and Sunday is free before 9 or 10 am I think and after 5pm
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Ant
    I don't know at what time the park start collecting money at the gate but if anyone gets to the park before 9:30 you don't have to pay i think the person at the gate start at 10:00 i've been as late as 9:45 and the gate had been opened and nobody to collect the cash.

It's great that you didn't have to pay,,,,,,BUT, the money collected at the gate is helping to fund all of the trail building activities!!
    The Park Manager is able to justify some expensive spending because of the newly expected revenues from gate fees.
    Things such as: Amdro to kill the ants, RoundUp to kill weeds, the Toro off-road cart, the tractors, BackHoe, weekly mowing, fuel, supplies and manpower assistance, etc...

They never did much with the trails before because there was no money for it.....now, the trails are providing significant revenue. This allows the park to give us pretty much everything that we are asking for.....

I know the gate fee sucks.....but if you realize that it directly helps the trails, then it should seem more worthwhile!!
    Thanks!

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    It's great that you didn't have to pay,,,,,,BUT, the money collected at the gate is helping to fund all of the trail building activities!!
    The Park Manager is able to justify some expensive spending because of the newly expected revenues from gate fees.
    Things such as: Amdro to kill the ants, RoundUp to kill weeds, the Toro off-road cart, the tractors, BackHoe, weekly mowing, fuel, supplies and manpower assistance, etc...

They never did much with the trails before because there was no money for it.....now, the trails are providing significant revenue. This allows the park to give us pretty much everything that we are asking for.....

I know the gate fee sucks.....but if you realize that it directly helps the trails, then it should seem more worthwhile!!
    Thanks!
    Expert i really apreciate all the hard work you're doing and the 6 dollars are not a big deal since that money is been used for the trails plus they only charge on wknds and im not inviting riders to go early but the thing is that for some reason there's no body to collect the money untill around 10 am.
    Roy

mtbr member

I left around 11:00...

Got there at nine and did 2 laps. Left around 11:00 and the attendant was still not there. Thought it was strange, next time I'll jump out and start collecting money.....

Trail Junkie

Thanks!
    When I lived in Texas, I sat down with a park manager and had a talk along the same lines about revenue from mountain bikers. I've actually seen mountain biking make a local economy boom! I just wish other's would see it that way!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We're going to work on Friday morning (ride at 7, work on trails at 9), and Saturday from 9 to noon. We meet all the way down by the dumpsters in our storage yard. Plans will probably be to fix the Razorback peak (the one thats totally eroded and ready to collapse!) We'll also nee to finish up the BMX section at the end of razor.
    We finished the 2 new giant jumps in the BMX extension, and started putting down fill for the big berm that will bring riders back into Razorback......
    Also, I might need to start a new thread, but I'm looking for 5 course marshalls (that are NOT racing) for the Dec 5th race at Amelia.....

TRANCER
    I don't mind paying at all. I actually feel bad when I go on weekdays and don't pay anything. I feel like I owe something. Wish others felt the same. The machines and the manpower aren't going to pay themselves people.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I left a bag in the MTB parking lot today around 3:30. It's a black AIG bag. Should of had a silver helmet and a camel pack in it. Hopefully someone didn't steal it. If you scooped it up or know who did please let me know. Thanks guys.

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    What a nice work,i haven't ride Amelia for about a month went yesterday in the morning and the trail is AWESOME rode two laps.Thanks to all voluntiers for such a hard work
    Roy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    love the new addition to the razer back section

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks! The newest addition is actually just the start...and the very end of what will become a really awesome trail around the big, cleared land at the end of Razorback!! We have LOTS of area to work with...and I have some pretty good tools to help make the trail-building happen quickly!! Now...I just need some good plans for a giant pump track/MTB trail!! Enjoy..

mtbr member
    Expert, I road Amelia for the first time in 6 months and my car wants to thank you.

The new gravel back to the trails is much appreciated. I always thought I would drop my gas tank or something on the way in and out of there.

Nice flow improvements.

Thanks for the work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just wanted to let everyone know, the race course at Amelia for this weekends Coconut Cup / State series race is fully marked and in PERFECT condition! (Dec 3rd 2010)

If anyone finds 1 thing that they think needs work....let me know!!!

Enjoy!!

TRANCER
    Expert what time are the races? And what time will the non racers like me be able to ride ?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Small video of the new section in razer back, great job EXPERT and volunteers.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZFoBzA3Hjyg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZFoBzA3Hjyg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey expert Just left The trail and it is awesome. The only place I could see and issue is on the BMX section after the second big hump on the left turn there's some sugar sand accumulated on the right side of the turn. I can see a couple of people going fast there and having trouble but then again it is also part of the sport. I loved it. The trail flows awesome and the berms are in excellent shape. Great job man. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Take care. Be safe on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice little video of the new section!! ...and remember- that's only the beginning part...and the very end of what will be the full BMX extension!! When we finish that area, the big jumps, berms, and pump section will goo all the way around that big cleared area...it'll be a blast!!

As for the trail schedule on Sunday: the races begin at 8am (kids) and the trail will be closed for general riding until the final wave finishes (probably around 1pm). There's lots of tape marking the course already in place, and by Saturday evening, all of the race course tape will be in place. You might be able to sneak a lap in before 9am, just make certain to follow the race course direction....Also- make sure you're OFF the course before the yellow wave starts at 9:30.....we will be moving fast...and racing for money!! So, stay clear!! Thanks!

TRANCER
    Just saw the video. Expert was the 2nd steep climb in Lil Razorback filled in or made less steep? Im not sure how to explain it but it kind of looks like that in the video.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Actually....we completely removed the clay surface that was left of the climb- the top 7 or 8 feet...(it was only about 1' wide), then I piled a huge amount of road-rock back on top. I tried to re-create the height and angle of the previous climb, but made it about 8' wide for safety and sustainability. We threw a couple of carpets on it to prevent any immediate erosion, and staked those down well. Because of the extreme pitch, it will have to be covered, or it will wash away in a single summer.
    We also widened the path after the climb and reinforced the sides to make things a bit more durable.
    With the backhoe, it took about 1 hour to do everything!! And we used about 15 yards of fill on that hill alone!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    @Expertrider, when do you guys do trail maintenance?, i know you are there almost everyday cuz I see u working on the trails, but me and some friends always try to volunteer for trail maintenance in Oleta and right now at Virginia Key, we want to see if we can help you with trail maintenance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Rode it saturday and raced it yesterday. Gotta say, you guys have done an incredible job there. Definitely SoFla's most improved MTB park this year.

I like the Persian Area Rug on the camelback. Give the trails a touch of elegance. Widening that peak also gives a little more confidence. I always wondered how many people ate ***** if the went slightly off the trail there before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Our trail work day is usually Saturday mornings from 9a to noon. Occasionally, we do little projects during the week.
    This coming Saturday I'll be away at the State Championship race at Santos trail, so there won't be any major earth-moving work. We will have a large volunteer group at the trails doing the potato-vine eradication project. The vine is a major problem all summer, so the way to eradicate it is to collect all of the little potato balls that are everywhere!! We'll have 50 or so volunteers collecting the potatoes and putting them in trash bags!! The process actually works...IF you can collect nearly all of them....lets hope!
    In 2 weeks, we'll continue 2 areas of work: the BMX extension, and the re-opening of car trail. Also, in the next few weeks, we will be reversing the entire trail direction!!!
    The January race will travel in reverse direction, and we wanted to provide some opportunity for everyone to practice the new course. All signs will be reversed, and additional barricades will be placed at the trail-head. We will very publicly and boldly advertise this!! Stay tuned!!

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Our trail work day is usually Saturday mornings from 9a to noon. Occasionally, we do little projects during the week.
    This coming Saturday I'll be away at the State Championship race at Santos trail, so there won't be any major earth-moving work. We will have a large volunteer group at the trails doing the potato-vine eradication project. The vine is a major problem all summer, so the way to eradicate it is to collect all of the little potato balls that are everywhere!! We'll have 50 or so volunteers collecting the potatoes and putting them in trash bags!! The process actually works...IF you can collect nearly all of them....lets hope!
    In 2 weeks, we'll continue 2 areas of work: the BMX extension, and the re-opening of car trail. Also, in the next few weeks, we will be reversing the entire trail direction!!!
    The January race will travel in reverse direction, and we wanted to provide some opportunity for everyone to practice the new course. All signs will be reversed, and additional barricades will be placed at the trail-head. We will very publicly and boldly advertise this!! Stay tuned!!
    Reverse the whole trail!!!! That should be awesome maybe you guys can do that one or twice a year so is like having two trails in the same park.
    Roy

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm working on the logistics of the 2-directional trial system. The basic plan is 2 full sets of trail signs, keeping one direction covered when not in use.
    The frequency of the change is still a discussion. I could be every other month, every 2 months, quarterly, or 6 month rotation....
    I think I favor every 2 months, but we'll see how much work the change-over is...
    I'd love to just be able to securely cover the not used signs, and keep everything bolted in place....

We'll see during next months test run......

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    I rode the park last saturday man what a nice job everytime i go i see a lot of new things i have to say that i could not find anything to complaint of,the trail was awesome,great job i can't wait to ride the park in reverse it should be great.
    Roy

www.airbornemtb.org
    I'm working on the logistics of the 2-directional trial system. The basic plan is 2 full sets of trail signs, keeping one direction covered when not in use.
    The frequency of the change is still a discussion. I could be every other month, every 2 months, quarterly, or 6 month rotation....
    I think I favor every 2 months, but we'll see how much work the change-over is...
    I'd love to just be able to securely cover the not used signs, and keep everything bolted in place....

We'll see during next months test run......
    i like the idea of a 6 mo rotation so you have time to get used to the flow of the trail:thumbs up:
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    +1 for 6 months. Sounds like a lot of work to do more often than that.

6 months seems like it would give everyone time to learn the trail real well and just when it start to become routine, it gets switched up. I guess it depends on how much you ride though.

Point is, I love the idea. You guys definitely do a great job down there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    +1 for 6 months also...

mtbr member
    Here is a race video I took when we raced at Amelia a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed the trails. It was my 1st time at the park, but from what all the others were saying the trails got a hudge upgrade.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kcp5XFL-2JY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kcp5XFL-2JY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TRANCER
    Great video smace. You can tell how fast the course is in the video. Good job!
    Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smace
    Here is a race video I took when we raced at Amelia a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed the trails. It was my 1st time at the park, but from what all the others were saying the trails got a hudge upgrade.
    I think your son and I duked it out on the home stretch in the novice class. We finished within a second of each other. He's a good rider! Unfortunately for me, he's only going to get better, I on the other hand...well...we'll see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The video is awesome! Thanks for sharing! Spread the word: January 1st we will reverse the entire trail direction! Signs will be in place..... and please be patient...we understand that some new berms will be required, some new spots will have to be filled, maybe a few trees may need to go...we will get to it....!!! It looks like it'll be a 2 month trial run in reverse!!

TRANCER
    Just got home from there now. Track felt so damn good. Tires rolled really fast and gripped really well today. Everything is nicely packed. I guess it must be all the traffic it got this past weekend. Expert im loving the track more and more every time i go. Was that you in the big black 4 x 4? I see that truck there every time im there.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    I think your son and I duked it out on the home stretch in the novice class. We finished within a second of each other. He's a good rider! Unfortunately for me, he's only going to get better, I on the other hand...well...we'll see.

We caught that on video. It is on his blog if you haven't seen it. Check it out. He thought that was the highlight of his day. You will get better. Just stay with it.

http://mountainbikemike2000.blogspot.com/

beware the grammar police
    great job dude... you were picking them off like flies... a better start and you would have been top 3 easy...

mtbr member
    Thanks I am looking forward to the next race in January.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you see me out there, it'll be in one of 3 different vehicles: white Suburban, Big yellow backhoe, or my Redline 29er SS!! I was there today, but just to ride. My big trail work of the day was a morning meeting with County Commissioner about new heavy equipment for trail building!!! (It went very, very well!)
    I noticed that the trail got a really heavy workout from the race traffic! Lots of little places where someone went off the course and moved some dirt... and LOTS of potato's on the ground from the air-potato vine! We have several days scheduled with big volunteer groups to collect and remove the potato's. That vine is a giant problem during the summer, and the only way to get rid of it is to collect the potato's now! (I've soaked the vine with RoundUp only to have it grow back in 2 weeks!)
    This Saturday you'll see us working in the BMX extension building several new jumps and berms....9am to noon....we can use help!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We caught that on video. It is on his blog if you haven't seen it. Check it out. He thought that was the highlight of his day. You will get better. Just stay with it.

http://mountainbikemike2000.blogspot.com/

Haha! Yup, he called me out. I was completely out of gas when those two passed and then it seemed they slowed just a bit and I came up with a little extra to save one spot. My wife said "Good job...you beat an 11 year old...you must be proud"!

Looks like your son is really loving the sport. I wish I would have known how much fun this was a younger age. I've got a 3 and a 1 year old and I'll be sure to expose them to mountain biking as soon as they're ready.

Tell him to keep up the good work...I'm sure he'll have me in his sights next time around!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    Haha! Yup, he called me out. I was completely out of gas when those two passed and then it seemed they slowed just a bit and I came up with a little extra to save one spot. My wife said "Good job...you beat an 11 year old...you must be proud"!

Looks like your son is really loving the sport. I wish I would have known how much fun this was a younger age. I've got a 3 and a 1 year old and I'll be sure to expose them to mountain biking as soon as they're ready.

Tell him to keep up the good work...I'm sure he'll have me in his sights next time around!!

I just let him read your post and he told me tell you he is only 10. Thanks for the complements and yes make your your kids start racing young. Maybe we can meet if you going to the next race in January.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just let him read your post and he told me tell you he is only 10. Thanks for the complements and yes make your your kids start racing young. Maybe we can meet if you going to the next race in January.

Just rub it in why don't ya? lol. I'll let me wife keep thinking he's 11...a little white lie isn't going to hurt anyone.

I'll see you there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The last downhill section of Chupacabra hill was rebuilt today! We used about 50 cubic yards of fill and completely redirected the route down!!
    Let me know what you think.... It needs a little riding in still....but it looks a lot better!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    2 awesome new berms added this week! Check out the course.... also, lots of work continues in the BMX area. Look of the new trail direction right around the 1st of January-ish..... Also, the new Chupacabra section has some added road-rock before the new berm....enjoy!!
    Let me know what you all think!!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

My ride last Tuesday was quite nice and I did the whole course twice .
    I did find a few broken plastic boards on top of one of the bridges. This one is after riding through an area that looks like a huricane hit it. Sorry I don't know the trail name as it is only my second ride out there...
    I must say that Amelia is becoming a favourite ride as I like the park like setting and the smooth flow of the trails.. to all the volunteers!!!!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The old remaining wood bridges are fast moving up on the priority list! The volume of riders at the trail lately has pushed some of those projects up much higher on the rebuild list. We finished the basic layout of the BMX extension today, but it's still flowing in the normal forward direction. Friday we will work on changing the entrance signs (and making it very well-marked!!) and we'll be changing all of the trail direction signs. The BMX area will be a lot more fun in the reverse direction!
    We encountered a "fun" hive of wild Africanized bees during the construction of BMX! They really do chase after you for a VERY long time! We ran over 200 yards away with a strong, cold wind blowing and they were still all over us!!

mtbr member
    That is really bad to say the least. I see a can or two of bug-be-gone in their future...

TRANCER
    Killer bees? If we see people riding straight in to the lake with their bikes we will know why. Lol
    Ride

TRANCER
    Any idea how long the whole trail is?
    Ride

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

About 10 miles?? Someone correct me if I am wrong, known to happen...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The last race was 7.25 miles....for one lap.
    We still have to open car trail, and a few others....so we can easily make it 10+.....
    but what's the hurry??

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey Expert the trail is looking great. Now I hope we get some rain to settle the newly surfaced spots. Now what I've been not too happy with is the fact that there seems to be a lot of people violating the rules as far as ridding w/o helmet and going the wrong way.

But today I left very upset. As I'm leaving the trail I look forward and see a lot of dust at the beginning of the gravel road. The I see this olive green suv it was either a Kia or a Mazda and this guy is doing at least 30mph on the gravel road. I pull my truck right on the middle of the road he kept coming I veered at this point on to his lane hopping he'd get the point. But nope the guy goes of the gravel slows down enough to go around me, looks at me and acts like I'm crazy. Gets back on the gravel road and speeds off to the trails.

Is he serious? I hope he's on this board and reads this. I almost turned around and went back but knowing myself and my anger management issues I just kept going. There's kids, dogs, old people, park workers and riders on this road all the time how come this guy just does something so stupid. That without mentioning the erosion to the newly filled roar. If any of you here know him please tell him to start using his brain.

That's my rant for the day.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast