Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ExpertRider.. I want to thank you AGAIN for all your hard work. Watching the clip, its easy to see how enthusiastic about Amelia and mountain biking.

Its amazing to see the transformation Amelia has made in the last year or so, and its great to have a awesome trail to ride as Oleta is getting "renovated". Its a shame they are destroying Oleta, but as you mentioned in the Oleta thread, it gives us a chance to start "fresh".

Amelia is currently 7.5 Miles, how many more miles (if any) are possible in the park?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Mr. Expertrider, thank you, thank you, thank you for all your dedication and hard work!!! You are truly are putting Amelia on the map.

Trail Junkie
    That is excellent news Steve! I think they realize that this is an investment rather than a lost cause, and notice that volunteer work is producing quite a lot of revenue. Not only revenue, but promoting health, and alternative means of transportation (bikes).

I was not able to find the video that covered this segment, but all-in-all it is excellent news, and I am 100% sure the trail head beautification project will be even more appealing and pool in even more people to the park! I also think this can yield more races and maybe ones that are time sustained (12/24). Right now, by the numbers I think it is fair to say that Amelia is yielding numbers in the last 4-5months than Markham and Oleta, and surely this funding will only make those numbers increase.

I know many may frown towards this, but I think they should change the admission on the weekends to $1.50 per person rather than $6.00 per vehicle. I think they would further increase the revenue for many that use the park, but not the trails. This will make it less expensive for the people that come in solo, but even out for the people that load up 2 to a seatbelt coming into the gate.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Like the comisioner said You're the man Expert what a nice speech,and what a nice job you're done to make this park one of the best mtb parks in South Fl.Thanks again and make God bless you.
    Last edited by Red_Ant; 02-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Roy

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Expert, you're a great pitchman!

As everyone has said, great job...I started learning to mountain bike about the same time you got started with Amelia. I started there since it's the closest park to my house. From then until now, I've witnessed every step of the transformation of the park, and it's been great.

For those that couldn't find the video segment, fast-forward to 1:44:30, that's where Expert's speech starts.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    That is excellent news Steve! I think they realize that this is an investment rather than a lost cause, and notice that volunteer work is producing quite a lot of revenue. Not only revenue, but promoting health, and alternative means of transportation (bikes).

I know many may frown towards this, but I think they should change the admission on the weekends to $1.50 per person rather than $6.00 per vehicle. I think they would further increase the revenue for many that use the park, but not the trails. This will make it less expensive for the people that come in solo, but even out for the people that load up 2 to a seatbelt coming into the gate.
    +1! I agree that the $6,= per car is too much for solo folks going in for a ride. If 4 people are in a vehicle the park will still collect 6,= Just like Markham does.
    I am happy to see that Dade county is so supportive of the MTB section in Amelia!! It is a growing sport and more people participating will eventually bring in more revenue.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Steve LaRue for County Comissioner!!!

Unbelievable! We're all very appreciative of the work you're putting in on and off the trails Steve! That was a great presentation and I hope more and more people realize the benefits that mountain biking can serve to the community and the youth. Kudos to you good sir!

As for the $6 entry fee...I live in Broward and there's talks of county budget cuts which could close Markham on various days (Quiet Waters is already closed certain days of the week). I would gladly pay $6 or more to be able to ride those trails any day of the week. If entry fees are lowered, that's less revenue for the park which could affect it's operating hours. I would be opposed to lowering entry fees and more apt to donating a few extra bucks to the park/trail system so that the public can have access to it whenever they want. Nothing is for free, so if you want to keep MTBing alive in south florida, I think we, the ones who are most passionate about it, should help to keep it afloat. Just my opinion, but I think that makes more sense than strangling the revenue. After all, once you have your bike and gear, there's not that much more expense in biking, besides it's a lot cheaper than that other "Disneyworld".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think $6 dollars is ok... what about the annual pass? I paid $65 .. if we want to keep open the trails , they have to increase the annual pass too.. like 120... .if u love riding mtb $120 per year is not too much...

Trail Junkie
    Well figuring a Florida State Park pass is about $65/yr, and that is good for ALL of Florida, and Amelia is just one park..even if it was all parks in Dade County it still would be too much @ $120/yr.

I only stated the $1.50 per person so even more people would be interested in going on the weekends. I ride Amelia almost every day during the week, and usually ride Oleta, Markham, or Quiet Waters on the weekend. I have a Florida State park pass not just for Oleta, but because I go to Alafia/Balm as well.

The objective was to benefit the solo people driving, and to keep people from loading 15 people into a suburban to only $6 to get in (and trust me, many do), and its not bikers..its the birthday partyers. I think a flat rate of $1.50/per person would yield more money on the weekends.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I can tell you all that the gate admission fees are a HUGE advantage for our Mountain bike trails right now... I love the annual pass idea for the park...Anything that helps us account for our specific group gives us political power.
    As a County government, taxes get collected at the end of the year, so the worst of the current property tax decline will be felt this year and next year.
    All City, County and State governments will face enormous pressures over the next 2 years.
    Our facility, and our mountain bike users, are pure revenue generating...this is really important! I don't know if Broward parks have figures specifically for the mountain bikers, but they obviously don't think that MTBers generate revenue.
    Amelia has been attempting to identify the revenue impact of the MTBer's, and we have some pretty impressive collections over the past year!
    This allows me to ask for additional equipment, tools, and facilities that NO OTHER department in the County could even consider right now.

We have submitted a federal grant for the new bathroom/parking facilities at the trail-head. This has a high likelihood of approval.
    We are also asking for additional heavy-equipment for our trail-building....and that means a lot more really cool stuff for our riding pleasure!!

I'm never crazy about the parking fees, but right now, it's our project the favorite child...

We still have tons of expenses that we pay for out of our pocket, but the big tools are mostly County provided.
    I may ask for a separate donation box at the main gate for those that wish to help our efforts, so if you see that...it's genuine and much appreciated!

All of that trail building and renovations takes some some pretty heavy expenses, so lets all try to realize how important the $6 at the gate is to the trails...and thanks for everyones nice comments!!

We have some cool new trail reconstruction planned for the next couple of weeks....and remember- the trails go back to forward around the 1st of March!!!

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    @ Expert...........

What are the plans for the FF Olympics?

I just signed up yesterday, I'm really looking forward to it..... Thanks again for a great job!!!

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    I like the idea of a box some where so we can put the money i've been going almost every wknd around 7 in the morning left the park at 9:45 and nobody was at the gate to collect the money that money could be use for the maintanance of the trail there's a lot of people not paying the 6 dollars just because the person at the gate start arround 10:00
    Roy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    +1 for the donation box.

Sometimes I get there early and there's no one to collect money. Other times I've been waved through to enter free of charge. I would gladly pay my $6 plus a $5 donation specific for the trails. The more ways the park can account for how much $$$ mtbing is bringing in the better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    We have some cool new trail reconstruction planned for the next couple of weeks....and remember- the trails go back to forward around the 1st of March!!!
    I'd better hurry up and get some rides in with the current reverse direction before it switches back!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

+2 for the donation box!

Even though money is tight for the county, it is also tight for the public and you don't want to run the risk of turning people off by overcharging for entry fee's and parking fee's. This will have the opposite effect on generating revenue. Think volume just like in business....

On another note; Monday, I was riding Amelia and was questioned by a county employee on how I liked the park. I was very happy to reply that I really like the way the trails are and continue to get better and that it was worth it for me to drive from Weston a few times a week to ride there.
    She was quite pleased to hear that people coming in from other area's to ride Amelia and that the overall experience is very positive.
    Thanks again to all the volunteers!!

mtbr member

Hope

Did this thread go to ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We've been too busy riding.........

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Same here actually...

Trail Junkie
    +1 for riding....also school, and work..full plate!

How's the LT Oscar?
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We've been building and riding!!
    So, out latest projects include the new section before the Micky Mouse sign. The trail was re-routed to take advantage of the nice almond tree (shade!), and as a good excuse to build another fun table-top jump!
    The big project in that area is a significant trail addition and re-route. We cleared the area behind the mulch pile and made a trail thru that section. I started framing one of the jumps that will occupy that new area. You may also notice 2 HUGE berms that we're dug out this weekend. We will have an additional 400m of trail in the middle of coffee trail. I had cleared a large area and found tons of large shade trees and high, dry ground. So, a few berms and some ground clearing later and we're almost ready to ride it!
    It'll add nicely to the experience, and it should be very fast!
    Other project include some heavy clearing of the Brazilian pepper trees along the fence by the highway. The plans are to clear the entire fence-line and plant royal palms the whole way along the fence!!! It'll look amazing when done!!!

We're going to be working tomorrow (Monday, Feb 21, 2011) with about 130 volunteers from Miami-Dade College and Urban Paradise Guild to remove potato-vine seeds and Brazillian Pepper trees from Potato Vine trail and Gobble-gobble trail.....
    ANy and all are welcome to join us!!

mtbr member

Good job!

Can't wait to ride there tomorrow!!!!!!!!! You guys are amazing by getting this park up to snuff so nicely!!!!!
    I have been lacking in riding Amelia of late, as work got in the way too

mtbr member

Good job!

Had a great ride in both Amelia and Markham today! It was very obvious where all the new trails are going to be in Amelia and it all looks very promising.
    Both parks could sure use some rain though, as it is quite dusty out there..
    All in all a great way to start the day

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We opened the new sections today....Those are 2 MASSIVE berms!! I plan to add a couple more jumps to the new trails after it gets a little worn-in....I just need to feel where the fast spots are....

I also need to add some road-rock to one of the new sections where there seems to be lots of sand.....

You may also notice 2 nice repairs: one section is the area in GGT after (or before depending on direction) the starting hill - near the 3 jumps. It was filled-in and rides great!

THe other repair was a very sandy corner before Camel Hump (or after when traveling forward)... we added a nice little rock berm that should help keep the speed up....

We know about the sandy spots, but it's actually a good thing because it gives us some nice projects to add berms/jumps or road-rock improvements....be patient!!

LEt me know what you all think about the work completed today (Saturday 2/26/2011)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Expertrider, the new section looks great, the berms look very nice, great job steven

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    We opened the new sections today....Those are 2 MASSIVE berms!! I plan to add a couple more jumps to the new trails after it gets a little worn-in....I just need to feel where the fast spots are....

I also need to add some road-rock to one of the new sections where there seems to be lots of sand.....

You may also notice 2 nice repairs: one section is the area in GGT after (or before depending on direction) the starting hill - near the 3 jumps. It was filled-in and rides great!

THe other repair was a very sandy corner before Camel Hump (or after when traveling forward)... we added a nice little rock berm that should help keep the speed up....

We know about the sandy spots, but it's actually a good thing because it gives us some nice projects to add berms/jumps or road-rock improvements....be patient!!

LEt me know what you all think about the work completed today (Saturday 2/26/2011)...
    I rode today and noticed all of the improvements, they're great as usual. Those new berms are huge, they look like NASCAR banked turns!

As usual, every time I ride Amelia there's something new. You guys are doing a great job with the trails!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I am sure that the rain helped out Amelia as it did Markham. Did the direction change already????

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So, we rebuilt a little berm in Chupacabra trail....probably the biggest, fastest, coolest berm I've ever ridden......and I've been doing this for a long time......
    Let me know what you all think......finished 2pm on Sat, March 5th 2011.....

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    So, we rebuilt a little berm in Chupacabra trail....probably the biggest, fastest, coolest berm I've ever ridden......and I've been doing this for a long time......
    Let me know what you all think......finished 2pm on Sat, March 5th 2011.....
    Sounds awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was out there today. Trails you were working on were closed on my first lap.. 2nd lap I rode the new bern... holy $h!t that was fun.
    Expert I want to try and come help next saturday.. What time do volunteers get out there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Our work days are usually Saturdays- typically we ride a couple of laps beginning around 7:30, then start work by 9am. I always like to be done and gone before 1.....this past week was an exception because it was a MASSIVE project that moved about 50 yards of dirt.....anyone can come out and help us......we have some really good techniques and processes for building trail features with heavy equipment...plenty to learn if someone wants to get the inside scoop....
    We have a few smaller projects planned for this coming weekend...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well, we have added more berms, more speed, more fun! Another small double-jump and huge berm after the exit of Chupacabra...we also made big progress on the Coffee trail beautification project..its amazing! I'm LOVING the newest additions!! We seem to be on a berm-building binge right now...speed is good!! enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey expert I love the changes so far. The berms in Chupacabra are awesome. Love how you can now fly thru the two berms and then do the jump at the end. Excellent job as always.

Expert Crasher
    Another great FYI:
    Yesterday I spoke in front of the full Miami-Dade County Commission talking about the trails project.
    It was televised (you can watch it replayed on the MDCC website- I'm the 2nd speaker in the public comments section towards the beginning) Copy and paste this link:

http://miamidade.gov/wps/portal/Main/webcasting/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hnQ29jA38vF18311ALA0 __QHcTf2NHAyAAykcC5d0dPUzMfQwM_I3CDAyM_EyDAw1Cg40N PI0J6A4H2YdfP0jeAAdwNND388jPTdUvyI0wyDJxVAQAkFYWdg !!/dl3/d3/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Anyway, Chairman Joe Martinez stepped up quickly and within 24 hours of that meeting, he has delivered over 200 helmets to be given to any kid (or person) that doesn't have a helmet to ride the trails!
    I will be giving these away immediately, and I will look for a few park regulars to help with distribution to anyone that needs one!!
    THe helmets are actually pretty nice!

Also, as you will see in the meeting, several other Commissioners offered major help with some of our trail projects, and I have meetings setup with the 4 that asked to meet with me for further discussion......(yes, 4 Commissioners want to help with our project!)

THis is HUGE news! Tommorrow (Thursday, Feb 3rd) crews have already been directed to pick up a new backhoe for us to use for the planting of the new trees, and trail construction!!

Things are happening fast!

Also, the biggest and most incredible result of that meeting, is the trailhead construction project.

This is a MAJOR, grant funded project that will build a beautiful trailhead area with large bathrooms, bike washdown area, and meeting rooms!! Also a parking lot and area beautification....this is just incredible!

THe master-plan was developed several years ago, but the trails project seemed very unlikely to ever move forward (we're talking BIG bucks!)....but now it has gained some serious political priority and some grant funding was discovered.....

I fully intend Amelia to become a major MTB facility...with a completely built-out trail system containing the coolest features anywhere....
    Our work is just beginning.......

You heard it all here first.....stay tuned!!!!!!
    Continued awesome work!

Good thing I skipped out on CC#4 with those lap times.

Weaksause excuse follows: with this being my first year racing SS category coming out of XC-C3, I still have regular-human lung capacity (although I'd like to think it's not bad for a guy on the verge of 40). I realized I was still below the SoFlo SS super-human level when I was caught from behind on my second lap by the race winner the first go around at Amelia. Of course, my flat tire on lap one helped him close that gap but holy heck, my 20 minute pit stop and his 6-minute time advantage per lap was something to behold.

I still have visions of the bright orange Niner rigid carbon blowing by me...........must.....train.....harder.....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Trail Junkie
    Kev,

Nothing replaces time in the saddle my friend!

I know you are clinging onto that Surly full rigid with dear life, but might that Niner Carbon be your inspiration? I know where one is with your name on it :P
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Looks like a long overdue ride in Amelia is in order . Work has kept me away too long..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I rode Amelia today, the big new berm is great!

The sugar sand really killed my legs though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We know about the sugar-sand.....we have started filling in some of the worst spots...right now the only place that's bothering me is in potato-vine trail....so, we started filling it in, and we'll continue the berm-i-fication of that section until its super-fast again....

The other little spots will get fixed if they start slowing us down too much....lets just hope for rain...I'd rather build jumps than fill in a bunch of sandy spots!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A bunch of work is on hold at VKey too because we're waiting for rain... moving around a bunch of dry sand basically does no good.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I didn't mean to beat a dead horse with the sand commentary . I know that the drought conditions are to blame, and it's the same situation at the other local parks. Couple that with my sub-optimal tires and technique, weight of rider + bike, and the two laps I rode felt like three!

I still had fun though, and want to emphasize that all of the berms are a big help. The park is in great shape and continues to get better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    has to be a joke but i cant wait to see the comments to this dumbass lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Glad you like the park! I love it myself, and I hope no one will get a stupid injury without wearing a helmet and cause the County to close the trails....

Wear your helmet!
    I've been an expert racer for over 12 years. I've been racing bikes for 30 years now!!
    Twice recently I have hit my head really hard on low-fallen trees. I certainly wasn't expecting either, but stuff happens....

My helmet weighs 240 grams, and looks pretty cool...just wear yours!! It's not a big deal, but it really pisses a LOT of people off!!

Trail Junkie
    RSANT...well its expected.

school4you,

You do realize that the reason for the helmet isn't based on the difficulty of the park. You can fall off a curb on the side of the road and crack your head open. It is purely for your own safety, plain and simple. The reason why it should be inforced is because if too many people get hurt at the park, the park starts to hold some level of liability for the injuries, AND CAN CLOSE THE BIKE TRAILS. They do not want that burden, and we do not want the trails closed. Markham goes as far as requiring bike riders to take a class purely based on safety.

We try to make the trails as safe as possible. If you haven't noticed, nearly all the manmade technical obstacles have been removed and replaced with dirt, so if you fall, you fall on the ground, solid dirt.

So we will continue to tell these people that then need helmets, that is one very small rule for riding the park. If they don't want to wear helmets, they can ride somewhere else, and if they do ride the trails and get hurt...the park can't feel the least bit liable.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It will affect you when they close the park Bc some nuckle head decided their hair is too sexy to wear a helmet. You don't want to let people know about it or get involved cool. Let the ones that care do it for you.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by school4you
    i just think we should mind our own business. I've been approached by other riders who asked me if i was willing to help them kick out people without helmets.
    This here is where the problem lies, everyone thinks they should just turn a cheek and mind their own business...that is completely wrong! Half of the crimes today would be avoided if the criminals knew people were watching, and would say/do something. You are correct about you not having the authority to police people and kick them out of the bike trails, but they need to hear that they need a helmet, even if they don't think so. It is for everyone's sake, not just your own.

I simply told them it is not my head and it doesn't affect me in anyway whether they wear helmets or not.
    What if it was your kid brother, or cousin, would you say the same thing? After all, it isn't your head, it won't effect you. Try looking at it for a moral standpoint, and maybe look at other people as human beings just as the same as yourself.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I say something but can tell they are not listening, and I am not going to waste my breath saying it more than once (I have far too little to spare at the shape I am in). Nonetheless, I prefer those guys over the ones going the wrong way that send me into the $*%&ing trees at 15mph trying to avoid them.

Also, school4you, the word you are looking for is "aye" not "I"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    +1 on naming the trail. As far as physically removing people for not wearing helmet I won't do it but I do try to school them and scared them by telling them if a park officer sees them w/o helmet will kick them out. That's as far as I'll go. Most people don't care but a couple have listened.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    if a park officer sees them w/o helmet will kick them out.
    I wish I could believe that...

But yes, I agree with the notion of naming a trail after EXPERTRIDER.

Trail Junkie
    Already had a similar situation with someone having road rage speeding on the gravel road and pulled a gun when he was told to slow down. The police were called and the guy went to jail.

Also not to try to raise my hand and say "What about me?" ,but there are a lot of others that have had a solid contribution to the park such as my self. We just don't have the political connection to the city of Hialeah like Steve has. All the same, this is a community trail park, many have contributed for all to enjoy.

With every privilege there are rules, and the rules are very insignificant and easy to follow, but the rules are in place for people's safety and nothing more. Rules are in place just like everything else. Its just easier to wear your helmet and go in the right direction and its safer for you and everyone else to enjoy.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah.. this guy thought he didn't need to wear a helmet for a simple little ride...

Always Wear you HELMET!! (nasty picture)

If someone was hauled out of Amelia looking like that or worse because they weren't wearing a helmet there's a good chance the park would be closed.... and then what.....

Working at Virginia Key I was called a communist by one guy for kicking him out while he was wearing a straw hat and flip flops.... but I'm not allowing the rest of the city and all the volunteers lose their park and hard work because of a few morons.

So no, its not just their head their life.... their stupid decisions affect our trails.

Expert Crasher
    Kev,

Nothing replaces time in the saddle my friend!

I know you are clinging onto that Surly full rigid with dear life, but might that Niner Carbon be your inspiration? I know where one is with your name on it :P
    I cling to the Surly b/c nothing beats the simplicity of a rigid steel bike with mechanical brakes. No hydro, no gear cables - just metal and rubber I'm ok with 25lbs.....just haven't yet wrapped my head around running my heart at redline for 90 minutes straight . On my Sultan, I could use the gears to recover. I've come to learn, you just can't dilly-dally on a singlespeed. It's go hard or go home

My road bike work has been progressing nicely (albeit interrupted by TDYs and the odd crisis or two) and that's where I'd like to not get my butt kicked as much in the short term, but it doesn't transition as well to the SS racing. 2011 goals are mostly roadie oriented which is truly why I didn't do CC#4 - just didn't support the goals I put on paper.

Today - dense fog in Doral forced me to take plan B, otherwise I was going to knock of 60-70 good skinny tire miles.

Great work you guys are doing. I need to come 'pay my dues' with the shovel some weekend.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    For discussion - is there any value to adding a National Mountain Bike Patrol club?

As traffic increases (and non-helmet wearing riders or wrong-way nuts continue to appear), could be a way to provide a visible trail 'presence' which has an authoritative appearance (yes, I know the NMBP is an educational/assistance oriented group, not a 'law enforcement' group).

http://www.imba.com/nmbp
    http://www.imba.com/membership/nmbp

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    For discussion - is there any value to adding a National Mountain Bike Patrol club?

As traffic increases (and non-helmet wearing riders or wrong-way nuts continue to appear), could be a way to provide a visible trail 'presence' which has an authoritative appearance (yes, I know the NMBP is an educational/assistance oriented group, not a 'law enforcement' group).

http://www.imba.com/nmbp
    http://www.imba.com/membership/nmbp
    Vkey is debating training a group of volunteers for this too.... We just don't want to lose our trails to idiots...

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Thameth
    Vkey is debating training a group of volunteers for this too.... We just don't want to lose our trails to idiots...
    Ok, if you do, please post. I know there are a series of training classes we'll need. Might as well tag on..............

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Amelia had an "official" IMBA MTB patrol for years. There is no enforcement mechanism, so it's purely educational, which our group does a pretty good job with now. (We're still an IMBA club)
    If fact, there are 50+ signs informing riders that helmets are required. Helmets are also offered for free to ANY rider that isn't wearing one, and we often photograph riders that have been warned and still refused to wear..... So, the first time some idiot tries to sue the park, I look forward presenting some clear facts with pictures in the deposition.....

With that said, we will still vigorously "educate and persuade" all riders to wear a helmet. The County park officers will also gladly provide a citation for failure to follow County ordinance, etc... I'd rather use the nice method....but maybe we could generate some revenue.....hummmm.....

As for the trail name.......no thanks! The trails have some cool names now, and I rather keep the focus on the features (Golden Gate, etc..)

I'm thinking about renaming a section of Coffee trail into "Table-top park" ...since we have several TT jumps already built, with more planned....

Did anyone notice the filled-in section of potato-vine trail yet??? No more sugar-sand!!

More repair and improvements to come!!

X/C trail rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Ok, if you do, please post. I know there are a series of training classes we'll need. Might as well tag on..............
    There is not too much involved in starting your own Patrol. I am one of the local IMBA NMBP certified instructors, http://www.imba.com/nmbp/nmbp-instructors I am involved in the Broward County Chapter. We generally teach 1-2 classes per year and normally do this at Markham Park. When we do the next one, I will announce it open to anyone interested on clubmuds forum, http://one2ride.org/bulletin/index.php In the past we have trained several riders from outside of Broward Parks who intended to Patrol Oleta and Amelia. There is not currently a separate chapter for those parks registered with IMBA. So you could train and become a member of Broward County's and patrol Oleta, Amelia, Virginia Key, as long as you have the permission of the land manger, or start your own Patrol if you desire. You can also do the IMBA portion of the certification online and take an online exam, and mail in copies of your CPR/FirstAid training. Once you are certified as a Patroler, you could contact the land manager for the Park or Parks and discuss it with them and then contact the IMBA NMBP coordinator in Colorado and set up your own Chapter of the Patrol. If anyone intends to Patrol a Broward Park, Broward County Parks requires each patroler to attend one of our local classes as they require there park policies and procedures to be taught as well.
    Last edited by MHodges; 03-28-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Expert Crasher
    wow.... so kinda like a mall cop but with even less authority????????? I am crying tears over here.

you guys are going to get beat up super bad one day.

what will be your weapon of choice? a stick to dis-inflate the tires??
    You continue to approach everything from a position of violence. Channel your inner anger into building some mean berms one Saturday

PMK
    mtbr member
    With 20 years of off road cycling in the books, I will say that there have been several times I've been glad I had the helmet on.

In the past, I did my best to recommend folks wear a helmet. Even have had some new riders that did not want to wear one, tell me how they did start wearing a helmet after we spoke about it and then explained how it probably saved them as they learned to ride off-road.

In 20 years, many things have changed, but people still get hurt, and hurt bad. The invincible attitude and in your face F this and F that has me not get to involved in the helmet non wearers anymore. Now as we ride past, I often tell the non helmet wearers it's good they ride in pairs so one can help the other to the ER.

I know it's a poor attitude, sorry. Granted trails are lost. Trails are lost on account of injuries / liability. Trails are lost to urban development and landmanager visions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Markham closed from a broken arm or wrist, TOE was closed because of rider attitude arguing with the landowner. Reddick was closed for the land value or something similar, Hardrock closed to be moto focused, K-Mart for development, Okkechobee Woods for development, Cholle for Equestrians, the list goes on. I don't recall a trail being closed for a head injury.

I like how Broward did it with the video and waiver and so forth. Palm Beach won't do that because the parks are open to all. We can only post about wearing a helmet, the only enforcement is by a cop when it's a kid under 16(?).

The sport is as dangerous as the rider and trailbuilder make it.

Those building modern day Amelia, are lucky to have the permission to build features. Most places are banning this stuff, good to see you protecting your trail as needed.

Helmet = $50, ER visit = $100's, Crippled = Sad for the rider and family, Dead = problem solved if trail is not lost.

PK

yeah, uh............bikes
    my favorite park is Amelia because it is the safest. There deadly jagged rocks everywhere like Oleta and Markham.

the guys have done a trememdous job with Amelia, it is the safest and best park out there.

Whenever i ride Markham i am always thinking to myself why doesnt anyone remove those crazy jagged sword tip rocks out of the way. If someone falls there they can be really screwed but at Amelia the most that can happen is you fall on nice dirt or on some bushes. There really isnt that deadly risk factor at Amelia and for that I am grateful.

Whatever deadly stuff there was at Amelia has been removed. This park is awesome!

Back to the overweight park patrol... has anyone seen him lately????
    I hope you're laying down some serious sarcasm here.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The park officer has been reassigned to a different facility. We have 2 new officers (female) that I am working with to make sure they patrol all thru the trails area. So far, they're doing good.

Glad you notice the greatly improved safety design of the trails! I've never understood why anyone would allow trail objects that are clearly unsafe...our goal is for everyone to have fun!
    We certainly do enjoy catching some big air, and hitting some high speeds, so fun AND safe can be combined.

I just don't want my kids getting broken bones and cuts from poorly maintaned trails....

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK
    Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Markham closed from a broken arm or wrist,
    PK
    I remeber that, It was closed because some dumdass took his girldfriend riding and she had no experiece and she broke a body part and then try to sued the county. Back then the trail head was at the campground. But a lot of good came out it because the county got involve with the riders group and made the changes necesary to make the place safe.

Good to see Amelia back.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    I remeber that, It was closed because some dumdass took his girldfriend riding and she had no experiece and she broke a body part and then try to sued the county. Back then the trail head was at the campground. But a lot of good came out it because the county got involve with the riders group and made the changes necesary to make the place safe.

Good to see Amelia back.

Yes, stupidity closed a cool place for a while and I believe that Quiet Waters was having some issues in their Freeride section just prior to the hurricane. What could have been a real disaster was avoided by hard work and luckily an open minded person in the park system.

It would be interesting to get a headcount on how many people know that Markham was officially closed for that injury case. Also, I wonder how many riders that post here cut through the hole in the fence to ride the original QW, long before it was an official trail.

I believe the first race at Amelia in the early 90's was one I participated in. It was fun back then, now it is likely real good. For whatever reason, we have not gone further south than QW to ride since the late 90's. Maybe someday we'll see the new Amelia.

Will the suspension tandem fit?

PK

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This past weekend we rebuilt some sections of Chupacabra hill. One of the current uphills was rebuilt in anticipation of the reverse direction which will resume on May11th. A HUGE table-top jump was added, and the trail was road-rocked from top to bottom....When the course is running reverse, the jump will be absolutely awesome!
    Also, a new paver-path was added to the entrance of the rabbit-ears section.....enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This past weekend we rebuilt some sections of Chupacabra hill. One of the current uphills was rebuilt in anticipation of the reverse direction which will resume on May11th. A HUGE table-top jump was added, and the trail was road-rocked from top to bottom....When the course is running reverse, the jump will be absolutely awesome!
    Also, a new paver-path was added to the entrance of the rabbit-ears section.....enjoy!
    Well geez....now I'm going to have to go ride Amelia this weekend to check out the improvements

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good stuff expert. I really like the tabletop jumps as I can clear them a lot better than the doubles for some reason. Chupacabra also feels a lot better with most of the sandy stuff taken care off. I also like the pavers at the entrance or Rabbit ears. Now the berm at the bottom isn't big enough Lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Expertrider.. major props again!! What you and the crew have done at Amelia is incredible.. It my favorite park in SoFla right now. Its fun, fast, SMOOTH (unlike oleta) just awesome..

I have a question.. Why so many jumps? I ride almost every weekend there and rarely ever see anyone clear the jumps, most people just seem to roll over them (me included).

Didn't Oleta have to close Area 51 a few years ago because of injuries on the jumps?

I really love how you have cleaned up the park to make it safe, when I ride oleta or Markham i feel like I will get impaled by a tree root if I fall.

One other thing.. I know in some parks they have Skill Days, where once a month or so, some of the more advance riders hold "classes" for a few hours going around the parks teaching riding skills. Is that something you would be interested in for Amelia? I know I would love to go around the trail with a more experienced rider to learn from him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph87
    Expertrider.. major props again!! What you and the crew have done at Amelia is incredible.. It my favorite park in SoFla right now. Its fun, fast, SMOOTH (unlike oleta) just awesome..

I have a question.. Why so many jumps? I ride almost every weekend there and rarely ever see anyone clear the jumps, most people just seem to roll over them (me included).

Didn't Oleta have to close Area 51 a few years ago because of injuries on the jumps?

I really love how you have cleaned up the park to make it safe, when I ride oleta or Markham i feel like I will get impaled by a tree root if I fall.

One other thing.. I know in some parks they have Skill Days, where once a month or so, some of the more advance riders hold "classes" for a few hours going around the parks teaching riding skills. Is that something you would be interested in for Amelia? I know I would love to go around the trail with a more experienced rider to learn from him.

So, a few good questions... The jumps are because we love them! I'm an old-time BMX pro, so I love to catch air!
    The jumps are made with safety in mind- beginner-level riders can simply roll thru, while the advanced rider will jump everything.
    It's a bit of an art to create a trail that caters to many different rider abilities, but we're doing our best!

We could build 15' gap-jumps with 12" wide trails everywhere, but the beginner riders wouldn't even have a chance!
    The designs we are using should make it safe AND fun for everyone.

It's a LOT more work to make the trail extra-wide, add stairs to the climbs, clear the approach view, and all of the other things that we do to make the trail safe for everyone, but it's worth it!
    There are so many families riding together out there every weekend...it really cool to see a Dad, Mom, and kids all having a trail that they can ride together! We have also made a very safe beginner-level trail clearly marked for the 1st time rider or smaller child....

Come out early in the morning when many of the more advanced riders are training...you'll see everyone clearing the jumps!
    My good friend (and Pro racer) Bob McCarty does offer lessons regularly, as does Drew Edsel (another top Pro racer)... If you're interested in getting some pro instruction, let me know, I'll make it happen.....
    Again, it's just a little something for everyone....enjoy!!!

mtbr member

Good job!

I have to say that when we finally have the much needed rain and all the trails are packed again, Amelia will be 100% awesome. Now it is only 98%... Just kidding!!
    The same situation exists at Markham. All the trails are fine, but those patches of soft sand.....
    Anyway, I like the way all the trails are designed with safety in mind as that adds to the fun factor and doesn't distract from the difficulty rating of some of them. There is nothing more rewarding than flying along smooth trails with plenty of climbs, descents and jumps while not having to worry too much about busting up yourself or the bike!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Don't have to worry about rain a a couple of days. Rode there this morning and it was great. Also I live close to Amelia and it's been pouring all afternoon. So hopefully some of that water went that way.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    Don't have to worry about rain a a couple of days. Rode there this morning and it was great. Also I live close to Amelia and it's been pouring all afternoon. So hopefully some of that water went that way.
    The rain hit Markham, rode this AM and the trails are GREAT! I hope that Amelia got the benificial rains too!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Expert.. check your PM. I have a question about trail work tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Was at Amelia today. Havent been there in over a year and just got a new bike so i returned. I live a block away . But anyway the improvements are amazing!! Amazing job for all those involved in the effort. I have never seen so many cars in the pk lot! By the way had to call rescue today. A rider fell in little razorback an broke his collarbone and a rib. He should be ok. I would love to volunteer. When do you guys work on the trails?
    Last edited by eddievettelt1; 04-17-2011 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I rode at Amelia yesterday and was happy to see the trails packed-in from the recent rains. That being said...that climb in Chupacabra that you guys filled in was IMO the worst sandy spot on the whole trail, so that was a big improvement. That paver path is another good improvement, that section was always sandy as well.

With the all the work you guys have done to (a) fill in the sections that get muddy during the summer and (b) firm up the sections that get really sugar-sandy in the winter, this trail is becoming really fun to ride year-round. Given our weather patterns, that's a great achievement!

Btw, I like the new trail signs that have been added, it's nice to know the trail names . My only suggestion would be to increase the font size, so they're a little easier to read when you're flying by. I'm splitting hairs here though . Great work!

mtbr member
    i go to markham for 2 weeks and this is what i miss?

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner
    i go to markham for 2 weeks and this is what i miss?
    I guess you have to ride Amelia and Markham on the same days....

TRANCER
    I was there Sunday for the first time in 2 months. Started a new job and haven't had the time or energy to go those 2 months. But now I'm back and must give Mr. Expert his props ! So many new things here and there. Park is flowing very nicely. A lot less sand as well. Btw I agree on a lot of points a lot of people have made about making the park safe and this n that. But people let's face it. This is mountain biking after all. Sometimes I do wish they'd do what they do in Broward and make people sign a waver and watch a video. If some things are too much for you to handle then do what the signs say and ride within your limits problem solved. I did see the rescue out there Sunday and that guy looked pretty banged up for sure. Funny that it was on the section that most new people find the most difficult. Riding out of your limits maybe? Most probably. But seriously. Ride within your limits or stay on the street or choose another hobby.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Ride within your limits or stay on the street or choose another hobby.
    I think Markham had a good idea when they set up the entrance to the advanced section of the Warm Up Loop. They put a log pyramid at the entrance together with a sign that says something to the effect of: "if you cannot clear this obstacle, do not ride this section of trail". I think that's a good way of weeding out riders who might get in over their head.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar99ta
    I think Markham had a good idea when they set up the entrance to the advanced section of the Warm Up Loop. They put a log pyramid at the entrance together with a sign that says something to the effect of: "if you cannot clear this obstacle, do not ride this section of trail". I think that's a good way of weeding out riders who might get in over their head.
    I'd have to agree Oscar99ta. Suprised that Dade County Parks haven't thought about doing this yet. What really pisses me off is that people know mountain biking is considered an extreme sport yet they want to do it then get hurt and wanna sue someone. If you choose to do this it should all be on YOU. And stop crying like a bunch of pansies
    Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW
    I guess you have to ride Amelia and Markham on the same days....
    lol i think i'm gonna hit amelia today

Trail Junkie
    don't knock the hustle....................
    Oh thats mature..
    "Hustle" is nothing but ignorance towards ethics.

You impress noone with your e-ganster comments.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

TRANCER
    Oh thats mature..
    "Hustle" is nothing but ignorance towards ethics.

You impress noone with your e-ganster comments.
    Seriously dude. Lol
    Ride

mtbr member
    i rode this park about 6 years ago, if not more...back then it wasnt as long...but it was a fun ride for sure....is there a big drop at the end still?

Must get out there soon, this weekend sucks cause its easter and have family coming, plus a friend is flying in for the weekend. Wish she rode though =(

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    went to amelia today. great crowd. i really enjoy the improvements and everything in general...

Trail Junkie
    The trails are much much different than they were 6 years ago and for the better of course. You may recognize some of the legacy sections but for the most part it will probably be unfamiliar.

As for the big hill at the end, there is one close to the end, but along with changes there have been many additions. You will just have to take some time and come check it out
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Go to Markham on any Sunday and watch the genius beginners on Wal-Mart bikes walking over that obstacle with the clear caution sign...then they try to ride the advanced sections and get hurt!!
    Now, try to imagine how ineffective such a sign would be at Amelia!!!
    Every rider out there thinks they can handle the advanced stuff....even complete beginners!

The trail gets a HUGE amount of damage from all of the skidding, crashing, and walking up every inclined surface....and it isn't the experienced riders that do the damage!!

We just have to make everything strong enough to withstand the abuse...without killing anyone......

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i saw alot of little kids on bmx bikes with no helmets riding that open area all the way towards the back of amelia. i almost ran them all over literally.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Go to Markham on any Sunday and watch the genius beginners on Wal-Mart bikes walking over that obstacle with the clear caution sign...then they try to ride the advanced sections and get hurt!!
    Every rider out there thinks they can handle the advanced stuff....even complete beginners!

The trail gets a HUGE amount of damage from all of the skidding, crashing, and walking up every inclined surface....and it isn't the experienced riders that do the damage!!

We just have to make everything strong enough to withstand the abuse...without killing anyone......

I'm sure we would all agree that big egos coupled with stupidity is a root cause of this. Always has been this way and always will unless the trail is a private lands, limited access location.

Just shake your head as you ride by.

PK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Point taken. Admittedly I don't ride Markham on the weekends, so I haven't been around to witness that sort of thing. I guess I don't represent the typical rider, since I'm way conservative and don't take on any feature I'm not comfortable with .

I guess they had a good idea in theory, but it fails in practice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddievettelt1
    went to amelia today. great crowd. i really enjoy the improvements and everything in general...
    i was there too, from about 6 to 7 for a quick ride. what bike were you riding? i was on my rumblefish with my buddy on a lime green cannondale HT 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i was there too, from about 6 to 7 for a quick ride. what bike were you riding? i was on my rumblefish with my buddy on a lime green cannondale HT 29er.
    i was on a white giant trance and my buddy was on a black and blue trek fuel. i think i remember seeing that lime green cannondale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Was at amelia today for an early morning ride. It was packed! Cant get enough of it lol.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Case in point now is the landing area after the first big downhill on Gunrange trail. All the newbies have wrecked this by over-applying their brakes and skidding a big hole in the trail...
    The last repair made this downhill super smooth and very fast. I guess doing too good of a job sometimes isn't good enough either...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddievettelt1
    i was on a white giant trance and my buddy was on a black and blue trek fuel. i think i remember seeing that lime green cannondale.

haha yeah i remember you guys. nice bikes! we'll be at markham today around 5:30-5:45 if you guys want to get some riding in!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW
    Case in point now is the landing area after the first big downhill on Gunrange trail. All the newbies have wrecked this by over-applying their brakes and skidding a big hole in the trail...
    The last repair made this downhill super smooth and very fast. I guess doing too good of a job sometimes isn't good enough either...
    or that downhill, the one that's just after you pass by the FR section, (i think it's in a trail called red-something). i remember that downhill used to be seamless like a year ago, now i feel like i'm gonna get wrenched out of my clips when i try to take the downhill with any amount of speed or finesse.

Trail Junkie
    When you say the "FR" section, are you referring to Little Razorback in the back?
    Are you referring to the S-Turn that turns to gravel and a small double that pushes you into a right hand turn with a berm (exit of Chupacabra)?
    On the exit of Little Razorback where it makes a quick left and then a straight away?
    After that you hit a couple doubles, through an S-Turn which brings you back up Chupacabra and down into Rabbit Ears which are the 3 downhill/climb sections.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about trail rating and getting people to avoid riding outside of their limits, but the signs and adding difficult sections at the very beginning to deter people does not deter everyone. There is also a different building objective at Amelia than there is at Markham. Currently there is only 2-3 actual man-made objects that you crossover while riding Amelia, not counting the concrete tubes on Razorback which are cover with dirt. Where as much of the design integrates man-made additions to the trail. The problem with this is that if you fall, there is a good chance that it won't be falling on earth. There is no doubt that Amelia is a much safer park to ride than Markham, and it was designed that way. There is no way to keep people off the trail that don't have the required skills to ride it. There is obviously too many here that are not intelligent enough to make that determination. The trails are labeled according to difficulty, and that is the best advisory/warning we can provide. Mountain biking in general is a dangerous sport. Everything is "Ride at your own risk" and it should be respected in such a manner. Mountain bikers understand understand and accept this risk.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    When you say the "FR" section, are you referring to Little Razorback in the back?
    Are you referring to the S-Turn that turns to gravel and a small double that pushes you into a right hand turn with a berm (exit of Chupacabra)?
    On the exit of Little Razorback where it makes a quick left and then a straight away?
    After that you hit a couple doubles, through an S-Turn which brings you back up Chupacabra and down into Rabbit Ears which are the 3 downhill/climb sections.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about trail rating and getting people to avoid riding outside of their limits, but the signs and adding difficult sections at the very beginning to deter people does not deter everyone. There is also a different building objective at Amelia than there is at Markham. Currently there is only 2-3 actual man-made objects that you crossover while riding Amelia, not counting the concrete tubes on Razorback which are cover with dirt. Where as much of the design integrates man-made additions to the trail. The problem with this is that if you fall, there is a good chance that it won't be falling on earth. There is no doubt that Amelia is a much safer park to ride than Markham, and it was designed that way. There is no way to keep people off the trail that don't have the required skills to ride it. There is obviously too many here that are not intelligent enough to make that determination. The trails are labeled according to difficulty, and that is the best advisory/warning we can provide. Mountain biking in general is a dangerous sport. Everything is "Ride at your own risk" and it should be respected in such a manner. Mountain bikers understand understand and accept this risk.

sorry i was referring to markham (he mentioned gunrange in his post, which is a trail in the back of markham) there's a freeride section in markham and a trail that passes by it (redback?) right as you pass by the freeride section there's a downhill that's pretty big, but it used to at least be smooth and now it's just jarring.

Trail Junkie
    Oh ok, yah that is Redback..the downhill section that transitions to Traverse to Area 51. Yah that hill is kind of worn out, just have to stay to the right side, lean back and ride it out. I think much of it is due to erosion from being so dry. Also there are no steps or anything for people to walk down if it is too much for them. I imagine that they will replace it with a wood ramp kind of like what they did with Alligator Alley (Big Gulp). You should have seen that section 10yrs ago!! 12ft. drop with planks holding the dirt from eroding, it use to be the most scary descent in the park!!!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    or that downhill, the one that's just after you pass by the FR section, (i think it's in a trail called red-something). i remember that downhill used to be seamless like a year ago, now i feel like i'm gonna get wrenched out of my clips when i try to take the downhill with any amount of speed or finesse.
    Wow, that hill was seamless? I missed out! I've only ridden Markham a few times but have always avoided that hill since it scares me with all the rocks. In contrast, I ride down all the hills at Amelia with no problem since they're all smooth with nice runouts.

mtbr member
    Oh ok, yah that is Redback..the downhill section that transitions to Traverse to Area 51. Yah that hill is kind of worn out, just have to stay to the right side, lean back and ride it out. I think much of it is due to erosion from being so dry. Also there are no steps or anything for people to walk down if it is too much for them. I imagine that they will replace it with a wood ramp kind of like what they did with Alligator Alley (Big Gulp). You should have seen that section 10yrs ago!! 12ft. drop with planks holding the dirt from eroding, it use to be the most scary descent in the park!!!
    lol i can imagine. i'm sure they will get in there and do some repairs with all the new stuff that's going in (like the new expert section in the warmup loop, which, for some reason, i always wash out the rear tire on that little climb before the bridge because i REFUSE to granny gear such a little climb)

Wow, that hill was seamless? I missed out! I've only ridden Markham a few times but have always avoided that hill since it scares me with all the rocks. In contrast, I ride down all the hills at Amelia with no problem since they're all smooth with nice runouts.
    interestingly enough, that was my first big downhill. maybe not SEAMLESS per se, but i've never been scared of it... for a while i would chicken out on much smaller stuff (huck-u?)and still ride that section... not there's really nothing i won't do in the entire park except i don't boither even going into gunrange. actually have never been in there, just heard horror stories so i prefer to stick to the rest of the park.

at amelia i tear down anything. there isn't one section of amelia that i won't power through. even learning to get some air on some of the new obstacles like those dirt jump things in the back with the concrete tubes under them (rear suspension lockout? check!)

mtbr member
    Do you guys ride on the weekends? Id love to catch up with you guys and ride...i havent been there in a REALLY long time, so would be nice to get a tour from people who ride it all the time. Let me know, normally ill ride Saturday and sunday. Maybe a weekday if its a holiday for me (i get all the bank holidays off).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLife420
    Do you guys ride on the weekends? Id love to catch up with you guys and ride...i havent been there in a REALLY long time, so would be nice to get a tour from people who ride it all the time. Let me know, normally ill ride Saturday and sunday. Maybe a weekday if its a holiday for me (i get all the bank holidays off).
    man i have this stupid wedding to go to saturday (girlfriend's best friend) or else i'd love to... sunday i can ride but in the afternoon. lmk!

my plans today are going crazy not sure if i'm riding amelia markham or oleta! aahh!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast