mtbr member

XC Trails in Atlanta/NWest GA

Hey people. I'm from Jersey but I'll be coming down to Alabama and Georgia on the 8th of April for a little road trip on my spring break. The plan is to go to Alabama to HP40 to boulder for a couple of days, then head to GA to La Fayette and boulder(Rocktown) and bike in the area. So once we get to GA I'd like to know where the best trails are. I know I did some research and the Olympic trail is supposedly still good. But what else is in the Atlanta or Northwest area of Georgia? I'm looking for nice XC trails with singletrack and technical sections if possible. Any recommendations? Please let me know as I can't wait to do some biking in the south.

Ryan H.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Man, you are going to LOVE bouldering at Rocktown. You should check out Horsepens on your way through Alabama, too- there is some sick bouldering there, too. As far as riding, there are some decent trails right there by Rocktown, on top of Pigeon Mountain. If you camp at the parking lot at Rocktown you can pedal to the trails. Maps are available at the gam echecking station at the base of the mountain.

From Lafeyette, you could cruise up to the Cohuttas in Georgia and hit Sumac Creek & Iron Mountain trails, Maybe Wendy Gap (gotta climb Tibs), then over to Bear Creek and the Pinhotti. After that cruise up to the Ocoee and and ride the trails at the Olympic Center. Then, if you have time, drive up the road to Chillhowee and sample those, too.

Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Yea I was at Horsepens this past december and can't wait to go back. That's definetly on the agenda. Rocktown I've heard is awesome and can't wait to check that all out. I'm gonna start making a list of the spots to ride. Keep em coming if you think of any more.

Ryan H.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    Man, you are going to LOVE bouldering at Rocktown. You should check out Horsepens on your way through Alabama, too- there is some sick bouldering there, too. As far as riding, there are some decent trails right there by Rocktown, on top of Pigeon Mountain. If you camp at the parking lot at Rocktown you can pedal to the trails. Maps are available at the gam echecking station at the base of the mountain.

From Lafeyette, you could cruise up to the Cohuttas in Georgia and hit Sumac Creek & Iron Mountain trails, Maybe Wendy Gap (gotta climb Tibs), then over to Bear Creek and the Pinhotti. After that cruise up to the Ocoee and and ride the trails at the Olympic Center. Then, if you have time, drive up the road to Chillhowee and sample those, too.

Enjoy your trip!
    Well unfortunately I had a friend that had a back problem early on so I didn't get to ride as much as I'd hoped but I did log a few miles. The olympic track is pretty sweet. The first half was awesome just to ride flat out and hug the curves and the second half up and down the granite slabs was pretty awesome as well. Just a great course to ride if you're in the area. I also rode Big Creek in Roswell which was tiny but fun and Pigeon Mountain which the trail conditions were horrible. That place just needs riders. The trails were in definite need of maintanence and just traffic in general. Overall a good GA riding experience though.

Ryan H.

mtbr member
    You should ride Oak Mtn. in Birmingham, AL if your gonna be at HP40. Its about 45 min. from Steele, AL and you could also boulder a near by location in Hoover called the Preserve. Oak Mtn is a 17 mi loop of fast, smooth singletrack. The Preserve is nothing special but its a great place to climb in town. Let me know if your decide to head this way and I could get you a small bouldering guide... (you might be able to find a guide of HP40 and the Preserve/Moss Rock on modump.com)
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    You should ride Oak Mtn. in Birmingham, AL if your gonna be at HP40. Its about 45 min. from Steele, AL and you could also boulder a near by location in Hoover called the Preserve. Oak Mtn is a 17 mi loop of fast, smooth singletrack. The Preserve is nothing special but its a great place to climb in town. Let me know if your decide to head this way and I could get you a small bouldering guide... (you might be able to find a guide of HP40 and the Preserve/Moss Rock on modump.com)
    Well the trip was last week so I'll have to keep this in mind for the next trip down. I knew there had to be some biking in the area of HP. I just wasn't sure where.

Ryan H.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oak Mountain is probably one of my favorite trails in the southeast. Definitely check it out on your next visit.