mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Womble - SingleSpeed Friendly?

OK, I know the answer depends on many variables like oh, is the rider in shape, etc I ask because my wife & I are making our first Womble trip this weekend and I'd like to bring my 29er SS & leave the geared FS rig at home if possible.

It seems as though the trail descriptions I've read describe the trail as generally SS friendly as long as you can handle a few climbs. Being from the midwest, I haven't had much ride time for the last month and I don't want to ruin the trip by bring the wrong bike. I currently have it geared for slower winter riding (33x20) so climbs should be easier than with my normal 33x17.

Any single speeders with advise?

Thanks!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

paintbucket
    All trails are good for SS, but the Womble is particularly good. Its smooth and flowy with minimal momentum eaters. Go for it.

The downside is that you may pedal away from a geared bike on the climbs. I don't know what your wife would think about that. My solution is to bring her SS as well.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds great! I've been trying to get my wife to jump into the single speed fray but so far she won't take the plunge. Since I'll have to wait for her to catch up anyhow I am leaning towards the SS
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

paintbucket
    A word of advice: if you build it, she will ride it.

When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    A word of advice: if you build it, she will ride it.

True enough, I think.

I've been telling her I am going to build her one for six months now & she just says that I'd be waisting my time. However, she took a brief spin on a Rig last spring and the combo of the ss & the big wheels did cause her to say:

"Wow, this thing really moves out!" I guess I should keep pushing the issue

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    How'd it go?

LP

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [whats womble?

QUOTE=lanpope]How'd it go?

LP[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyaroxy
    [whats womble?

QUOTE=lanpope]How'd it go?

LP
    [/QUOTE]

this is Womble:

http://www.imba.com/epics/hot_springs_ar.html

and while you're in Arkansas you might check out Syllamo:

http://www.imba.com/epics/syllamo_trails.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    How'd it go?

LP
    LP,
    Sorry I missed your post. Our ride went very well. I am glad I brought the single speed

I did have to walk a few climbs as I am currently in my midwest-winter state of fitness (FAT) My gearing of 33x20 was a good choice and the Womble ROCKS!

I really wish we had a long out & back trail like that here in Illinois, my rides would not be nearly so boring as they can get on a 10 mile stacked loop system that we have in this area.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    LP,
    Sorry I missed your post. Our ride went very well. I am glad I brought the single speed

I did have to walk a few climbs as I am currently in my midwest-winter state of fitness (FAT) My gearing of 33x20 was a good choice and the Womble ROCKS!

I really wish we had a long out & back trail like that here in Illinois, my rides would not be nearly so boring as they can get on a 10 mile stacked loop system that we have in this area.
    Good to hear that!

I totally agree on the trail. I think it rocks. I may be giving the OC a go on the SS this year, so we will see.

Glad you had fun...

Have you been to Syllamo? I actually think it is the better trail - though not nearly as SS friendly! You can ride the loops however you want to make a killer 40+mile epic or a 12-15 mile climb/downhill fest. Great trails in that part of AR!

LP