mtbr member

Womble pt to pt, what direction?

I'm wanting to do a point to point ride of the entire Womble trail. Which do you think would be the best direction to ride? We would one of the local shuttle services to do this.

I've ridden 298 to North Fork Lake and back many times, and also did 298 to Fisherman's Village and back once, so I know what to expect on this section but haven't been on the section north of Fisherman's Village. We were thinking it would be best to drop a car at the NE trailhead (roundtop I think, off of FS D75A) and get shuttled to North Fork and ride the trail west to east. I called to see how much a shuttle would be and was told that the road into the NE trailhead is pretty overgrown and would scratch up a vehicle (shuttle guy didn't mind he truck getting scratched, just concerned about mine). Can anyone give me a little insight to this road and it's conditions? I read MTBARK say you could take the the Ouachita Trail north of Story on hwy 27and connect up to the Womble, but I don't know where this access point is, an extra 5miles or so doesn't bother me, I'd rather do that than scratch up my vehicle.

Thanks to any and all help,
    phil.

bikerpilot
    Phil, I think the best advice is to get dropped down at North Fork Lake and ride up. I've asked the same question, and that's the general advice I got. I haven't done the whole point to point yet, but I have done a couple of parts of it. I've done the race course, from south of 298(I think, or maybe 278?) to the fish camp(14 miles), and the part on the ouachita trail north of story down to story. Some of the ouachita trail was real fun, but some of it was real not fun. If you want to do it, you follow HWY 27 north of Story, and you should see a sign where the ouachita trail crosses the highway on top of a hill. On the left, there's a small parking area where you can jump on the trail. You've done the part just south of the fish camp, so you know what's going on there. If you do it heading south, it's a short steep climb and then a long fast run down reed mountain, or going north, it's a long fast climb up reed mountain(Reed Mountain is really fast both ways, which is incredibly awesome), with a short super fast descent down to the fish camp. Good luck, I can't wait to get up there again. It's my favorite place to leave it all behind and ride all day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yay! My First Post Ever

We've done the Womble a few times now. Last time we did it end to end we had the folks at River Haven Resort help us drop our cars off at North Fork Lake. Then we hitched a ride with them to the other end and biked back. It worked out pretty well. I think most people might do the opposite but we liked getting some of the big hills out of the way at the start.

I'd also avoid the Ouachita. Nowhere near as fun as the Womble for mountainbiking. It still seems more like a hiking trail to me.