Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Windrock in Tennessee, How is it?

I have been looking at Windrock on the internet and I think the place looks fascinating. (even with the admission charge, which BTW is it worth it?) Would my bike be able to handle all of what is offered there including the Free-ride downhill part? I would really like to experience some downhill type of action as it looks like so much fun. The bike I would be using is a 2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe with stock Fox suspension. It has 5inches of travel. And if anyone is interested in going, drop a message by me and we could plan a trip. (Asking in partly because I get lost easy on trails I have not been to and there are a lot of times I can't get anyone to come with me that I know, experienced or not)

Thanks and hope to hear some feedback on this place.

-Brett

banned
    Did somebody say Windrock I am totally hooked on this place,and I have been 6 weekends in a row!!!!! We are planning on a Dec. 11th ride there.Although I would love to go the 4th but I need shuttle buddies.

I have talked too several riders and they say WR has the most variety and amount of trails around this area.

Will your bike survive??? tires seem to be the one thing that takes a beating. I would say put on the burliest tires you can find and bring several tubes along.There are places where you may use all of that 5" of travel on some drops, but they can be walked around.

PM me when you can go and I'll probably be there! Snow will soon kill all the riding there

mtbr member
    Sweet. I have Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires mounted, so they are pretty burly.I can carry a few bikes if needed in my truck. This assumes I do not kill myself during finals haha.

-Brett

Its got what plants crave
    If you've got skills you could ride any bike there, but you'll wish you had a full on downhill ride once you ride up there a bit. There are some BIG rocks and nasty ledges and big hits.. it's a blast.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042
    I have been looking at Windrock on the internet and I think the place looks fascinating. (even with the admission charge, which BTW is it worth it?) Would my bike be able to handle all of what is offered there including the Free-ride downhill part? I would really like to experience some downhill type of action as it looks like so much fun. The bike I would be using is a 2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe with stock Fox suspension. It has 5inches of travel. And if anyone is interested in going, drop a message by me and we could plan a trip. (Asking in partly because I get lost easy on trails I have not been to and there are a lot of times I can't get anyone to come with me that I know, experienced or not)

Thanks and hope to hear some feedback on this place.

-Brett
    Now Brett can tell anyone about WR, we shredded all day yesterday and that Kona-dawg held together Just waiting for the gopro video footage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Now Brett can tell anyone about WR, we shredded all day yesterday and that Kona-dawg held together Just waiting for the gopro video footage
    Haha! I am surprised on how the Dawg did at WR. Thanks again for letting me use some gear, it did it job very well. I will get some of the footage together today, and will hopefully get one edited today or tomorrow.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm driving over to WR in a couple of weeks from NC for spring break. Does anyone have a good link with information? I want to know whether most riders shuttle or pedal up? And where the trail heads are etc. Thanks!

banned
    We had the go-pro"s filming 2 weekends ago and I rode there 5 or 6 hours today.

banned
    I have never seen a map of the bike trails and everyone shuttles up. The only link I know of is for the
    OHV = really loud muffler crowd!

They do have some kind of "Hack" map on that site but its not the dh trails.

I did find this
    map
    just now searching around, but there are several trails with lots of split-offs.

mtbr member
    That was a great video motobutane! I would like to head over there again sometime. I have a full-face helmet now, but still not other padding.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Vid looks great! What did you guys do for shuttling?

banned
    That was a great video motobutane! I would like to head over there again sometime. I have a full-face helmet now, but still not other padding.

-Brett
    I've got extra Knees & elbows so I got ya covered. We are going back March 5th, the race crowd will be in Clemson that weekend so just us rec. riders.

dccool879
    Vid looks great! What did you guys do for shuttling?

dccool879 - We had a truck with 7 bikes hanging off the tailgate.

banned

-Brett
    Here's the rest of that days footage that Brain edited; I can't imagine how much time it took him???? He had two or three camera's and was changing mounts every run!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is pedaling up out of the question? I come from the pretty flat central NC and I have only done DH runs at sunday river which has a lift so I'm probably in for a treat due to lack of shuttle driver haha. It's just me and my girlfriend, we were gonna take a trip to Asheville but we decided this would be cooler (plus mad cheap hotels in west knoxville). I didn't really think the shuttle thing through, and the more I research the place the more I realized I picked a hardcore DH spot which is going to kill her hahahaha whoops.

We will be there March 5th too, and 6th and 7th as well but might check out big foot and other trails if she eats it too hard that Saturday (which she probably will)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dccool879
    Is pedaling up out of the question? I come from the pretty flat central NC and I have only done DH runs at sunday river which has a lift so I'm probably in for a treat due to lack of shuttle driver haha. It's just me and my girlfriend, we were gonna take a trip to Asheville but we decided this would be cooler (plus mad cheap hotels in west knoxville). I didn't really think the shuttle thing through, and the more I research the place the more I realized I picked a hardcore DH spot which is going to kill her hahahaha whoops.

We will be there March 5th too, and 6th and 7th as well but might check out big foot and other trails if she eats it too hard that Saturday (which she probably will)
    Pedaling up would be a brutal death march, if your there the 5th just jump on the truck with us PM me before you go and I'll send you my cell# and I can tell you where we meet-up.

mtbr member
    Pedaling up is pretty much out of the question.

Moto: I should be able to make it on the fifth. I bet it took him a good while to edit from three cameras!

-Carraig042

mtbr member
    Conditions were incredible this weekend.
    Here's a shot from the Canyon Jump:

canyon jump

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPanic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tpgaines/5462207615/

Great shot PeterPanic, can't wait til I can go again! I wish I had a DH bike and the time to be able to go to WR more so I could work my way up to that jump and a few of the drop-offs that are there as well. I just dont think at my skill level (for DH) I want to push my Kona Dawg that far! haha

-Brett

mtbr member

canyon jump

We are planning to move to that area in a year or so...from the pics it seems there is at least some small stuff to play around on...
    anything big?
    Deltona (between daytona and orlando)
    2006 trek liquid with beefy freeride components for my fat arse

mtbr member
    @ Carraig042 - It takes about an hour to pedal to Startin $hit. A little longer to pedal to the windmills, depending on what bike you are on. I've done shuttles during the week with a car, a cross-bike and a dh bike. I know someone who hitch hikes up with the miners (during the weekdays.)
    But on a good weekend, there's usually a crowd out there, so no reason to pedal.

@ mattbatson - nope, nothing very big. Just long descents with a road that goes right to the top.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Pedaling up would be a brutal death march, if your there the 5th just jump on the truck with us PM me before you go and I'll send you my cell# and I can tell you where we meet-up.
    sickkk!

Jackalope Hunter
    @ Carraig042 - It takes about an hour to pedal to Startin $hit. A little longer to pedal to the windmills, depending on what bike you are on. I've done shuttles during the week with a car, a cross-bike and a dh bike. I know someone who hitch hikes up with the miners (during the weekdays.)
    But on a good weekend, there's usually a crowd out there, so no reason to pedal.

@ mattbatson - nope, nothing very big. Just long descents with a road that goes right to the top.
    Wait, did I read that right, you've ridden windrock on a Cross-bike?
    That doesn't sound even remotely fun (or sane!)
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    @jayjudy13 - No, I guess I wasn't very clear. What I meant is that when I have gone out there by myself (during the week,) I would pull into the parking lot, lock my cross-bike in the parking area then drive up to the top with my DH bike. Then do a run. At the bottom I would lock my DH-bike and pedal the cross-bike up to get my car.

banned
    @jayjudy13 - No, I guess I wasn't very clear. What I meant is that when I have gone out there by myself (during the week,) I would pull into the parking lot, lock my cross-bike in the parking area then drive up to the top with my DH bike. Then do a run. At the bottom I would lock my DH-bike and pedal the cross-bike up to get my car.
    I heard you and Todd talking about riding there by yourself and thats pretty ballsy. I could just see me laying on a rock dead waiting for someone to find me, and I find myself waiting for any slower rider just to make sure they are not hurt........I guess I'm getting soft

Jackalope Hunter

Yeah, that part wasn't clear. But still, pedaling up on the cross bike is pretty insane imho. Props to you for having the energy to do that.

Like Moto said though, WR isn't exactly the safest place to ride alone. You crash hard enough and get hurt, you are going to be laying there a LONG time before someone finds you. Maybe i'm just getting old.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast