Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Windrock Park

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7

    Windrock Park

    Has anyone ridden the mountain bike trails at Windrock besides the downhill course. I have heard there is some sweet cross county and all mountain trail riding up there. If someone is familiar with the trails, I need some help on deciding where to start and what route to take.

    By the way I am looking for a 10-15 mile ride that is technical and fast in sections, but where I can also take my time if I want to.

  2. #2
    Somersault Expert
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    14
    I used to off-road up there frequently during college. I have seen the DH course in action, however I never saw bikes on other trails. Looking at the trail map I don't see any bike specific trails. Chances are you would be sharing with 4WD, ATV, motorcycle and any other gas powered lunatic. From trail experience...I would avoid any trail up there NOT designated bike only. Even then, be ready for the off course redneck.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenBeard View Post
    I used to off-road up there frequently during college. I have seen the DH course in action, however I never saw bikes on other trails. Looking at the trail map I don't see any bike specific trails. Chances are you would be sharing with 4WD, ATV, motorcycle and any other gas powered lunatic. From trail experience...I would avoid any trail up there NOT designated bike only. Even then, be ready for the off course redneck.
    We have been building some XC trails over the past 4 or 5 winters. Its slow going since there is only really 2 of us consistently. However we have about an 7-8 mile loop depending on how you loop the upper trails. Its very raw, very technical, and physically challenging. Everything has been hand cut and built by two guys that used to build the DH trails, so when it goes down, expect very technical DH orientated trails. The best way to find the trails is go up towards the Windrock Park Campground and the trailhead is on your right as you go up the hill. There is a small pull off with gravel parking and a sign.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    503

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Deleted

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Do you know what kind of riders will make up the beginner class? Is it first time racers? Also what kind of gear do most people where in something like this? How long is the race? I'm interested, but I have never raced before. Any other info would be great. If you don't know the answers it's fine, just thought I would ask.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    503
    I don't know. I'm only up there a few times a year. Post up on the Ridemonkey site. Most events there are on the smaller side but a lot of fun and you'll get to know some of the locals. If I was closer, I'd be there all the time.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    187
    I did the 3rd Coast race at Coldwater and had a blast. Planning on running this one too. Might head out there this Fri to check out some of the bike specific trails. I've only ridden dirt bikes out there in the past.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    94
    Based on last years event at Windrock, I would think it is very unfriendly for true beginners. I don't know what trails are being run this year however. But its hard to find beginner trails out there. When we used to do DH races we didn't even offer a beginner class. Sport usually ran down a 4wheel drive road and still caught out most of the competitors.

  10. #10
    Jackalope Hunter
    Reputation: jayjudy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    903
    I was going to post a link to ridemonkey but offcamber beat me to it.
    B Team represent

    OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    187
    Signed up, should be fun.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    112

    Re: Windrock Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatroid Skittle View Post
    Has anyone ridden the mountain bike trails at Windrock besides the downhill course. I have heard there is some sweet cross county and all mountain trail riding up there. If someone is familiar with the trails, I need some help on deciding where to start and what route to take.

    By the way I am looking for a 10-15 mile ride that is technical and fast in sections, but where I can also take my time if I want to.
    I have ridden the Windrock XC course, I Strava'd it if you care to see my speed and elevation. Raw and technical are accurate words. There are numerous rock gardens, and the whole backside climb CW is about a dozen switchbacks. I personally don't consider the trail XC. I rode my hard tail(only) bike on it, and do not recommend a hard tail, if you are ballsy, run tubeless, and enjoy rock gardens on a hard tail go for it. Personally I did not like the trail, but I'm not a technical riding addict, and need more skill to ride it fairly.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    I have ridden the Windrock XC course, I Strava'd it if you care to see my speed and elevation. Raw and technical are accurate words. There are numerous rock gardens, and the whole backside climb CW is about a dozen switchbacks. I personally don't consider the trail XC. I rode my hard tail(only) bike on it, and do not recommend a hard tail, if you are ballsy, run tubeless, and enjoy rock gardens on a hard tail go for it. Personally I did not like the trail, but I'm not a technical riding addict, and need more skill to ride it fairly.
    I'm gonna give that loop a try. Have you ridden the Walden Ridge Trail just west of there? It's not on Strava, but on a Windrock map I have.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    112

    Re: Windrock Park

    Quote Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
    I'm gonna give that loop a try. Have you ridden the Walden Ridge Trail just west of there? It's not on Strava, but on a Windrock map I have.
    I haven't. When I went our main objective was ATV and Dirt bikes, I squeezed in a night bike ride. I'm building an AM bike, I wonder if i could handle the downhill stuff at Wind rock.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    187
    Cool thanks. I'll let y'all know what I find.

  16. #16
    Jackalope Hunter
    Reputation: jayjudy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    I'm building an AM bike, I wonder if i could handle the downhill stuff at Wind rock.

    The DH trails at windrock are about as tech as it gets. Think expert only. You could manage them on an AM or Enduro bike if you brought your A game but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun as it is on a DH bike...
    B Team represent

    OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    112

    Re: Windrock Park

    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post
    The DH trails at windrock are about as tech as it gets. Think expert only. You could manage them on an AM or Enduro bike if you brought your A game but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun as it is on a DH bike...
    The feedback is welcomed. I'm used to riding expert/advanced trails on a 100mm HT, of course not as vertical as windrock. I think I'll walk a trail or two first. Have you ridden Lone Mtn perhaps?

  18. #18
    Jackalope Hunter
    Reputation: jayjudy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    The feedback is welcomed. I'm used to riding expert/advanced trails on a 100mm HT, of course not as vertical as windrock. I think I'll walk a trail or two first. Have you ridden Lone Mtn perhaps?
    I have not. But I have ridden DH at places like Snowshoe WV and Beech Mt NC and Windrock DH is tougher by a long shot than either with exception of just a couple trails (lower hareball for example ) . All of the trails at WR are more rock garden than dirt and most have mandatory gap jumps with no easy go-arounds. Not a HT friendly place...

    That said I haven't ridden the WR XC trail... just lots of the DH.
    B Team represent

    OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    112

    Re: Windrock Park

    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post
    I have not. But I have ridden DH at places like Snowshoe WV and Beech Mt NC and Windrock DH is tougher by a long shot than either with exception of just a couple trails (lower hareball for example ) . All of the trails at WR are more rock garden than dirt and most have mandatory gap jumps with no easy go-arounds. Not a HT friendly place...
    I never planned on riding my HT there, but considering the 130mm/130mm AM I'm building. Knowing that Wind rock is that hards means I'll take my AM bike to other courses first to get a feel. I don't know if rock gardens and hucking will be my thing though >.>

Similar Threads

  1. Tennessee - Windrock DH runs
    By motobutane in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
  2. Windrock Fallfest Oct. 13th
    By Carraig042 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM
  3. Spring Fest at Windrock, TN: May 5-6th
    By Carraig042 in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM
  4. Windrock in Tennessee, How is it?
    By Carraig042 in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 06:17 AM
  5. Windrock Downhill from 4/10/2011
    By Carraig042 in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •