Thread: windrock

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm windrock

just checked out windrock on this website looks awesome i'm just wondering what kinda bike i need to takle it with because i got six inches of front travel on my bike but is that enough? and does it cost anything to get in

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut14
    just checked out windrock on this website looks awesome i'm just wondering what kinda bike i need to takle it with because i got six inches of front travel on my bike but is that enough? and does it cost anything to get in
    Ichecked it out too, looks like too much for me. But I think I did remember reading it was 10.00 dollhairs...

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    A one day pass is $15 a year pass is $80.
    I’d say most all the regulars on the mountain ride 8” forks and 8”-10” in the rear. I have seen bikes as low as 6” travel but not many. I ride 7” front and back, I only ride the easiest stuff and my bike is always the smallest lightest thing on the shuttle truck.
    Full body protection and a full face helmet are the norm. I’ve seen some folks where skate helmets though.
    There is a wide range of difficulty at Windrock several of the folks riding there are pro and semi pro DH racers some of them are long time riders with unbelievable skills and some are hacks like me. Everyone has fun though. Windrock is getting a big reputation, folks are starting to travel from all over North America to check it out.

Born on 2 Wheels
    I've hear a lot about Windrock it looks awsome! i need to make a trip there since im only 2hrs away.
    -sam
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

No e-drama please!!

Cool-blue Rhythm Windrock .02

I have been popping in at Windrock for a few years now off & on.

Been there with different bike setups.
    --Bullet + Monster-T & 24" rear wheel {works fine there for sure}
    ---Yeti DH-9 + Boxxer {great Windrock bike}
    ----V10 with 66RC---{this is a perfect windrock bike}
    It's rideable on a hardtail if you want,but it's a little rough on the feet no doubt .

1)Have a bike with fat tires
    2)Have good brakes
    3)Have at least a decent HA , & stay off the front brakes alot & you'll be a whole lot better off. It's not the beast you think it is .Snakerock trail is tame meandering singletrack with easy technical areas.There is a trail from the VERY top of the maountain which is pretty easy for sure & fun-takes about :15 to do........ All other trails are more intense,but try to ride them if you are a least a decent sport DH racer for example..Begginners might want to go to Bigfoot on the Freeride trails there....... or stay home.
    4)Have your own shuttle arranged.I'm not going to elaborate,but you'll be pushing or sitting in the parking lot otherwise probably .The regular hardcores like to do back to back runs-so if you can rip it up you'll be fine to attach yourself to thier shuttle.

*If Winrock is not your bag Then go to "BIGFOOT" mtn bike park closeby !!!!!!!
    It's the biggest 4x track in southeast :35 seconds race times ripping; & now has freeride trails.Bring a dirtjump bike or freeride bike....-or- even a full-on DH bike & don't hit your brakes it's fun.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider33

It's rideable on a hardtail if you want,but it's a little rough on the feet no doubt .

2)Have good brakes
    3)Have at least a decent HA , & stay off the front brakes alot & you'll be a whole lot better off. It's not the beast you think it is .Snakerock trail is tame meandering singletrack with easy technical areas.There is a trail from the VERY top of the maountain which is pretty easy for sure & fun-takes about :15 to do........ All other trails are more intense,but try to ride them if you are a least a decent sport DH racer for example..Begginners might want to go to Bigfoot on the Freeride trails there....... or stay home.
    4)Have your own shuttle arranged.I'm not going to elaborate,but you'll be pushing or sitting in the parking lot otherwise probably .The regular hardcores like to do back to back runs-so if you can rip it up you'll be fine to attach yourself to thier shuttle.

It's the biggest 4x track in southeast :35 seconds race times ripping; & now has freeride trails.Bring a dirtjump bike or freeride bike....-or- even a full-on DH bike & don't hit your brakes it's fun.

Thanks for the info. I think I might be a bit out gunned for Windrock myself, but I've been dieing too check out Bigfoot. All I've got is my 5" trail bike, but I'd just like to try and get my feet wet with at least a little lite FR. I'll see, I might should just stay home "ha ha".

Windrock does indeed look awesome......way outta my XC-a$$ league, though...hehheh ......

Born on 2 Wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider33

2)Have good brakes

hey, ive never heard of bigfoot sounds freaking awsome! is there any websites that could give me some info? Do you have to buy a pass or anything?
    thanks-
    sam
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    BigFoot is just on the Knoxville side of Solway as you take Pellissippi Parkway toward Oak Ridge. Its got a sweet Mountain Cross course, 2 sets of dirt jumps and 4 or 5 easy “freeride” trails. No fee to ride, helmets are required.
    Lots of people will be there this weekend. Morwood bikes is doing some demos both days.

No e-drama please!!
    www.harpersbikes.com
    John or Shaun at Harpers can help out on Bigfoot info.
    Yeah, it's FREE sunrise to sunset it's officially open. No gate or anything-just show up whenever..
    Morewood will be there tommorrow & Sunday 19/20th..