gray hair in my shammy

Will be working in Aiken SC, any trails nearby?

I'll be coming down from MD for a long weekend for work, and wondering if there's any places close by to get a short ride in. I'll be working most of the time, but if there's something nearby, maybe I can squeeze a quick ride in on 1 or 2 of the days I'm there. Also considering bringing my road fixie in case I can't get to the dirt. How are the roads in the area, bike friendly, wide shoulders perhaps?
    Thanks in advance
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Aiken, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bashturd
    I'll be coming down from MD for a long weekend for work, and wondering if there's any places close by to get a short ride in. I'll be working most of the time, but if there's something nearby, maybe I can squeeze a quick ride in on 1 or 2 of the days I'm there. Also considering bringing my road fixie in case I can't get to the dirt. How are the roads in the area, bike friendly, wide shoulders perhaps?
    Thanks in advance
    There is a trail that is off Hwy 301, aka Silver Bluff Rd. This is the ORA trail which is land owned by SRS. It's not a bad trail, but it's not the best either. I like it because it is close by and a good workout. Tight, twisty and lots of trees, lots of pine straw too. To get roughly ten miles in go in and out and if not the loop will be right at five miles. The local bike shop is Cyclesport on Whiskey Rd and the owner can give you directions on how to get there. All the other trails are around 30 to 45 minutes away. I'm not a roadie anymore, one too many dogs, so I can't comment on that part. I don't think it's a bike friendly town but there are a good many riders. Aiken Bicycle Club is active and you can find out more info at the bike shop. I hope you enjoy your visit to our town.

SALLGUD

Got four wheels?

I lived in Aiken for four years and recently moved to North Augusta (Edgefield County) to be closer to more trails.

Aiken has its ORA for a bit longer (they are threatening to shut it down), but if you have the ability to get out of town to the tune of 30 - 45 minutes, Edgefield County has Horn Creek, Turkey Creek, Wine Creek and Stevens Creek. If you drive an hour away, you have Hickory Knob and Baker Creek State Parks.

When you get here, if you want to ride some singletrack, either drop a quick note on this forum or hop on the SORBA/CSRA forum ( sorbacsra.org ) and one of us will either join you for a ride or give you some very detailed info on close rides.

Michael

gray hair in my shammy

Thanks guys

Looks like I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn on Whiskey road, so I will check out the bike shop there. Not even sure if I'll be able to get out, you know how work goes, but if I do get some time, at least I know there are some options close by.
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"