mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Will be in Tennessee next week

In a motor home. Probably going to do Skyline scenic drive, Blue Ridge pkwy then a trailway, Virginia Creeper, between Virgina and Tennessee. And finally end up in the Smokey Mtns. Will be spending about 5 days in this area. Any good trails around here I could hit? Maybe just for a short ride. An hour or two each day. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where in the Smokies will you be?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Smokey National Park

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is some good stuff around Knoxville but depending on where you are staying maybe be a 2 hr drive.
    Tsali outside Bryson city would be worth the drive

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wow. You're going to be in mtb heaven. That little area called the Smokies is loaded. The question should be, "What are the must hit trails for x type of riding near x and x?" There is a trail leaving the campground at VA Creeper - used to part of App Trl before a reroute. From there.... Boone, Asheville, Pisgah/Dupont, all have many great trails. Pack your fresh legs.

white boy extraordinaire
    If you are in GSMNP proper, there isn't much beyond FSR. If you are on the NC side, as mentioned, Tsali is a great place that has been around for decades, one of the older, if not oldest, mtb specific trails in the SE. Fontana, a little down the road from there, offers less trails but some more rigorous riding.

On the TN side, there is much to offer. There is a little unknown trail that info can be found here: Heading to Morristown TN . Beyond that there is Panther Creek SP that has a little but really isn't destination worthy. After that you would either need to Knoxville or to Pisgah NF, neither really close.

It is a real shame that there isn't any great MTBing in this area. You would think it would be ripe with trails, but the culture just does not exist, yet the available land is more than abundant. My in-laws live right outside the smokies and it is very frustrating.

Hope that helps. I will say that if you want to forego the mtbing, the hiking is the park is beyond amazing.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Holy Balls, Batman!!!! I drive right by this area every darn time I go to Pisgah(often) and wonder why there isn't a trail on these ridges. Looks like I found a quick stop on the way or way back on the next trip.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Panther Creek State is about 45-50 miles or longer depending what campground you're at, and it's fun. You can easily get 20 miles out of it without looping the same trails. If you're on NC side of Smokies, well, you got Tsali, Fontana, DuPont, Bent Creek, and some lesser knowns.

Edit: Also, if you're going be near the Virgina Creeper, down interstate 81, there is a place called Warrior Path State Park. Darwin's Revenge is one sweet trail to rip through! It might be dicey getting your RV into the trailhead, so if you're hauling an extra car you can leave RV at campground and take extra vehicle to trailhead(or ride on the road for a mile or so). The biking trails are on the other side of the park. So, you'll have the entire section of that park to yourself and fellow bikers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the info. Panther creek, I will write that trail down and save it, because we were going to do the Virginia Creeper but the weather got bad. Sleet, snow and temps in the low 20s. We will be going back to do it. Next time will be more of a trail riding trip than this one was.