Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex View Post
    My wife wrecked on that same qualifier. Mind you - she can clean the Vortex & John Brown. We just got back from downhilling @ Northstar so it isnt a skill thing. The parking lot was pretty crowded that day and she hit the bridge and then slowed down to wait for some people F'in around at the exit. She didnt carry enough speed to clear the crest and couldn't unclip. That is at least a 3' faceplant. It wasnt pretty.

From this thread it sounds like most of the crashes on the qualifier happen just trying to leave Vortex!

Dirty South Underdog
    Thread dredge monday!

I found this post looking for photos of the Vortex qualifiers, and it made me feel not so self-conscious about my experience... I rode Santos last week, and when I went to the Vortex section, I entered through the back, where the qualifier is a rock. I was like, "Hell yeah, I love rocks," and rode right over. I made the loop, took some photos, then was on my way out the front and when I got to the qualifier bridge, eyeballed it, and decided to walk... I've got way more experience with rocks than with wooden/manmade/skinny/tall/etc, so I didn't want to fall fate to exactly what's posted above.
    The 2 or 3 carloads of dudes in the parking lot gave me a weird look.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Thread dredge monday!

I found this post looking for photos of the Vortex qualifiers, and it made me feel not so self-conscious about my experience... I rode Santos last week, and when I went to the Vortex section, I entered through the back, where the qualifier is a rock. I was like, "Hell yeah, I love rocks," and rode right over. I made the loop, took some photos, then was on my way out the front and when I got to the qualifier bridge, eyeballed it, and decided to walk... I've got way more experience with rocks than with wooden/manmade/skinny/tall/etc, so I didn't want to fall fate to exactly what's posted above.
    The 2 or 3 carloads of dudes in the parking lot gave me a weird look.
    I wouldn't worry to much about the funny looks, if you felt it was best to walk the obstacle, more power to you.

Nothing worse than recovering from an injury received from out doing something that's as fun as MTB'ing.

I recently introduced a friend of mine to riding and his second ride he took a nasty spill. I waited and waited for him at the end of the ride and started to get that ominous feeling that something wasn't right.

It wasn't...

He went over the bars and face first in to a root that did a number on his face. Once he made it out and I saw the injury, we rode back together to the parking lot, as I was watching him for signs of shock.

Once it was clear he wasn't going in to shock and wasn't showing signs of a concussion, I asked him, "What's your favor emergency room?" We made the 1 hour drive back to our side of town to get him patched up. He did fine and recovered no problemo.

I did make the point when we started the ride that at any time he felt the trail was to tough or he was in over his riding skill, to dismount and walk. He didn't and got injured.

I learned a long time ago during a MTB race that hopping off of the bike and doing whatever it takes to get over/under/past the obstacle is just fine if it keeps you safe, uninjured and in the race/ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My take on qualifier at Vortex. Before it was reconfigured (lowered a bit) I had an incident. Being a new rider I cleared it one way but on the way out I slowed at the peak , looked left and yup went off at the top. Result was a 3rd degree shoulder separation.

To this day although my skills are much improved I walk over the qualifier. It is clearly a head thing. I walk both the qualifier and the wooden bridge at entrance to Vortex trail. However no issues riding Vortex, John Brown etc.

My injury has made me gun shy. It is really odd. Even the small elevated beam at the trailhead parking lot creeps me out. I can ride it but my head does not like it.

It's odd. If you put a 6 inch wide piece of plywood on the ground I can ride it all day long and stay on the wood. After my incident at Vortex put me on a 3 foot wide bridge a foot off the ground and I get a bit freaked out.

Anyway I can ride the bridge on Nayl's finally.

The bridge at beginning of Ern and Burn is just not for me although it is plenty wide.

So in short qualifiers are a good thing if you use them to gauge your ability. On the other hand once I'm past the qualifier at Vortex I can ride lots of the stuff in the pit.

Re: lawsuits. I hate them. Area was properly marked and the Greenway gave you a qualifier. You get hurt your own problem. I would never have thought of filing a lawsuit over my injury. I read the sign but proceeded anyway. My bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2