cowbell

Where to ride in Pensacola

I'm looking at visiting a friend in Pensacola this summer, and looking for riding advice while there. I found a thread from 2006 pointing to the bike club there, and noticed two trail systems on their website (Pensacola Off-Road Cyclists - PORC - porc.org), but not a whole lot of description. So, what's good in that area? What bike should I bring, my rigid SS, or my full squish geared bike? If the trails are mostly flat and fast, but rooty, I'd rather have the full squish, if they're smooth, I'd take a shot at the SS. Also, if my friend (who is much shorter than me) wanted to join in, is there a place that rents bikes there? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    PORC trail maps are still good. I still have never riden the blackwater trails. The UWF trails are smooth. The SS would probably work great there. There is no place to rent a bike in the area. But you could bring both and have your buddy ride the geared bike.

Here is a Strava activity That covers almost all the trails out there.
    UWF Trail Ride

cowbell
    Thanks for the info Nazgul - I'm not sure my friend could ride either of my bikes though - I'm 6'3" and he's really much shorter than me. I may take both bikes just to let him try it out though. I wonder if the PNAS MWR rents bikes like the one here at Ft. Campbell? I'll look into that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I rode the trails at UWF last June when I was on vacation for a couple of weeks. It's a great trail. I brought my SS rigid 29er and had no problems. While a couple of the more root filled stretches had me wishing I had my Reba installed, the overwhelming majority of the trail was fast and flowy. You will have fun with whichever bike you choose to bring.

cowbell
    Thanks for the info Jstrat, how much trail had lots of roots on it? I'm ok with some, but if it's a lot, I'll take the FS bike, especially if the trails are mostly faster trails. My SS is set up for steeper more technical trails, mostly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There were two small stretches that were pretty rooted. I remember those beat me up pretty good on my Karate Monkey, but the rest was a blast. I certainly wouldn't classify UWF as steep. I'm looking forward to hitting it again this summer when we head back down in mid-June.

mtbr member

What is this trail like in January? I have a few days of vacation coming up and might go visit my brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Slow
    The trails at UWF are great year round. They dry up pretty fast too.

If you're in the Pensacola area UWF is the best trail in the area, also there is another 12 miles of trail on the other side of the road if you want to ride even more.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    The trails at UWF are great year round. They dry up pretty fast too.

If you're in the Pensacola area UWF is the best trail in the area, also there is another 12 miles of trail on the other side of the road if you want to ride even more.
    Thanks! If I can get down there it will be this next weekend for a few days.

mtbr member

Planning to check it out today. We rode at Pine Log State Forrest north of Pamama City Beach yesterday. It was a cool trail, but very tight single track because everything has grown up. My wife and I got slapped in the face by nature a few times.