mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Where to ride outside Chattanoga?

I've heard there is good single track outside Chattvegas. Any pointers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    check the chattanooga bike club web page...

http://www.chattbike.com/maps_cues/mapscues.htm

white boy extraordinaire

I"m by no mean local or an expert...

But Ocoee/Tanasi area by the WWC is excellent riding, there are routes on www.chattbike.com. This is some of the best roller coaster riding I've done and the trails are in excellent condition

Chilhowee Mtn is pretty decent too.

There is also some riding in NWGA too, but I'm not sure of the exact locations, Snake Den Gap?
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by k2razor
    I've heard there is good single track outside Chattvegas. Any pointers?
    Check out Sewanee and Franklin State Forest, west of Chatt. close to S. Pittsburg. Alot of sweet single track.

Steve

Appalachian Singletrack'n

Do you like it rocky and technical?

Just off the interstate in Dalton GA is the Pinhoti trail. Its probably 20 min. from downtown Chattanooga. Its one of the most technical XC trails in the south. Check the trails review section of MTBR for details.

mtbr member
    Excellent resource:
    http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php

Chilhowee & Tanasi are great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There is just not that much riding right around Chattanooga. All that land, all that green, and so few legal trails. If you only have time for a short drive, check out the trails on Signal Mtn- you can wind around all day and never hit the same thing.

If you have 45 minutes or so to spend in a car, I would check out Iron Mountain, Sumac Creek, Wendy Gap, etc.

Alot of people rave about the Ocoee and Chillhowee trails- about 45 in from Chatt. Both areas are loaded with rolling, tight singletrack.Chillhowee definately gets the nod if you are looking for more of a challenging terrain, as the Ocoee is extremely groomed and, IMO, just too manicured. Some guys from the Chatt Sorba group do some really good work at Chillhowee.

If you like tech trail, as was previously stated, head to Dalton and ride the Pinhotti; very, very fun trail that will keep your tech skills sharp. Also, check out Pigeon Mountain in Lafeyette, and the trails up by South Pittsburgh.

Good luck,
    Chip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    There is just not that much riding right around Chattanooga.
    Huh?

Edwards Point, BookerT, Harrison Bay, Lula Lake, Stringers Ridge, Prentice Cooper

Not commenting on the quality of these trails. Just saying that if you want to get some
    dirt under your tires, there's lot's of options that are relatively close..

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by justridinalong
    Huh?

Edwards Point, BookerT, Harrison Bay, Lula Lake, Stringers Ridge, Prentice Cooper

Not commenting on the quality of these trails. Just saying that if you want to get some
    dirt under your tires, there's lot's of options that are relatively close..
    If you call that alot of options you need to get a little more exposure. Of the trails you mentioned, Edwards Point is good, as are parts of Prentice Cooper (if you don't get mowed down by an ATV). Lula Luke is a nice area, but the trails are limited. Stringers ridge is in sad shape, has very limited trails, and is littered with trash. Booker T and Harrison Bay? Come on now, Harrison Bay might as well be paved and Booker T is a short section of trails carved out of frequent flooding river bottom.

The fact is, Chattanooga is a great city but has very limited mountain biking trails- especially when you consider the amount of green space surrounding it. Further, if you areything beyond the most nove of rider you are, for the most part, going to have to drive to get to good trails. Alot of people are doing alot of work to improve the situation, but currently that's the way it is.

mtbr member
    To each his own. That's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
    All I'm saying is that 6 places to ride within a 30 min drive of downtown is not bad. Like I said, not commenting on trail quality, my level of exposure, or a person's individual ability.
    I just think that people in this area are a little spoiled and take for granted the options that are around us. Some people in other areas would kill to have that option.

Opinions are like armpits. Everybody has 2 & sometimes they stink.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just have to disagree with you about mountain bikers in this area being spoiled. There is a reason the mountain biking community in Chattanooga is relatively small (especially when you consider the number of roadies), and much of it has to do with limited trail resources and inconvenience of available trails.

Unfortunatley, it's a catch 22. Since riding areas are limited, the incentive to ride is limited. Because of that, the mountain bike community fails to grow. If the mountain bike community doesn't grow, they gain no additional lobbying power and new trail systems never get the support they need to be made legal. Even Atlanta, as terrible as it may be, has more and better riding destinations within a short drive of downtown. Why? More riders, more voices, more power to make it happen. I'll take it even further, not only is it difficult to get access to new riding areas around Chattanooga, it is difficult to maintain access to existing trails.

Yes, maybe I am spoiled. But, I have been riding for a well over a decade, lived all over the US, and rode all over the world. I feel pretty confident in saying that we, as mountain bikers, do not (or are not allowed to) make use of the lands potential.

You see it for what it is and are happy. I see it for what it could be and am dissatisfied. I envy you.

mtbr member
    Wow! That was beautiful. I think I cried a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

maybe so

Actually, I am from Atlanta and I cannot think of six rides around here. I could say I was spoiled living on the pennisula of WA, but riding by yourself had the potential to make you lunch. An old biking buddy, who now resides in Nashville, heard you had good trails in Chattsvegas and suggested meeting for some rides this spring and summer.
    So, since I drive up to Blue Ridge or Dalonega to ride anyway it sounded good. Good riding somewhere in the region is what we are looking for. And he picked some 20 mile trail listed as difficult+ on your website as the first destination.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    JRA: Glad I could touch your softer side.

mtbr member

Your from the Penninsula???

So am I. Now I'm living in north Georgia. Where on the Penninsula are you from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    If you call that alot of options you need to get a little more exposure. Of the trails you mentioned, Edwards Point is good, as are parts of Prentice Cooper (if you don't get mowed down by an ATV). Lula Luke is a nice area, but the trails are limited. Stringers ridge is in sad shape, has very limited trails, and is littered with trash. Booker T and Harrison Bay? Come on now, Harrison Bay might as well be paved and Booker T is a short section of trails carved out of frequent flooding river bottom.

The fact is, Chattanooga is a great city but has very limited mountain biking trails- especially when you consider the amount of green space surrounding it. Further, if you areything beyond the most nove of rider you are, for the most part, going to have to drive to get to good trails. Alot of people are doing alot of work to improve the situation, but currently that's the way it is.

You must not be getting my emails. I send out SORBA Chattanooga announcements all he time and have most recently been updating progress at Booker T. We've added a mile of new trail and completed a full 4.25 outer loop section now. It's in great shape and several SORBA and Scenic City Velo members are riding it weekly on Thursdays.

SORBA is looking to expand further and the plan is to get no less than 6 miles at Booker T and to reroute and reword the issues it has had in the past. You will find things changing for the better at Booker T for the next year.

Raccoon Mtn is coming along as well. This would be a great time to mention if you want more trail we have the access and the permission it is just going slow due to lack of people helping us dig.

Also to comment on trails as the orignial postert. Honestly I think Lula Lake is great trails even if thy aren't 24" wide. Booker T is my newest ride of the week and with he new trail in existance you can easily do 3 laps at 4.25 miles a lap after work and before dark. Harrison bay is only fun if you are going

Chilhowee gets my nod too and if you want a lung buster with super fast down hills and jumps go to the Bear Creek/Pinhoti ride. That is my new 1 hour drive destination of choice. The Pinhoti on the Dalton side is hardly fun it ieasy the rockiest trail in the southeast. I never have enjoyed that trail.

If anyone is in Chattanooga and wants to get trail and mountain bike news emails shoot me an email and I'll add you to the list. No need to be a member of anything except the interested mountain bikers association trey@itrca.com

Trey
    2006 SORBA Chattanooga President

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Trey,
    You guys do an outstanding job and put in alot of hard work to improve trails around Chattanooga. No, I don't get your e-mails, but I am aware of what's going on. I hear great things are happening on Raccoon Mountain.

I think my original post may have been misinterpreted. It wasn't my intention to say Chattanooga was a bad city for mountain biking, but more to point out that it has the potential to be a great city. To put it in perspective, the next time you are at Edwards point take the time to really comprehend the vast amounts of greenspace the surrounds Chattanooga. There could be trails there. In fact, there are countless existing trails already there...but mountian bikes are not allowed.

It's the same way in the Cherrokee National Forest, Cohutta's, and so on. This could be an absolute mountain biking mecca...and the trails are, for the most part, already there! Maybe I am spoiled from being out west where mountain biking has become a more accepted user of public lands, but it frustrates me to hike some of these trails and realize just how amazing they could be on two wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wasn't really disagreeing with you Chip just noting that things are changing. SORBA has turned a corner in Chattanooga and trail is starting to happen. Look for 10 miles at Raccoon Mtn, 7 Miles at Entreprise South and 6-7 Miles at Booker T in the next 2-3 years. Then wait for phase 2 of Racoon Mtn. Edwards Point is sort of considered a waste of time due toATV's damaging trails. Prentice Cooper is open to logging and potential loss of trails so it's a lower priority.

We will have an IMBA trail Care Crew here April 6-9 and hoping to open the John Smart trail that wil connect the upper and lower truck trails on lookout.

That all said please everyone go ride the new section at Booker T and give me feedback. It's by no means done but look at it for it's potential.

Trey

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Trey,
    when you say enterprise south, are you talking about the land around the munitions dump that was donated to various organizations around Chattanooga? If so, I was out there a while back and there looking at UTC's portion and was blown away by that place (unintentional pun, he he). That place could really have some great riding.

I also spoke to Zach, at River City, and said you were incorporating some more advanced, natural stunts on the Raccoon Mtn trails? Man, that sounds really good. If I can ever get time to dust off my mtn bike and actually ride I would love to get up there and check it out.

Finally, any truth that there might be some trails up by the hanglider area? I keep hearing rumors but have yet to investigate.
    -Chip

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Enterprise South = VAAP Site = Munititon Plant so you have the right place. We have been told to expect about 7 miles of trails there. SORBA is working with Outdoor Chattanooga to have a trail building machine by the time that land is available so we can get those trails in there as quickly as possible.

Zach is correct from what I am hearing about Raccoon Mtn. I have been doing so much work at Booker T that others have been handling RM design. Everything I have heard is expect lots of cool natural features ad advanced routes. We should be having a big work day up there around April 9/10

There is truth in that rumor. Lewis Chapel is the name of the trail. It is privae land that the owners don't mind people riding on (Much like some of Edwards Point). We don't advertise it since it isn't public land but it is about time for our annual ride up there. Send me an email to trey at itrca.com and I will add you to my announcements email list. Keep an eye on the calendar for a Lewis Chapel ride too.

We hav a meeting tomorrow night at Fox and the Hound around 6:30 if you want to drop by.

Trey

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    The Pinhoti on the Dalton side is hardly fun it ieasy the rockiest trail in the southeast. I never have enjoyed that trail.

Trey
    2006 SORBA Chattanooga President
    To each his own, That stretch of Pinhoti is probably my favorite thing to ride in this part of the county. Since I learned about this trail my trips to Pisgah have cut in half.

Living just up the road in Knoxville I have never heard much about a MTB scene in Chatt. Iíve done a good bit of road riding and paddling in the area but had no idea about trails near town. I'm in Chatt. allot and will have to investigate the opportunities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Dalton Pinhoti is definitely a love it or hate it trail and definitely the rockiest trail I've ever seen. I have to say the Pinhoti at Bear Creek is one of my favorite sections of the Pinhoti.

Keep checking back as CHattanooga should have a lot of opportunity to ride near downtown very soon. We are working hard to get things rolling down here so that Chattanooga will become a destination city for Mountain Biking. Cross your fingers

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Endo- I hear you have some good trail up near Knoxville, too. I keep meaning to get up there and give Windrock a try.

I also like the Pinhotti out of Dalton, but haven't made it down there in a while. Also, there are some trails coming off Pigeon mtn in Lafeyette that are along the same technical vein (Pigeon has one DH that is far, far more technical than any other I've seen in this area...horses and errosion can do that).
    If you haven't already, try Sumac Creek & Iron Mountain in the Cohutta's, as well as the trails Asahi mentioned. If you like Pisgah you will like those.

Also, for fun tech riding there are some lesser riden trails up near Edwards piont that will keep your attention. Those are my personal favorites right now.

Good luck!