mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Where to Ride in Georgia

I got tired of my buddies "planning" to ride places so I got pissed and demanded that we stop talking about a road trip and actually do it. They all agreed, on Georgia. I don't know anywhere to ride in GA. We're looking at the the beginning of November and we want to camp out. So I need something that we could ride for two days near a campground (and hopefully warm). Any suggestions??

mtbr member
    Fort Mountain near Chatsworth
    Aska Trails Area near Blue Ridge
    Carter's Lake in Ellijay
    Bull/Jake Mountain Area in Dahlonega
    Arrohead Park in Macon
    Helen/Unicoi Trails in Helen

See http://www.georgia.org/tourism/bikin...es_offroad.asp for information on most. There are descriptions in MTBRs trail section as well.

The only guarantee I can make on the weather in GA during November is that if you don't like it, give it a couple days and it will change!

paintbucket
    Isn't there a campground up near the middle of Snake Creek Gap? I could see an out and back one way one day, followed by an out and back the other way the next day.

And to the OP, why are you relying on your buddies for a road trip? Pack the car and go already. Then smack talk the chumps for all they missed later.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Carebear how could you forget Bear Creek? Theres a campground, Lots of trails, (bear creek, pinhoti, windy gap, mountaintown) and a great bike shop nearby. Get the info here: http://www.cartecaybikes.com and here too: http://sorba.org/index.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If they are going beginning of Nov guys why not send them to the SORBA OMBA Festival at Dauset Nove 12-13? Duaset has great trails and at a Festival there should be guided rides so you get to ride without getting lost.

If you go Pinhoti stay off Dug Gap that is barely a hiking trail.

I'd say Heritage Park would be a good place to go but not sure there is enough mileage to warrant a road trip.

If you want to call Tanasi "Close to GA" you could get tons of riding there and camp at Thunder Rock Campgrounds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Ga riding

If you want the best GA has to offer Bear creek is definately the spot.

Mt Town and windy gap (I rate as one of the best downhill runs in GA) are the two of the top epics in GA.

Bear Creek and pinhoti are rite at the camp ground and are killer night rides and usualy unafected by weather.

Fort Mt is 10 - 15 min away and has one of the steepest downhill I've come accross in GA and has a death march out of the valley.

Stanley gap in Blue ridge is also only 10 - 15 min away and when rode with the Aska Rd trail makes for a verry hard 14+ mile think strait up strait down, strait up strait down then repeat.

Mike and Charlie at Cartecay bike in Ellijay will sort you out with all the information you need. Charlie is currently taking cate of Bear creek and MT Town and has been known to joing traveling groups on his day off (Sunday) to show them the best of the trails.

Enjoy it's some great riding.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    If you go Pinhoti stay off Dug Gap that is barely a hiking trail.

hmmmmmmmmm. some would say that they enjoy the challenge. And - that last downhill heading towards Snake gap is AWESOME. -

Note to the original poster - Asahi is talking about the pinhoti section from Dug gap to snake gap near Dalton - very rocky. (some might even go so far as to call it fun....) The pihoti sections near bear creek are not so rocky or technical.

it is rocky though...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Al.; 10-14-2005 at 06:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    Carebear how could you forget Bear Creek? Theres a campground, Lots of trails, (bear creek, pinhoti, windy gap, mountaintown) and a great bike shop nearby. Get the info here: http://www.cartecaybikes.com and here too: http://sorba.org/index.php

Sorry Al.! Bear Creek/Pihoti are almost one in the same for me.

I've actually never done Mountaintown Creek. Does LOFA have plans to ride there any time soon?

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear
    Sorry Al.! Bear Creek/Pihoti are almost one in the same for me.

I've actually never done Mountaintown Creek. Does LOFA have plans to ride there any time soon?

nothing planned for mountaintown that i know of, but i'll let you know if i hear anything or if any plans pop up. we were going to ride it last month til we heard about the trees down in lots of places. We rode the pinhoti instead. You know they will be working on mtntown on the 22. There is a thread about it on the SORBA site, which you have probably seen.

mtbr member
    nothing planned for mountaintown that i know of, but i'll let you know if i hear anything or if any plans pop up. we were going to ride it last month til we heard about the trees down in lots of places. We rode the pinhoti instead. You know they will be working on mtntown on the 22. There is a thread about it on the SORBA site, which you have probably seen.

Yeah! At Pisgah and 24HOA, James was trying to talk me into coming up and helping them. Flatfender and I are considering it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmmmmmmmmm. some would say that they enjoy the challenge. And - that last downhill heading towards Snake gap is AWESOME. -

Note to the original poster - Asahi is talking about the pinhoti section from Dug gap to snake gap near Dalton - very rocky. (some might even go so far as to call it fun....) The pihoti sections near bear creek are not so rocky or technical.

it is rocky though...
    It is a 6 mile rock garden. And on an Aluminum hardtail it sucks. THe FS guys seems to enjoy it more. I like technical challenges like Blood Rock at Oak Mountain but this trail has no flow and goes on and on and on and on and on and . . .

I have heard good stuff about other sactions of the Pinoti though and one day I may actually get to ride them.