Where is my mind?

What's Windrock, in TN, like?

I'm putting together a trip itinerary for memorial day and I wanted to see what riding is like at Windrock. According to the reviews it can be very steep and rocky. What I'd like to know is if its Downhill style of riding or is it doable on a 5" or 4" travel bike.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Jackalope Hunter
    Windrock is best known for its killer DH and yes, its burly... But I think there's good XC there too. There are definitely trails there that you wouldn't want to run on an XC/AM rig.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

thats right living legend
    That's pretty cool if there are XC trails there, though I've never heard that? From the people I've spoken to that have ridden there it's pretty much full on FR, with most/many people running dual crown forks, and 8" travel?... Think 20-40' hucks, or some such nonsense

That place will kill you.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

mtbr member
    You can cross country ride there but it is a lot of fire road. The bike trails are downhill and pretty extreme. If you are skilled you can manage some of them on a 6 inch but a dh rig is preferred. There are commonly shuttles on the weekend but don't just show up and expect to catch one, have something prepared before you get there. They are also building a new cross country section not far from WR. I rode it the other night and it is the most technical singletrack I have ever ridden and is very steep to climb. Only about 3 miles now but they are planning to have 6 by Memorial day. It is an out and back. Check out ridemonkey south forums for more details.

Its got what plants crave
    I want to attempt to ride it on my Coiler one of these days. I hope to get up there sometime soon, there was talk of going there this summer.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpCane
    You can cross country ride there but it is a lot of fire road. The bike trails are downhill and pretty extreme. If you are skilled you can manage some of them on a 6 inch but a dh rig is preferred. There are commonly shuttles on the weekend but don't just show up and expect to catch one, have something prepared before you get there. They are also building a new cross country section not far from WR. I rode it the other night and it is the most technical singletrack I have ever ridden and is very steep to climb. Only about 3 miles now but they are planning to have 6 by Memorial day. It is an out and back. Check out ridemonkey south forums for more details.
    Thanks! Not sure if we'll keep this on the roster. I don't think any of us are jumpers, but if the XC trails get developed maybe.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Wind Rock Video

Go to the Southern Discomfort website, click on videos, then Windrock.

http://www.southerndiscomfort.net/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    this is a review from a guy from maine who rode at windrock a few weeks ago.
    http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthr...=windrock+gnar

the #1 Stunna'
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Shreddz

i am in that looks sweet

and they have done a lot of work since last time i was at snowshoe.....Looks like it is time to take another trip
    I has Bikes

Snowshoe is definitely on my list. I'm hoping to suck less by the time I get up there.

Very Wildery
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Shreddz

My bike, which is sitting in the corner of my room, broke when I watched this video. Looks sick.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Ernie,

Go to Pisgah. You've never been there and it should be right up your alley.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Ernie,

Go to Pisgah. You've never been there and it should be right up your alley.
    I've been to Bent Creek, but Obviously there's a lot of other stuff thats worth riding.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Man, those shots/vids make me miss TN! Raised there and glad to see people putting that wonderful terrain to use!

From the vids, I would say that if you are running a sturdy 6" bike you could handle all of that. You would be hanging on for portions....I thought I had seen some bigger stuff posted than what was in the vid - maybe that is the newer stuff?

Anyways, hope to make it up there from TX sometime.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    I've been to Bent Creek, but Obviously there's a lot of other stuff thats worth riding.
    Yeah technically Bent Creek is in Pisgah, but I'm referring to the Brevard are and DuPont. If you guys (I am assuming this is a DD trip) are going to go somewhere stay in Brevard. It is the best. You've done N Ga and parts of TN so now its time for the best.

Werd, Black Mountain and Bennett Gap are rights of passage.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Bennett didn't really impress me. I like Black Mountain and Pilot a lot better. Maybe that's because I rode Bennett in 45 degree rain, and the others on a glorious day.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    When is memorial day? If you go to NC I may want in on this xtreme shreddage. I know the trails and stuff.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    When is memorial day? If you go to NC I may want in on this xtreme shreddage. I know the trails and stuff.
    Yeah! Post #1000.

Not sure if the DD's are up for it, but Clint and the guys (from the Rock Trail) are heading off to NC memorial day weekend (camping at Bent Creek). I haven't decided, but I'm about ready to join them. I'll forward you the email. The plan is to arrive in Ashville on May 23, returning to Gainesville on the 26th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The bike trails that most people associate with Windrock arethe DH trails. The can and have been ridden on 6" bikes, but unless you are accustom to that it might not be much fun. We are working very hard to maximize the terrain Coal Creek (owners of Windrock) has offered us to build bike trails in. As pimpcane suggested there is a new piece of single track close to the DH trails. We only have about 4-5 miles done now, so its not a reason to come here just yet. But with 70,000+ acres to work with we hope to have a total bike mecca very soon.