That's REEAAALLLL Nice

What's available in the Anniston to Atlanta corridor?

I'm currently in North Carolina where the trails are plentiful, but looks like I'm going to end up back in Carrollton, GA, where I've lived in the past. I wasn't a mtn biker back then so I'm looking for trails between Anniston and Atlanta. I have heard of Sweetwater, Clinton Preserve and McIntosh, which are in and around Douglasville and Carrollton, but I haven't ridden them yet. I know these probably aren't great trails, but I'm just looking for trails at this point - single track preferred. I know Anniston Coldwater Mtn is good and will ride it occasionally, but it's about an hour drive. I appreciate any input on the trails in / around Carrollton / Douglasville, even if they are slim pickings! Looking forward to hooking up with some locals in the area, too!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Cheaha is a fair trail just south of I20 a few miles on the alabama side of the border.

Also, you have Coleman Lake in Heflin AL. Its a horse trail, but its open to bikes. I wouldnt go out of your way to ride there.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Cheaha is a fair trail just south of I20 a few miles on the alabama side of the border.

Also, you have Coleman Lake in Heflin AL. Its a horse trail, but its open to bikes. I wouldnt go out of your way to ride there.
    Sheepo, how are you? Hey, I've heard rumblings about mtn bike trails near Mt Cheaha and have been on the Pinhoti quite a bit in and around that area. The mtn bike trails are totally separate trails, right? I've also hiked and camped near Coleman. I'll definitely give both of them a try ... at least once! Are you in Atlanta now?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
    Sheepo, how are you? Hey, I've heard rumblings about mtn bike trails near Mt Cheaha and have been on the Pinhoti quite a bit in and around that area. The mtn bike trails are totally separate trails, right? I've also hiked and camped near Coleman. I'll definitely give both of them a try ... at least once! Are you in Atlanta now?
    You are correct sir.
    The Pinhoti trail is open to bikes in GA, but not in Alabama... The MTB trails are located in the Cheaha State Park and rumor has it they have fallen onto the back burner in the past few years due to other projects... Last time I rode there(couple years ago) there were multiple trees blocking the trails. But the trail was still fun.

Yeah man, been in atlanta about 7 months taking it easy working for a shop in Buckhead.

Oh yeah, you mentioned Coldwater. SO FREAKING FUN. I was planning on riding there this sunday, but found myself getting stitches today from a dirtjump accident, so I may have to push that trip back another week.

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    You are correct sir.
    The Pinhoti trail is open to bikes in GA, but not in Alabama... The MTB trails are located in the Cheaha State Park and rumor has it they have fallen onto the back burner in the past few years due to other projects... Last time I rode there(couple years ago) there were multiple trees blocking the trails. But the trail was still fun.

Yeah man, been in atlanta about 7 months taking it easy working for a shop in Buckhead.

Oh yeah, you mentioned Coldwater. SO FREAKING FUN. I was planning on riding there this sunday, but found myself getting stitches today from a dirtjump accident, so I may have to push that trip back another week.
    Sorry to hear you took a spill, but it's just a matter of when and how hard, right. I'm looking forward to riding Coldwater, too. I'm sure it will become my destination spot, as I seek out trails from Carrollton. Which shop are you at?

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    Sheepo,
    Are you running only SingleSpeed nowadays? If so, what gearing do you typically run at Anniston Coldwater? I usually run 34x20 or 32x18.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Sheepo,
    Are you running only SingleSpeed nowadays? If so, what gearing do you typically run at Anniston Coldwater? I usually run 34x20 or 32x18.
    I am racing SS this season, and switch the all mountain bike back and forth when I get bored.

32x18 is a great gear for XC at coldwater. I prefer a 32x17 on my AM bike so I can rally on the descents.

You have to ride "Bomb Dog", "trillium", and "hare". Those are the best flowing trails out there. But I if you could swing it, I would suggest going out and riding the whole park.

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    You have to ride "Bomb Dog", "trillium", and "hare". Those are the best flowing trails out there. But I if you could swing it, I would suggest going out and riding the whole park.
    I found a pretty good map, I think. Check this out:

http://www.neaba.net/trails/CWM_Map_2.pdf

Does it look pretty much up-to-date?? I don't see Trillium and Hare.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I found a pretty good map, I think. Check this out:

http://www.neaba.net/trails/CWM_Map_2.pdf

Does it look pretty much up-to-date?? I don't see Trillium and Hare.
    That map is old. The trail system is constantly growing, so I guess its tough for them to keep updated maps. The map you posted was the origional loop with bomb dog. Now, trails have been built east to and from Anniston Al.

North East Alabama Bicycle Association - NEABA.NET - Cheaha Challenge - Chief Ladiga Trail

Try this interactive map on NEMBAs website. It should show you the newer anniston trails.