Poseur

What tires for Santos?

So, last Friday I finally made it out to Santos for the first time. It was fun, but one problem I was having was that my rear tire was slipping on the rocky climbs.

I currently have Kenda Excavators front and back, and they're great for Snowhill, my home trail. The knobs of these tires are great at digging into the soft sand we have, but there wasn't anything that loose in Santos and I think something with smaller knobs might hook up better on rock. I still have the Small Block 8's that came with the bike, I'm thinking of throwing one on the rear for next time. Thoughts on this combination? What are the locals running? FWIW, I'm on a 26er.

I'll probably be out again this Friday.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Maxxis Crossmarks grip pretty good on slicker rock but on rougher stuff Highroller's will do as well as Nevegal's. They will slow you down a bit but there is that trade off between grip and speed. I am sure others will pipe up here too. I ride Markham and Amelia a lot and have ridden Santos a fair bit and all the tires I used worked for me. YMMV though..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Hi There!
    I rode Santos last weekend for a couple days with Maxxis Crossmarks front and back and no slippage at all. I want to replace the front with something grippier but will wait til it's necessary. I'm on a 29er if that matters.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Santos reds are more slippery, just the nature of the trail/soil IMO and it may be more technique adjustment than tire change. If your tire pressure is above 30 psi, try lowering a bit. BTW, rode Snowhill yesterday (3 times this past month) and enjoy the diversity, especially ditch of doom.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I forgot to add that the Michelin 'Wild Gripper' tire on the front is excellent as well! I recently got this tire and it has amazing grip on muck and loose sand both.
    Just never rode Santos with this one...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Santos reds are more slippery, just the nature of the trail/soil IMO and it may be more technique adjustment than tire change.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I put the SB8 tire on the back and it was a bit better, then I tried downshifting and spinning more rather than mashing, and that made a much bigger difference. I know my skills can use some work. I managed to clear Sinkhole in both directions, but Vortex kicked my ass.

BTW, I got yelled at for going the wrong way on Twister, but I don't recall seeing any directional arrows. I started on the east end, heading west. I know Vortex is one-way (there are arrows marked on the map I picked up from the Santos bike shop), but I thought the rest is bi-directional. What other trails are one-way?

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right. I put the SB8 tire on the back and it was a bit better, then I tried downshifting and spinning more rather than mashing, and that made a much bigger difference. I know my skills can use some work. I managed to clear Sinkhole in both directions, but Vortex kicked my ass.

BTW, I got yelled at for going the wrong way on Twister, but I don't recall seeing any directional arrows. I started on the east end, heading west. I know Vortex is one-way (there are arrows marked on the map I picked up from the Santos bike shop), but I thought the rest is bi-directional. What other trails are one-way?
    i was told by the omba that only the reds are one way. unless something changed since then, you were not in the wrong.
    Last edited by thegweed; 07-28-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2005

Twister is definitely 2-way and if someone yelled, they were in the wrong, so no worries. I rode Santos yesterday and again this morning. Vortex full loop is the only one-direction trail and I rode it first time this morning. It definitely kicks butt and the climbs require effort and momentum / knowing the trail make a huge difference IMO.
    My Ikon 2.2 on rear has over 800 miles on it and knobs are just barely hanging on, but still did OK on the trail....new tire will be much better. On the blues' high-speed corners I did get some rear sliding, but only lost the rear a few times where I had to put a foot down.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So, last Friday I finally made it out to Santos for the first time. It was fun, but one problem I was having was that my rear tire was slipping on the rocky climbs.

I currently have Kenda Excavators front and back, and they're great for Snowhill, my home trail. The knobs of these tires are great at digging into the soft sand we have, but there wasn't anything that loose in Santos and I think something with smaller knobs might hook up better on rock. I still have the Small Block 8's that came with the bike, I'm thinking of throwing one on the rear for next time. Thoughts on this combination? What are the locals running? FWIW, I'm on a 26er.

I'll probably be out again this Friday.
    Hey next time your gonna make the trip let me know !
    I was at snowhill today had a blast but really want to go to santos and alafia as well

Poseur
    Sure, I'll post something next time I head out that way. I have Fridays off for the next few weeks, and have been using those days to hit up some other trails in the area. Won't be this week though, I'll be too busy with some work around the house. I also want to check out Alafia, Carter Road, and Mt. Dora.