mtbr member
    Nov 2005

What happened at Croom ?

Does anyone know if the Croom Challenge was held on Saturday? There was torrential rain the day before and morning of the event but no information on the SWAMP website, curious if the event was rescheduled. Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well,
    200 of the 250 riders that signed up (limit by Forestry dept) waited an extra hour, went off at 10 am.

Did it rain? On Hell yes!! Was there some mud? On hell yes!!

Was it fun? You betcha... after the first 8 miles or so where all the rain,water,mud and soft ground was.

BTW, 30 or the 35 workers showed up and did the SWAMP club proud.

SWAMP actually told everyone that they show take the 35 route due to time, it seems some people just went around all that red tape on the trail so they could do the complete 50. ( hope it was fun )

After the first sag at 12 miles, trails were 98% prime, with just some water in the and pits, that we were routed around.

To bad Sunday's, weather did not happen Sat.

Check the club site for a few comments

http://www.swampclub.org/croom35_50.htm

there will be pics eventually

Quote Originally Posted by judy s
    Does anyone know if the Croom Challenge was held on Saturday? There was torrential rain the day before and morning of the event but no information on the SWAMP website, curious if the event was rescheduled. Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I feel bad for the people that didn't show up. My brother and I had a great time. I got hit in the face with a few branches(no glasses due to the rain in the beginning), fell in one of the many water holes, and somehow still managed to take an hour and a half off my time from last year. Anyway, I'll be back next year rain or shine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, it was a blast. The trails in the first part flowed (with water) nicely.

It was a little wet until the first rest area but after that point it seemed like it hadn't even rained at all. We ducked the tape and rode the 50. During that stretch the winds starting blowing, the air dried out and the sun began to shine - I knew at that point we made the right choice... Nice ride once again !