Learner
    Aug 2010

What to do when there are NO trails!?!?!?

I live in Spring City, TN (yep we have 2 stoplights, the traintracks run right through the middle of the town on Front street, and a piggly wiggly). The closest trails are roughly an hour away.

We live in the country, but there are no "designated" trails less than an hour away. I'm not familiar enough with the woods around here to just venture out without a trail. There are hiking trails, but for a beginner like me, they are meant for hiking and I wouldn't dare take my ride on there yet!

Any suggestions for what I can to do ride - not on the road - without having to drive an hour? I really enjoy the sport, but geez, an hour everytime I have to ride? That sucks...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    if I picture it right its problably not the place to go roadie with full lycra. not much else you can do but to explore those woods or drive to the tail. sucks. if the hiking trail are on state/county property you could give them a call. just for hopes they might be multi-use trails but yield to the hikers.

Learner
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, I've hiked the public trails, and for a beginner like me there is no way I would attempt it. I would surely end up in the ER. Hmm...maybe I will just take my other half and explore. Thanks!

Jackalope Hunter

It could be worse!

Some of us live in Fl. Having to drive an hour or more for good trails is pretty much a given. Hell, i'd kill to have mountains (or even big hills) an hour away. Don't get me wrong, down here we make do pretty well... there are a few great trail systems, but they are all hours apart.

That said, do you have any friends with property they'd let you build on? Even a few acres is enough for a fun little loop. (I assume you don't have a bunch of land yourself or you might have been building trail already)

Good luck, hope you stick with it!
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how far is chattanooga from you
    fall creek falls,
    cant think of any more, but i think there got to be something out there.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What Jay said. I live in Jacksonville, FL. My closest trail is Hanna Park, which is about a 35 minute drive for me, and it's just a flat, beginner trail. I can drive for about 1.5 hours to go to San Felasco, which is much more like real mountain biking (for Florida....there are some good hills there), I can drive for about an hour to go to Graham Swamp (technical trail for Florida), I can drive just over an hour to go to Fort Clinch (never been there, but I might check it out), or I can drive for a couple hours to go to Santos.

But that's the way it is. It certainly doesn't stop me from mtn biking, but it does keep me from doing it very often.
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Rig
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There's a trail over in Athens.

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...ark-trail.html

I don't think that's an hour away from Spring City is it? Thought it might be about half an hour. Heck, it takes me 20 minutes to half an hour to get to some of the trails around here, so I don't think that's too bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Lots of land around Spring City. There's got to be something around (at least jeep roads or logging roads). You may need to search out who owns what and get permission, but I bet you'll find something if you try.

Of course, if you own some land, you could always build your own...

Learner
    Aug 2010
    My hubby has a jacked up little 4x4 that we take off roading, could probably go down some of those roads...I didn't think about that. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    you might have to just sell the bike cheap. What kind of bike are you selling?

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc

Look closely

Quote Originally Posted by PitBullSupporter
    There are hiking trails, but for a beginner like me, they are meant for hiking and I wouldn't dare take my ride on there yet!
    Might want to look for "equestrian' and horse trails. Many folks in Tennessee ride and there are a bunch of clubs and there are probably trails in your area. As long as you are respectful of the animals, you should have too much issue. There are probably a million fire roads you can ride on. As far as single track. Hiking trails are a crap shoot because they are usually too steep, but horse trails tend to be a mellow grade. I'm sure someone will say that you threaten access riding horse trails, but that more Oregon, CA, not Spring City. I'm sure if you are considerate to horsies you shouldn't have too much issue, such a small town, might not see anyone on trail all season on some of the trails...

http://www.trails.com/trail-black-mo...y-1277585.html

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by PitBullSupporter
    Yeah, I've hiked the public trails, and for a beginner like me there is no way I would attempt it. I would surely end up in the ER. Hmm...maybe I will just take my other half and explore. Thanks!
    If they are multi use trails, just start riding them. Walk what makes you uncomfortable and ride what you can. Get some elbow and knee pads and try a little more each time out. Before you know it you will be able to ride it all.
    Addicted to the Classifieds