mtbr member
    May 2013

West Delray Regional Park

I rode here today for the first time. I always ride Quiet Waters so this was a lot different from there. It started out fast and flowing ,but the middle section in the woods was full of roots, something I'm not used to at all.For a short trail it certainly was challenging and forced me to slow down and pick better lines than I usually do at QW. I like the change of pace and look forward to improving my slow speed skills. All in all a nice 2.5 ish mile course with shade and when I need a break I can ride over to the RC plane section and watch them fly the planes.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah it's a fun trail. Although it's not as thrilling as the big trails, it's great for working on your technical skills and balance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Where is this trail? (New to the area, so trying to get down the places to ride.)

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13 View Post
    Where is this trail? (New to the area, so trying to get down the places to ride.)
    It's at the West Delray Regional Park. If you have even close to intermediate experience I suggest other parks in the area, if only because at this point in time that trail is really short. What trails have you ridden in the area? Where are you located? Other good trails in SoFlo are Quiet Waters Park and Markham Park in Broward County and Amelia Earhart Park, Virginia Key Trail, and Oleta River State Park in Dade County.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks. I am in Parkland and brand new to the area from Arizona -- totally different kind of riding out here -- I am used to big climbs and lots of rocky chuck, with a big downhill payoff at the end. And SoCal before that.

I rode Quiet Waters on Saturday -- it was a blast.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Like thegweed said it's a short trail and some of the longer parks in the area might be better suited especially if your in Parkland. I checked it out since my daughter has classes in Delray for the next 3 months and it's a easy hop skip and jump while she's in class for me instead of going to QW.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13 View Post
    Thanks. I am in Parkland and brand new to the area from Arizona -- totally different kind of riding out here -- I am used to big climbs and lots of rocky chuck, with a big downhill payoff at the end. And SoCal before that.

I rode Quiet Waters on Saturday -- it was a blast.
    I would say Markham Park is the most difficult in the area, Amelia is slightly less difficult but fast and funner IMO and both are longer than QW if I'm not mistaken. Virginia Key is coming on strong. If you want to take a roadie of 3 hours or so then you can't go wrong with Alafia River, Balm Boyette, or Santos, all of those are real long and have a lot of variety. I believe Santos has over 60 miles of trails.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cilantro13, if you need some climbing, look up Dyer Hill in West Palm. With recent rains, it has some pretty good ruts right now and quite rocky (small rocks)....not what I normally like for speed, but might be interesting for you. Some videos on youtube are available. Markham and Oleta are the most technically and physically challenging, while Amelia, Virginia Key, Quiet Waters, Pinehurst are considered much easier, but all are different and fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Surfdog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Im going to west delray regional park for the first time tommorrow 9/29. I should be there around 9am. I was told that a group made some nice changes to the trail. Im anxious to try it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    just got back from riding west delray. Pretty fun course. A lot of elevation changes, and more technical than pinehurst. Some of it was a bit overwhelming to me as a beginner. I ate it on one part of the course, skinned up my elbow and bent a rim. But had fun, and will return!
    The course is closer to 3.5mi in length. My sensors showed 3.23 and the gps showed 3.19. Another rider out there today did the "advanced" path, and said he did 4.5mi.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yesterday I was not enjoying my ride there, rear derailleur was acting up mid way through my second lap and pretty much got my head out of it for the rest of my ride there. I have noticed that my slow speed skills are improving riding this course though, some of the sections in the woods are a bear for me.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I agree on the wooded sections. There's very little room for error. I kept getting pedal strike on the roots and such.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Have you ridden at Dyer Park? How does this trail compare to Dyer? I live about 10 minutes from Dyer and about 15 from Johnathan Dickinsons so I'm wondering if its worth driving to Delray!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Short, tight and roots with lots of little obstacles. If your looking for something different you might give Pinehurst a try first. It's closer and similar. If I was getting in my car to head south, I'd hit Markham, Oleta, Amelia or QW before Delray but it is a fun little trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: West Delray Regional Park

I never really gave this trail much thought until this weekend when I was at Alafia and Boyette and this group of riders from West Palm told me that it was actually a pretty good trail. Rode it today for the first time and I was totally impressed, back in the wooded section of the trail it reminded me of the old Kmart trails that used to be off Southern and 441. the Delray trails have plenty of sections to go as fast as you want and as soon as you get in the woods its just a cool technical trail that's labeled intermediate and expert, these trail builders did a incredible job building this trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I haven't been here in several weeks. I'll be there again Saturday . I really like riding this trail, I'll be glad to get back up there again. Riding in the wooded section is something I've really come to enjoy. Last few times I was there I had my HT with me but think I'll bring the FS this time.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Man! You guys got me wantin to check it out! Hopefully I can make it down there this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Been there for the first time in a few months. They've done a good job building it up some more. I'm still ticked the county made them take down the wood structures after that guy died but the guys who work the trails do a great job with what they have.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Rode here today for what seems to be the first time in a month.I did around 13 miles there, seems like some subtle changes were made on a section or two. I tried the advance course for the first time ( I rode part of it backwards awhile ago) I ended up walking a good percentage of it. I'm not a big fan of rock gardens at my current skill level. I 'm really beginning to like this course the more I ride it, to the point where I get more enjoyment riding here than at QW. Probably my last ride of the year, unless I brave the cold over the Christmas vacation in NY. Both of my bikes are overdue for tuneups.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I rode about 11 miles here today, first time in a few months it seems. Kudos to the guys maintaining and building the trails. The new drop feature added and the change made to the wooden bridge and alternate path added to it were nice. It was to long since I had been here.Anyone know if there will be a rebuilding effort along the canal?
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice thread for someone just getting into SoFL trail riding. Just picked up my bike last weekend and waiting on a pair of shoes. Once they get here I'll be hitting up Pinehurst for sure (I live 5 minutes away) and Dyer Park on the weekends. I'll add the others listed here for weekend trips.