mtbr member

Went to Amelia Earhart today.

wow! It is in way better conditions..it's got such a flow and very clean. The ants are still there just don't fall into the bushes or they'll get you. If you stay on your bike and avoid the low hanging leaves & branches then you'll be fine.

I practiced some of my jumps out there today..still learning anybody want to give me tips?

Check out something that I learned from doing jumps since I HAVE fallen so many times.
    There's a video too.

http://www.jeffzelaya.blogspot.com/
    You can follow my adventures on twitter @JeffZelaya

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzelaya
    I practiced some of my jumps out there today..still learning anybody want to give me tips?

Check out something that I learned from doing jumps since I HAVE fallen so many times.
    There's a video too.

http://www.jeffzelaya.blogspot.com/
    Nice crash bro! Nice videos, looks like you were having a lot of fun. Thats what it is all about.

Quick note:

One of the best tips for you bro is to gain more speed, preload as your getting ready to launch and pull the front up a bit more as you are launching. As you are coming down on a transition/landing (if you have one), kinda push the bike forward a bit to drop the nose to land both wheels down flat in a transition landing. If landing flat, avoid pushing the bike forward, and land on your back wheel first instead of both flat.

What was mentioned above will get you higher and farther. Try not to over shoot or under shoot your landings on gap jumps (doubles). Casing a gap jump or drop really hurts bro, and over shooting can hurt as well. Especially on a HT. Good luck bro!

mtbr member
    Thanks Chili!

I know that I can always count on you for good solid advice.

Also how should I set up my bike when doing jumps. I know to lower the seat but what about the front.

Should I lower the travel of my front suspension?
    What about using the pop loc?
    Should my grip be wide?

Thanks for your feedback Chili. It is always appreciated..especially with your background in Freeriding.

Loving more and more the air time when jumping.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzelaya
    I know that I can always count on you for good solid advice.
    LOL.....I don't know about the solid advise thing, but I try. Thanks bro!

How much travel do you have anyways? Though this does not really matter. I have 150mm all around travel on my FR bike and 180mm travel fork and 8" rear travel on my gravity bike, but I have it set for my body weight with a more snappy rebound because I do lot of big drops (flat & gaps). I am not too big on the jump lines, as I am more into the big drops and fast and furious DH, though I do jump. At 40, I have slowed down a bit on the bigger jumps. All the pop-loc does is lock out your fork suspension to give you a more rigid feel for basically XC riding, which is not necessary for jumping. Having a wider grip on the bars does help, as it gives you better control. That is the reason FR and DH bikes have wider bars like mine. I have 29'ers, but originally are 28'ers with 1/2" plugs in each end.

All of your DJ's have shorter travel because they are built for dirt jumping and not really for big drops, My gravity sled is not really for jumping, but designed and built for hucking big and DH, whereas my FR steed was designed for jumping and not for big hucking or DH. It can take some bigger drops, but not too big, and it can DH, but not too gnarly. Thats what my longer travel gravity sled is for. As per the seat being lowered, yeah, that does help a lot, especially on your manhood and with shifting your body back and forth.

What kind of adjustments do you have on your fork and what fork is it BTW?

TRANCER
    lol Great video man i watched your fall a few times and i cant really see for sure but did your front wheel slip? Or did you lose control when your front tire hit the ground?
    Ride

ChiliPepper1
    Whatz up Bio! Getting any good riding in bro?

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1
    Whatz up Bio! Getting any good riding in bro?
    Slowed down the last couple weeks due to a new job man. But it looks like it will start to pick up again in the next couple of weeks. Trying to plan a trip to Santos for New Years since im getting my boy a new bike for Christmas. No more BMX. Mountain Biking with dad & step mom is where its at But yeah i have been jonesing to ride more than i have been the past couple of weeks. I finally put the clips back on the Trance. So i cant wait to tear it up with em
    Ride

mtbr member
    It's a RS Tora 318 coil. It is adjustable from 85mm to 130mm. I have the rebound set about half way between the rabbit and turtle. I also leave it the fork unlocked when jumping although when locked the fork still maintains some travel. That are pretty much all the adjustments that I have on the bike.

ChiliPepper1
    Thats pretty cool Bio! I bet your son is stoked over that. Dude, you will really love Santos and it is totally different from your neck of the woods. I will be back up there in early March before the FTF for 5 days, then off to Paris Mountain, SC for a week for some real MTB'ing and of course, the DH for me. I wish I could join you to show you around, but even so, the trails are well marked and there is always someone to help you out bro.

Keep it real, ride hard, have fun, and ride on!

On-On

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    lol Great video man i watched your fall a few times and i cant really see for sure but did your front wheel slip? Or did you lose control when your front tire hit the ground?
    I was trying to figure it out too..but I feel like I lost some control of my handlebars on my way off the lip and then when landing I turned the front wheel slightly to the right.

and that's when...well you know how that ended. lol

ChiliPepper1
    The 130 setting is fine. I have a 130mm on my other bike and it handles the jumps just fine. The Tors was really not designed for big jumps but it will handle a lot of abuse. Great trail fork though. I had one of the original Tora forks, and I loved it. As per the lockout, just leave it alone for your jumping needs. Well, if you are ever in the Palm Bay/Melbourne area, we have a nice FR trail here we can hit. Good luck bro on your jumps, but maybe you should watch some of those tutorial videos of jumping all over the net. It wont hurt bro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have to agree with Chili, you needed more speed on those sections. The speed helps maintain your balance so you aren't having as much movement when you come off the jump. A clean launch generally results in a clean landing if you aren't trying anything fancy. Carry speed and pull up off the lip, enjoy the air and stick the landing, repeat...

ChiliPepper1
    Hey Jeff, I finally got some more time to look at that video where you wiped out. The first thing I noticed was no speed and when you launched, you and your bike immediately were leaning to your right and when the bike landed, it washed out as your body lunged forward to your right. It was like watching a very slow motion picture, Got to get some more speed going for you, but do not over do it either or you will be not be able to recover for the next one. One of those pics you jumped it and landed it good, but a bit more speed would of made it even more fun. Best advise is to keep working on them with more speed, preload, picking up on the front while launching, and then get back a tad and find that center of gravity and from then on it all becomes a whole lot of fun. Good luck bro!

I'm sure someone else will chime in here to help you out or mention something I may have forgot to mention.