Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wekiva Springs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Wekiva Springs?

Hello, just wanted to ask if anyone has ridden the mtb trails over at the Wekiva Springs State Park? A friend and I went there last Thursday and had a blast. We ended up riding 14 miles on and off the dedicated bike loop and there was a lot of different terrain and wildlife to encounter. I had read reviews of some who have been out there and complained that there was too much sugar sand but after finally going out there I see that they must have either been way out of shape or had the wrong bike for the trails. The sand is easily avoided by just riding on the leaves and pine needles just beside it. It does cost $3.00 per person to enter the park but the money goes to the Park for maintenance and after your ride, you can go over to the "springs" to cool off in the swimming hole. We are going back tomorrow morning and I plan to take some pictures so I can do a proper review of the trail. Thanks!
    Last edited by dvdslw; 07-28-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good to hear that. I just got my bike delivered yesterday and planned on checking that trail later in the week. I can easily ride from my house to the park. I believe you can get a yearly pass to the park as well.

XXIX
    Rumor is they my be looking to get involved with IMBA to expand the trail system there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We rode Wekiva again yesterday and it was totally different after the big rain we got on Sunday in a good way. Everything was packed down a bit more and there was some nice mud to blast through. I wanted to take some pics but we went out there late in the day and never stopped riding. We also encountered a pack of deer that ran in front of us on the trail which startled us but was pretty cool. Only gripe I have is the cypress knee roots in the swampy section. Last ride one of my pedals got caught on them and I ended up wrecking, and my riding partner wrecked there yesterday. Thinking about trimming a couple down but not sure if that's frowned upon? Other than that, good riding!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I wouldn't trim the cypress knees, just learn to ride through them. Time your pedal strokes ect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Probably a good idea, maybe we'll spend a little more time in that section and look for a line around them? Now that I think about it, there's some tall grass that hides the roots so maybe just trimming the grass down in the bad spot would do the trick?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We are working on creating a central florida IMBA chapter very soon. Wakiva has another property off of Markham Rd (Cross Seminole trailhead) that they have dedicated to mountain biking. We are working with the land manager now to get 7 miles of trails open. We are waiting on environmental, historic to ok it. It's will be a great dedicated area. We have an easy 6 mile section that we will be adding later that will be pretty unique.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gregon2whls View Post
    We are working on creating a central florida IMBA chapter very soon. Wakiva has another property off of Markham Rd (Cross Seminole trailhead) that they have dedicated to mountain biking. We are working with the land manager now to get 7 miles of trails open. We are waiting on environmental, historic to ok it. It's will be a great dedicated area. We have an easy 6 mile section that we will be adding later that will be pretty unique.
    That would be awesome! Please keep me/us up to date on the progress and if any help is needed at all like manual labor, petitions, etc... just pm me, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Don't cut roots, or clear grass, or move rocks - unless you're part of the work crew that looks after trails in your area. You're not going to make many friends if you go out there once or twice and decide the conditions need to be made easier.
    Just some friendly advice :-)
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryGXNZ View Post
    Don't cut roots, or clear grass, or move rocks - unless you're part of the work crew that looks after trails in your area. You're not going to make many friends if you go out there once or twice and decide the conditions need to be made easier.
    Just some friendly advice :-)
    Cheers
    Barry
    Yeah, that's the feeling I'm getting too. I will leave it be and just adjust my riding. Thanks!

DILLIGAF
    I am pretty sure the section you are referring to is a hiking only trail.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you won't be doing anything as foolish as modifying the trail. +1 to what everyone said above: modification of the trail is illegal and definitely not welcome or necessary. I ride Wekiwa all the time on training rides, and those cypress knees on the bike trail between markers 18 and 19 are a fun bit of tech. Sorry you caught a pedal, it happens. There are a few very tight squeezes there, but keeping riding it and soon you'll be flying through there. Oh, and if you think it's tricky now, wait until the rainy season when that whole section is under water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    I am pretty sure the section you are referring to is a hiking only trail.
    It's about 6/7mi in on the bike section (marked with red paint) just over a fire road where you enter the narrow section. The roots are right where you cross the creeks & muddy section coming up the hill. Its easy to pass this section of the bike trail because you have to be looking for the 4x4 post with red/green/white paint on the left as you're haulin ass down the fire road. If you miss the entrance, the road brings you around to the exit. Its my understanding that red=bike, green=horse, & white=hike? As far as the pedals go, I'm looking at some smaller units. I have some rather large platforms on there now and it seems my next logical step is to try some nice spd pedals and shoes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes that's it. Rode the red loop this morning. Got through the cypress knots without incident but can see them very easily catching a pedal. That section is about the halfway point and is were I will turn around and return the same way instead of completing the loop. The second half is a boring, wide open, sandy 3-4 mile stretch of jeep trail.
    Was a very nice cool morning with deer, rabbits and turkey all around. Saw a few guys heading out as I was returning to the car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I personaly like the second half of the trail after the knotty section. There's a mix of sand, hills, couple sink holes to check out, and some hard packed trails to haul ass down. We will be there tomorrow morning around 9:00, and plan to make 2 complete loops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I ran it clockwise or west then north from the Sand Lake parking area. Marker 32 to 10 then 10 back around to 33. I believe 19 is just past the cypress knots. The ride from there to camp Cozy is fine but the last leg back to 33 is uninspiring to me anyway.
    There is also a trail from the first kiosk at the springs parking area that you can take out to the start of the trail at Sand Lake. I'll try that next.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just a FYI- Wekiva is doing a controlled burn today 5-8-13 on the bike trail from marker 12 North. Plenty of other riding options, we got in 12.5 miles this morning. Ranger said it should be opened up by tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttrs View Post
    Just a FYI- Wekiva is doing a controlled burn today 5-8-13 on the bike trail from marker 12 North. Plenty of other riding options, we got in 12.5 miles this morning. Ranger said it should be opened up by tomorrow morning.
    I hope so, we're heading out there now. If not we'll go out to Soldiers Creek.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We ended up riding Wekiva today and there was a section still closed due to hot spots and falling trees but we just went around by way of the fire roads and had a blast. Nothing real technical out there but a nice ride. We did however finally explore a small sinkhole that we have passed many times and ended up spending about a half hour just going in and out of it. The best part of the day was me wrecking on a pine cone! Those little bastards are dangerous, it was like a slow motion wreck. My riding partner is still giving me a hard time about that one!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Heading there early tomorrow, again!

mtbr member

Re: Wekiva Springs?

Has anyone created a segment on strava for this place?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    There are about 10 Strava MTB segments at Wekiwa.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    After what seems like a long wait thanks to work and having the kids (summer break), we're finally heading back out to Wekiva tomorrow morning. Haven't been out there for about a month so I don't know what to expect in the wet areas but I'm looking forward to it! We'll be getting there around 7:30, hope to see some more riders out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Was there Friday. Markers 18-19 is under water with a large tree down at 18. There is some standing water between 2 and 24 but probably dried enough now to get through. The bridge between 27-28 is slick so it's best to walk the bike over.

May be there or Snowhill in the morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We just got back from Wekiva and what a mess! I'm not too familiar with the markers but heading in we went right at the fork then over the bridge and up the hill through the sand and on to the mtb trail entrance on the right. From there on it was pretty wet and just not good riding. We did however plug along and got about 8 miles in where there was a washout (shown below) that was tricky to cross without getting soaked but we made it, then came the real fun, we made the left on to what in the dry season is usually wet and it was really wet, like a .5 foot to about 1.5 feet deep in the section with the dreaded knots and then my partner got a flat! He swapped the tube but the tire had a big split so when he inflated it to about 20psi it popped. Now we're walking our bikes through the standing water to where the tree was down and on to dry land. At this point we're wet, and know there's no fun to be had at this point so we walk on but decide we're going to take a fire road instead of the trail we're used to traveling and get lost until a nice guy on a badass Specialized gave us directions and also left us some arrows in the sand further on down the trail (Thank You Very Much!!!) and we got back to the sand lake lot where my wife had to come pick us up because we rode from home today. What an adventure, my bike has never been so nasty! Cant wait until Thursday, were going back but are going to run it in reverse and avoid the section after the downed tree! Sorry for the bad pics, phone was wet.

Last edited by dvdslw; 07-28-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast