mtbr member

Watts Bar Lake Trails?

I am leaving for a week long vaca on Sat. Going to take my new Rockhopper Comp Disc. I am very new to mountain biking but having a blast. Anyone have any ideas for trails I gotta try? I will be staying at Arrowhead Resort. Think it is just outside of Spring City, TN, on Watts Bar Lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Are you wanting to find something right at Watts Bar? I don't know if there is anything except some local trails the locals might know about. I don't know how good they would be for mountain biking. They're probably just fishing trails to get to the hot spots.

I'd suggest going to the SORBA Chattanooga Web site. They have a trail guide there that gives a pretty good inclination of bike trails in Tennessee. Being that you are just starting out, it might be good to take a look at that because it also includes some descriptions. Not too far away from you would be Athens Tn. You could ride the trail over there. Also, you could go to Fall Creek Falls and ride that trail.

Since you are on vacation and have some time presumably, I'd suggest making the hour long trip south to Chattanooga and hitting Raccoon Mountain. You could do the Electric Avenue trail and if you are up to it, hit the River Gorge trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks dude. Day two of vaca, heading to Athens today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Tell us what you think of the trail there. Would like to know.

mtbr member
    I stopped by the LBS in Athens to see what would be a good first true mountain bike trail. The folks at Outdoor Store were great. They told me to try Brush Creek.

It was a great ride. I did not plan very well and it got dark quick. My yellow lab is the best trail guide. The only thing that kept me going for the last two miles was her yellow ears and back bouncing and leading the way. Glad everything worked out ok. Feels like an awesome experience now, but could have gone sour quick. Lights are going to be my next purchase.

They also gave me a site to check out. I was told that this guy is a prof at UT and does a good job keeping the site up. If you didnít already know about it, check it out. Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/

Thanks for the direction. Going to head to Chattanoogaa tomorrow and give Raccoon Mountain a ride.

mtbr member
    [img]img00033-20100729-1902[/img]