mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Vacation in Ellijay in March

Heading up to Ellijay in March with a buddy (we're from Tampa) Rented a cabin in Cherry Log. We'll be there the 3rd week of March (to celebrate my 40th birthday). We were up there in Dec. 2004 and rode Bear Creek, Carter Lake and went up to Tanasi. All were great. We're going to there for 7 days this time and I'm looking for some recommendations for good rides. We're pretty decent riders. We are comfortable with Razorback, and the advanced trails at Santos and Alafia. Are there any must rides in addition to the trails mentioned above. Also, are there any that we should avoid at that time of year?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks...

Don

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by Max99
    Heading up to Ellijay in March with a buddy (we're from Tampa) Rented a cabin in Cherry Log. We'll be there the 3rd week of March (to celebrate my 40th birthday). We were up there in Dec. 2004 and rode Bear Creek, Carter Lake and went up to Tanasi. All were great. We're going to there for 7 days this time and I'm looking for some recommendations for good rides. We're pretty decent riders. We are comfortable with Razorback, and the advanced trails at Santos and Alafia. Are there any must rides in addition to the trails mentioned above. Also, are there any that we should avoid at that time of year?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks...

Don
    Only reason for avoiding any trails in that area would be from rain and such. So "no" otherwise. Hunting season should be a done deal.

Theres a new section of the Pinhoti thats now completed starting from an intersection at the base of Bear Creek trail(like .25 ml in), taking a left(west) and straight up at first. It goes all the way up to the top of Fort Mtn basically, while climbing up and over 2-3 ridgelines, and is almost 100% sweet new singletrack, sans a couple miles of FS rd or old roadbed. I consider it one of the best rides in N Ga(maybe the SE). Must be done as an "in and out"(unless your into shuttles) for about a 25 mile ride with lots of climbing/descending. More miles?..include Bear Creek in the ride.

9 miles down the road past Tanasi is Chihowee, with a great trail system, being more like a mini Pisgah area, and not as groomed as Tanasi is. Park at the base of Clemmer(or camp up at the campground maybe?) and climb up to the main sys. Then bomb back down. Fun city.

Do the Aska Rd trails(trail review names:Stanley Gap-a personal fav, Flat Creek-do it with Stanley for a combo, and Green Mtn-least fav of the 3 trails). They are just outside of the next town north(18 miles from Ellijay) being Blue Ridge. Bring your legs.

The weather could go either way as you prolly already know. Same as your Dec trip. Here it is Jan., and its supposed to be 63* tomorrow. But, we've had record cold and snow in March as well.
    Last edited by Duckman; 01-27-2006 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Duckman!! Do you know if there is a current map of the Pinhoti trail floating around? We definitely want to check it out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We have not gotten a lot of the good GA trails like Bear Creek and Pinhoti stuff posted due to lack of info like maps but keep checking back here for info:

http://sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php

I love Pisgah
    What he said. No good map as far as I know. Too new.

You can PM if you want some details on the Pinhoti. Your also maybe close enough to do the Snake Gap ride, which is another section of the Pinhoti just west of 75 and Dalton Ga. The classic 16 mile section from Dug Gap to Snake Gap, is argubly the rockest ride in the SE. Very challenging regarding technical skills. Theres a 32/16 mile TT there the first weekend of Jan-Mar. this season. I'm racing it myself.

Go here for a great map of the above ride(the 16 as well as the 32 mile ride, which is awesome). The nwgasorba guys are a great group of people, that can be helpful with info and stuff if needed.

http://nwgasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yup Pihoti is a must do trail if you are staying in Elijay. Check w/ Charlie or MIke at Cartecay bikes in Elijay. These guys have been instrumental in creating this trail and no on knows more about them than they do. Maybe if youre lucky you might get the chance to sneak a ride in w/ Charlie, just dont let his looks fool ya. This guys stronger than death and never gets tired. Keep us posted where you will be and you might get some of us "locals" to show you around up there.

Al.
    Hooligan
    The Duckman is right - don't miss Pinhoti. But if your looking for something else after you have ridden Pinhoti - check out Bull Mountain. Here's a map: http://www.mindspring.com/~keithmc/r...festival2a.pdf - lots of options here.

Bull Mountain is off of GA52, East of Ellijay.

If you want to get a short ride in, try River Loop/Red and White/Boy Scout Loop. This is closer to Ellijay than Bull and makes for a nice ride if you don't have much time. Technical down by the river, fast with flow on the Red and White. Map: http://www.cartecaybikes.com/rides/M...ndBoyScout.pdf

If you like climbing, Windy Gap is fun.

And you probably know about Cartecay Bikes, see their site for maps, info, etc - http://www.cartecaybikes.com/

check the forum on www.sorba.org for group rides. You may be able to talk someone there into guided tours as well.

have fun.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobillycadillac
    yup Pihoti is a must do trail if you are staying in Elijay. Check w/ Charlie or MIke at Cartecay bikes in Elijay. These guys have been instrumental in creating this trail and no on knows more about them than they do. Maybe if youre lucky you might get the chance to sneak a ride in w/ Charlie, just dont let his looks fool ya. This guys stronger than death and never gets tired. Keep us posted where you will be and you might get some of us "locals" to show you around up there.
    n00b.

I love Pisgah
    Hit my PM again with you email. I sorta deleted everything in it(including your addy). Dopey me.

Duck

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks to all for the info. Maybe we'll get to meet up with some of you while we're in town.

not so super...
    Post ride = Poole's BBQ

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Post ride = Poole's BBQ

Yeah, we wanted to check that place out when we were there before, but it was closed until our last night and we went to the Cajun Depot that night. We'll be there longer this time, so hopefully we'll get a chance to go.