mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Tsali - recommend a bike

I am planning to ride Tsali next month. What type of bikes do folks normally ride out there? I have access to a hardtail and 5 inch all mtn bike..i am a relatively aggressive rider and plan to put in 30 miles plus per day..what bike would you recommend?

bust a move
    Most any bike that didn't come from wally world will work there. I would go with the fs, tsali has no severe terrain (imo) but after 30 miles, my a$$ would pick the all mtn.

Even though alot of guys in this forum have ridden tsali, try posting this in the NC forum if you want more input
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Earlier this year I rode Tsali on a rigid 29er SS (36x18) and did quite a bit of walking on the steeper gradual climbs. I did have a great couple of rides on that rig and would definitely SS it again. Just a few months ago I took my Salsa Big Mamma (1x9) and had an absolute blast on all trails. Swing by Bryson City Bicycles in Bryson City, 20min to the East and ask for Andy the shop owner, he'll be able to tell you how the trails are looking and what rigs are best applicable for the current conditions.

greedy
    I was up there in April with my Intense 5.5 and had a blast. There are quite a few decents that can really be blown out with an AM bike. When I lived in Asheville I was racing and riding a carbon hardtail and enjoyed Tsali with it as well. You can really turn out some laps on a XC rig and really have a good time on an AM rig. I'd take both, but if I had to choose, take the AM rig. That is just my opinion and what I'm enjoying right now.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I really prefer my hard tail 29er there (that, over my Yeti 575). The trails are 95% buff, and there are some reasonably steep climbs (much easier to fly up on the hard tail). The rocks and roots that are there in a few places are not severe enough to warrant the "big" bike IMO, and the hard tail just climbs like a rocket.

Its got what plants crave
    That place is pretty buff, no problem riding it on a hardtail at all.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Just road there this past weekend, and 2 weekends before that. Last weekend I road an Evil Soveriegn hardtail with a 150mm front squish. Time before that I road a Turner 5 spot. It's smooth, fast, and flowly. Take anything from a rigid hardtail up to a 6 incher and you'll have fun.

Singletrack Slayer
    Anything with 2 wheels, pedals, and a chain, and brakes too.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    If you love both of your bikes, I would take the Hardtail. It really can't get much smoother than Tsali. Sure, there are some rocks here and there but it is very technically easy. You definitely don't need 5.5 inches of travel, but if you brought that bike you'd still have fun!

PS I just finished reviewing all of the Tsali trails. You can read some detailed reviews here:
    * Right Loop
    * Left Loop
    * Thompson Loop
    * Mouse Branch Loop
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.