mtbr member

Travelling to Pigeon Forge

My wife and I are going to be spending a week in Pigeon Forge and are bringing our bikes with us. Any recommendations of trails we could hit nearby? She is a beginner and I will have had the cast of my currently broken wrist for about a week, so nothing too technical or gnarly...

Also, any recommendations of other attractions/restaurants to visit when we're in the area would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The trails at Ijams/Meads quarry are probably the closest to where you'll be. There aren't any trails near Pigeon Forge, so you'll have to drive to the Knoxville area. There is a place called Climbworks in Gatlinburg that has mountain biking, but they charge for it.

Ijams info: Ijams Nature Center Trails

The other option you have is to ride Parson's Branch or Rich Mountain Roads in Cades Cove. Cades Cove is near the Townsend side of the GSMNP Gravel roads with scenery and elevation change, so not singletrack but it's still a cool experience.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Driving nearby isn't an issue. Even considering hopping over to NC for a day.

I had read about Climbworks... I don't mind having to pay, but does anyone have experience riding there?
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Drive over and ride Tsali. Way better than South Knox and still meets your requirements.

Drove Parson's a month ago and it was deep gravel. Would have hated it on a mtb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I rode at Climbworks a few weeks ago and it was an enjoyable ride. My father in law went with me and had some trouble keeping up but it was fun none the less. Overall the route is short, taking only about 12 minutes per lap but you can ride it as many times as you like. The wooden features get a little sketchy once it rains but the forest canopy keeps the ride pretty cool.

I live in Knoxville and ride at Ijams on occasion. It's a little more rocky but offers more variety in terms of novice, intermediate, hard courses and is free to ride. There is usually a good sized gathering on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings with food trucks and a local beer garden, Bearden Beer Market setting up a small "refresment" area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Panther Creek State Park in Morristown has some nice trails that are not far away. Tsali is also worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys! Sounds like we will have to make sure to make the trip to Tsali for a day!
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'd go straight to Tsali and skip Pigeon Forge, but maybe that's just me. Tell us how it goes!

mtbr member
    We're staying in Pigeon Forge because we couldn't get anything in NC (timeshare). So it was as close as we could get, basically.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc