MTB Newb
    Mar 2006

Trails in St.Pete, FL

I just got my bike and want to ride something... anything. I am wondering if there are any trails in, or very near St.Petersburg, Florida. I am going to go to Alafia soon, but this weekend I want to try to go somewhere close to home. My dad told me seminole lake park had some trails just off of their main loop, so I may go there, unless someone here comes up with a better idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Don't know of any in St. Pete, I'd suggest starting at Morris Bridge/Flatwoods, just off
    the interstate and Fletcher ave.(East Tampa)

If you just got the bike (new rider?) please don't go to Alafia for your first ride.

I hate that name.
    Agreed. No mtb trails in St. Pete to my knowledge. (or in Pinellas County period, for that matter) If you're in south St. Pete, Alafia/Boyette should be relatively easy via the bridge. But if you're gonna head to Flatwoods/MB, Boyette is almost equal driving time and a far better place to ride. I can make Boyette in 45 min coming from Safety Harbor. (between Clearwater and the upper bay, just north of g2b)
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

MTB Newb
    Mar 2006
    Well, we ended up at alafia. Why would you say that shouldn't be our first ride? I have ridden a bike before. ;p

I didn't think the easy trails were that hard at all, and we went on rock garden and bridges and cleared most of that as well.

MTB Newb
    Mar 2006
    How do you guys compare boyette to alafia?

Which one has more sandy areas?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    "New Rider" was my question.

If a "New Rider" does Gatorback, Frank's Loop and parts of Moonscape, the results can be "not pretty".

Glad you enjoyed our work. ( SWAMP club trail crew)

Boyette: It will have more sand in places ( long two track into main trail areas ) but nothing
    that will really bother anyone, it's mostly grass.

Trails: Your choice, Easy and flat or more challanging with ups and downs.

If you did all of Bridges and the Whoop-D-Dos, you can do all of Boyette.

There are more miles there if you choose to do all of them.

Take plenty of water, parking is a lot farther way from main trails then at Alafia.

Enjoy.

MTB Newb
    Mar 2006
    I am a new rider, but I know my limits. I didn't do anything I thought I shouldn't do. Well, I did do one drop I probably shouldn't have (the beginning of one of the advanced trails, I think gatorback) and went otb, but I was okay. I did all of the beginner and intermediate trails at alafia just fine.

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Both Boyette and Alaphia are great. There is stuff there for everybody from new riders and intermediates to experts. There are alot more expert trails at Alaphia. Boyette has about 2 miles of sandy double track to get out to the main trails. Sissys complain about the 'long' ride out. Once you get some confidence and experience try the Abyss in the NE corner of Boyette. It is a newer trail and it is a blast. Stay away from Morris Bridge / Flatwoods, especially this time of year. There is so much sand it really make riding a chore. And the sand is the only challenging thing about the place. Go to the Swamp website for info on these sites, they really do a great job maintaining the trails around here. Another great place in the area is Carter Rd. The Ridgeriders of Polk County take care of that one. The trails there are intermediate to expert and are alot of fun.

MTB Newb
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the information. We are going to alafia this sunday, it should be a blast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I live in St. Pete too. There are no trails around here but the Pinellas Trail is OK for endurance training. Don't waste your time with Seminole Park.

I like Alafia and Carter Road. I find the driving time is about the same. There seem to be more people out at Alafia. Carter road in Lakeland is a great time but a little remote.
    2007 Ibex Asta Pro
    2010 Specialized Epic Comp 29er....SWEET
    ------
    Retired: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS

MTB Newb
    Mar 2006
    I will have to check that out sometime.