mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. Trails in SE Tennessee, SW NC and northern Georgia?

Greetings!

A friend and I are looking to take a trip in two weeks through Chattanooga, northern Georgia and southwestern North Carolina, and we'd like to get some advice from the locals on the most epic trails to ride in these areas. We'll have about five days of riding, so we'd like to narrow down our options a bit.

We're looking for longer rides, although stringing together a few smaller trails in a single day works as well. Trails with lots of technical features won't scare us off as we're from central Texas, where rocks spring forth out of the ground like weeds. Fast, flowy singletrack is also good, climbs are good, we're all for variety.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have been riding in the Southeast for 17 years.

I am not sure that there is anything that I haven't ridden at this point.

In TN:
    Raccoon*
    White Oak Mtn
    Tanasi
    Chilhowee

In N GA
    Pinhotti
    Snake
    Stanley*

In WNC
    PISGAH!!!!
    Dupont

There is nothing else that compares to Pisgah. There are tons of loing epic routes that include awesome back country downhills.

Don't discount Alabama. Oak Mtn, Monte Sano, adn Coldwater are all awesome.

I starred the ones that I think are best. Everything on the list, I have ridden many times.

From the list of the other post, I would skip Tsali and Bull Mtn. Not bad, and mtn bike history, but better stuff is available these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the advice thus far! We'll research all of the above trails--I remember reading about Pisgah before (when we were looking over all the IMBA Epic trails), but that's about four hours east of Chattanooga, so not sure we'll make it out that far.

mtbr member
    Raccoon is about 20 miles of everything. Can be very technical in places. WOM is about 15 miles of everything from flow trails, steep climbs, and a nasty rock section at the top. Both are well maintained and rarely crowed even on the weekends. WOM drains beautifully, so even in heavy rains, its rideable the next day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So, I just looked at the weather forecast for Ellijay and Chattanooga, and they both have a 40% or higher chance of rain for the next nine days:

Ellijay, GA Weather Forecast from Weather Underground
    10 Day Weather Forecast for 30540 - weather.com

Is that typical this time of year? Is this perhaps a bad time of the year to visit? How quickly do trails recover from the rain?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yes, we get afternoon pop up t-storms, but it has been extra rainy. most chatt stuff does well after rain. n ga is good b/c it's steep, especially stanley (aska adventure area).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Typically we have been in a drought this time of year, but currently we are under water. It has rained nearly every day for 6 weeks straight. I haven't ridden in a month.

mtbr member
    What's unusual is number of days it has rained this year. Like the July 4th week. It's always a chance of pop up showers here. They usually last a short amount of time during the day. Our trails are built for this. Believe me, raccoon , WOM, and enterprise drain extremely well. Muddy or spots holding water are routinely repaired. The real down side about riding this time of year is the heat and humidity. Being from Texas, I'm guessing that's not unusual. Check out Friends of White Oak Mountain on facebook or sorba chattanooga. Even a rainy day won't kill your trip. Chattanooga has a nice downtown scene.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Pinhotti. Check out Mulberry Gap, home of the unique mountain bike destination for an amazing place to stay. They have fantastic food, excellent hospitality and great lodges.

I live in Chattanooga and frequent Enterprise South (can get in around 10 miles of trails that are fast and flowy). Also love Raccoon Mountain.