mtbr member

Trails near Sewanee TN?

Its looking like I'll be up in Sewanee for thursday and friday of next week with friends for thanksgiving. What are the good trails up there?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Trails

I know there is a trail around the University of the South, other then that, I really hope someone else responds. I live near that area and normally spend my time at AEDC. However, hunting has taken over that option so as of now I have been pretty much grounded except for the occasional ride at Tims Ford State Park, and that's not trail riding. I will also be looking for a favorable location to ride and it would be nice over my Thanksgiving break to get some riding in once again. Thanks to anyone tat responds in advance.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The perimeter trail at sewanee is on of my favorite trails. Has a nice mixture of fast flowing single track & tecnical terrain. There is also some other trails at Franklin State Forest that I have only ridden a small part of.

Send me a private message and I might be able to show you around the perimeter trail next weekend.

mtbr member
    Well I've found the University of the South trail system, located off of Crosby Lane, and the St Andrews Private School race trail.

Which would be better to check out if I only have 1 day to ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would ride the perimeter trail. Give a call Woody's Bicycles located on campus. We can set you up with maps and info, and if anyone is riding this weekend. Stop by the shop while you are in town.

mtbr member

Sewanee

Enjoy the ride
    Last edited by sgtjim57; 11-24-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are about 15 miles of mostly single track that is open and ridable on the Perimeter Trail. I wouldn't suggest trying the full loop, although we have done it, before we knew that some sections were closed to bikes.

Is there anyone that I would need to ask for permission to do some work on the Perimeter? There are several trees down that I might try and clear this weekend if I make it up there for a ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The majority of the perimeter trail is open to bikes, with the exeption of about 3 miles. I have trail maps on www.woodysbiycles.com. You can park at lake Cheston, and follow the trail clockwise, starting with the Wiggins Creak trail. You can ride all the way around to Roaks Cove rd, and hang a right. that will take you within 400 yards of Lake Cheston. It is an amazing trail, and I'm sorry sgtjim57 did not find what he was looking for. Please feel free to give us a call, or email any time, and we will help you find your way to some of the best riding for miles around

Brian
    service@woodysbicycles.com
    931-598-9793

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's the route I take, except I usually do it as an out and back.

mtbr member
    Brian, thanks for the help and the maps. The Perimeter trail was fun but a little challenging for my friends. I went out to the St Andrews School on thursday and a local biker named Chris showed me some nice trails out there around the lake/dam.

I'll definitely be stopping by Woody's the next time I'm up Sewanee and hope to have more time to explore the university trails as well as St Andrews.

Kneel Before Your Master
    That University of The South is a really nice school. I know you need to have some cash to go there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    That University of The South is a really nice school. I know you need to have some cash to go there.
    And a strong liver. Not much to do up there other than drink Tennessee whiskey. It was my backup school...my liver is glad that I got into my college of choice.