mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Trails near Newnan, GA

I am heading to Newnan, GA on Friday to attend a wedding. My brother will also be there and we were hoping to hit some trails on Saturday morning while the wives do some shopping.

What options are there somewhat close to Newnan, GA?

Thanks
    Nate

long standing member
    I haven't heard about trails in Newnan itself. How far are you willing to drive?

- About 15-20 miles east in Peachtree City there is a small network of trails, the Stinky Trail and BSC (baseball/soccer complex).
    - If you're willing to drive a little further there are trails about an hour south on I85 of Newnan at West Point Lake.
    - Olympic MTB Park in Conyers is 65 miles NE.
    - Blankets Creek in Woodstock is 70 miles north and worth the drive if you have the time.
    - About 90 min SE are Dauset Trails in Jackson.

If any of these are of interest let me know and I can share any info I have.

Quote Originally Posted by cnhodge View Post
    I am heading to Newnan, GA on Friday to attend a wedding. My brother will also be there and we were hoping to hit some trails on Saturday morning while the wives do some shopping.

What options are there somewhat close to Newnan, GA?

Thanks
    Nate

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think the trails in Peachtree City would be interesting since it is pretty close. What can you tell me about those? Any websites for those trails?

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by cnhodge View Post
    I think the trails in Peachtree City would be interesting since it is pretty close. What can you tell me about those? Any websites for those trails?
    I can send you the files I've got on those trails, a .pdf, .jpg and a Google Earth file. PM my your email and I'll send them over. No websites with public access to info that I know of.

From the North entrance to the Stinky the main trail runs a few miles south with a bunch of little spurs and alternate loops. It can be a little confusing as things are not fully labeled and there is not a complete, accurate trail map available that I've found. It isn't that easy to get lost as you'll always end up on the Sewer cut trail, a golf cart path or a road eventually. There is a crossover path under (or over, if you wish) Hwy 74 at the south end of the Stinky that leads to the BSC. There are about 1.5 miles of trails there (I think), essentially an outer and inner loop.

The trails are fun, but not necessarily something rave about. Some sections are fast and flowy, others are tight and twisty and sometimes an issue with wide handlebars. Minimally technical, but that depends on personal perspective and there are some ravines and rooty sections that can keep you on your toes. A beginner rider would probably think there are technical.

If you can find them there area a few short roller coaster like segments that are a blast. There isn't much in big elevation change, but the trail is almost constantly going up or down. There are a couple of spurs that were not well thought out when initially cut in, you'll know it if you end up one one by the lack of flow and awkward radius turns.

Despite it's name and the fact that the trails parallel the stormwater drainage ditch it usually isn't too smelly, but be forewarned that it might be. I tend to take the higher elevate trails to stay away from the stink and limit the chances of hitting mud or standing water puddles and to get a little more climbing in. This higher route usually puts you in sight of the back of the industrial properties that run along 74.

North entrance of Stinky Trail. Probably easiest to park at the Kroger shopping center a little further east on Crosstown and then ride the paths over to the entrance next to Valvoline (less than 5 minutes by bike).

I live essentially around the block from one entrance of the Stinky Trail and if I was going to be in town this weekend I'd give you a tour, but unfortunately I'll be away.

A youtube.com search of "stinky trail peachtree city" gets an assortment of videos of varying quality. Here's on (not mine).

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Great description.

I know there are some old dirt bike trails out in Newnan that have been converted to MTB trails but cant tell you any more than that they are there since I dont know myself where they are located.

There's a really fun BMX track in Peachtree City as well if you've got a dirt jumper and want to play around for a few hours. Otherwise the descriptions above are pretty accurate regarding the Stinky Trail and BSC trail.

If you had more time I'd highly recommend Dauset Trails but it's over an hour drive from Peachtree City and you'll have another 15-20 minutes each way on top of that.

noob
    Apr 2012
    I've heard the trails at Peachtree City are pretty sweet but have not ridden them myself. I have however been to Macintosh Reserve. I would not recommend it. Mostly horse trails and was torn up and very sandy in the parts close to the river. Its a nice place but less than ideal from mountain biking in my opinion. I would check out Peachtree city.