Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trails near Loganville?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Tribble Me 
#1 ·
I will be coming to Loganville in a few weeks to visit with family and was thinking of trying to get a ride or 2 in. I ride 3-4x week in northern california. I like fast and flowy stuff as well as some technical stuff mixed in. I am not a huge fan of climbing, but know you have to do it to ride some fun stuff. Are there any recommendation for anything within 30-45 minutes of Loganville? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Not too far away you have 4 choices, Tribble Mill, Harbins Park, Yellow River, Conyers Horse Park (Site of the '96 MTB Olympic course). Drive a little further and there is Fort Yargo, and Chicopee Woods. Check the GATR website for more info on the first 3. Gwinnett Area Trail Riders: G.A.T.R. | A Chapter of S.O.R.B.A

My favorite of these is Chicopee (Probably about 1 hr drive) GainesvilleSorba » Gainesville SORBA Trail Information

None of these areas have too much climbing, at least like I imagine Northern California

Tribble is not well marked so a guide helps if you've never ridden there.

Harbins is well marked on the trails. There are two sides. The right side as you drive in is about 9 miles of trail, not real tight. The left side is tighter and more technical and you can do about 12 miles or so I think without repeating too much. Check out Rim-Bender for some downhill with jumps and bermed corners. You have to cross 2 fairly shallow creeks to get to the back section with Rim Bender.

Yellow River and the Horse Park are fun but I don't ride them too much, so I'll let someone else chime in on those.

#4 ·
Anyone care to comment on how is the Ft Yargo loop? One of my friends in Georgia mentioned it to me. Is it a pretty straight forward loop or are there turns that can get you lost? Is it well marked? Is the Monster Mile section part of the normal loop?

#5 ·
Ft Yargo is pretty much one big loop, about 10 miles I think. You can add a mile or so by taking the Monster Mile section, or you can cut it down a bit with the bypass(between mile markers 2 & 3 on the map). Pretty easy to follow the loop, but it never hurts to print out the map and take with you; there are mile markers on the trail that correspond with the mile markers on the map
http://www.georgiastateparks.org/content/Georgia/parks/trail_maps/FortYargo-2012.pdf

#6 ·
also, I love the Tribble Mill park trails, lots of single track an just enough tech to keep it from being too easy, though not really technical. Moderate climbing at worst. But you will need to ride with someone who knows the trails to get the most out of it, as they are unmarked and hard to follow if you do not know them. This park is about 5 minutes down the road from Harbins Park trails and maybe 15 minutes from Ft Yargo. Harbins is fun but machine cut so it is not as much true singletrack like Tribble Mill.

#7 ·
I would also encourage you to hit up Tribble. Its is much like the Atlanta streets, a big mess of spaghetti, but lots of different flavors. Kind of a microcosm of all the riding in the area.

There is also Heritage Park out near Athens (about 30 minutes from Yargo) that is a nice 12 mile loop full of roots and rocks and a couple stream crossings. Do Heritage in the morning, have lunch in Athens, at Agua Linda on Prince Ave, or the Grill on College Ave, then do Yargo in the afternoon with a swim in the lake at the end to cool down, followed by a round of mini golf there in the park. Should net you a nice day.

#8 ·
Should net you a nice day.
or heatstroke ;) . be prepared for the humidity... just sayin.

---

Chicopee is the best trail system in the area, in my opinion. It's got big flow trails, tech, rock, climbing, challenge, mileage... more intermediate+ trails. You'll need a map, plenty of water, and a big bowl of Wheaties. If you're adventurous, and want a challenge, this is where I would go.

Fort Yargo will be the easiest to follow (loop), and is a fun trail. Not too much technical. Has some good flow. Some climbing. Easy to get to, etc.

Harbins Park is nothing but fast, swoopy, flow trails. It's like a giant pump track. For a pure flow trail, it can't be beat in this area IMO. It's got a sweet jump line trail too, but very little technical. Sometimes, I think it's more fun than Yargo, but not as much of a workout.

I would only suggest Tribble with a guide. First time I rode it, it was kinda meh. Then a local showed me a route through the maze, and it was a lot more fun and flowed together nicely... I couldn't repeat it though.

Conyers Park is worth a ride too (both sides of the road). More tech, more climbing. Big, granite slab riding, which is kinda unique to the area. Not too hard to follow.

#9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions/feedback. I am trying to connect with a few friends who can take me to 1-2 of these places. I grew up in the southeast, but didn't really start riding a lot until I moved to California nearly 15 years ago. Looking forward to exploring some stuff in my old backyard. Thanks again for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.