mtbr member

Trails near Atlanta

Anybody have any links to trail maps or is the best bet to stop by a local shop and see what's available.

Ryan H.

Its got what plants crave
    Ride the Olympic course in Conyers.. just east of Atlanta. Visit the trail guide here and check it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Blankets Creek

...is another one. There are three loops there. It's not fantastic, but it'll do as it is close to the city (it is up I-75 N, north of Atl). Probably 40 minutes from city center. Directions I found on the net are:

From I-285 go North on I-75 to I-575 north. Go to Sixes Road-exit 11 and turn left (west). Trail is about 2-3 miles on the left and is clearly marked with plenty of parking.

Description:
    3 Loops now, Beginner 1.3 miles, Intermediate 3.7 Miles, Advanced (intermediate+) 4.3 miles

One other on the east side is Yellow River. They completely messed up the front section -- erased all fun single track and put in 5 ft wide pretty gravel trails, it was tragic. There is a back section that is good to ride, but I am not sure if they demolished that, as I haven't been out there for about 5 months.

Directions:
    The Yellow River Park is located at 3232 Juhan Road in Lithonia. From Atlanta, take Highway 78 East past Stone Mountain to the West Park Place exit. Turn right and go approximately 3.5 miles to Juhan Road. Turn right on Juhan Road. The parking lot is about 2 miles on the left.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    Anybody have any links to trail maps or is the best bet to stop by a local shop and see what's available.

Ryan H.
    Where in Atlanta are you located? There are lots of trails but getting from the east side subarbs to the NW can take 2 hours .

Start here for more info: www.sorba.org
    Nothing to see here.

That's why I hate Atlanta! Traffic sucks.

mtbr member
    Well I'm not in Atlanta at all. I'm coming down there for spring break. I'm from Jersey. I'll be in the La Fayette area for a couple of days and then in the Roswell area for a few days. I just want to make sure I hit up the best XC trails I can find.

Ryan H.

dirty trail dog
    When you're in Roswell, you can hit Big Creek, but it is a very short fast loop. You can take a 45 min drive north to Gainesville and hit Chicopee, which is a bit longer and more technical. Blankets Creek is about 30 mins west of Roswell, and it's a fun trail, but there's nothing really outstanding about it. You can log some serious mileage there if you want, though.

Or you can make the 1.5 hour drive to Ellijay and hit Bear Creek and Pinhoti, which is one of the best trail systems in the state, imho.

When you're in Lafayette, Ellijay is still an option, and you have Fort Mountain, which has some technical riding. There's also a Pinhoti section in or near Dalton that is supposed to be pretty bada$$. I haven't been to either of those trails, though.

If I was going to suggest one trail in GA, it'd be Bear Creek. It's totally worth the drive if you're within 2 hours. I've got some crappy pics of Bear Creek on my site (link is in my sig) if you're interested.
    Last edited by Rebus; 04-06-2006 at 05:29 AM.
    yep...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loadedcarp
    When you're in Roswell, you can hit Big Creek, but it is a very short fast loop. You can take a 45 min drive north to Gainesville and hit Chicopee, which is a bit longer and more technical. Blankets Creek is about 30 mins west of Roswell, and it's a fun trail, but there's nothing really outstanding about it. You can log some serious mileage there if you want, though.

Or you can make the 1.5 hour drive to Ellijay and hit Bear Creek and Pinhoti, which is one of the best trail systems in the state, imho.

When you're in Lafayette, Ellijay is still an option, and you have Fort Mountain, which has some technical riding. There's also a Pinhoti section in or near Dalton that is supposed to be pretty bada$$. I haven't been to either of those trails, though.

If I was going to suggest one trail in GA, it'd be Bear Creek. It's totally worth the drive if you're within 2 hours. I've got some crappy pics of Bear Creek on my site (link is in my sig) if you're interested.
    Nice. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll add those to my list. We're used to the rocky and rooted sections of the northeast so if there's some hard technical stuff I'm all over it. I wouldn't mind putting on a lot of mileage though either. Thanks again.

Ryan H.

not so super...
    The Bull Mountain trail system north of Roswell (about 1 hour) is also outstanding.
    Nothing to see here.

There are lots of good trail systems within an hour or so of Atlanta, and if you're coming from the north most of them shouldn't be too far out of your way. Elijay and Dahlonega (SP?) are both great places to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you go to Chicopee, watch out for snakes. I almost ran over a 4 or 5ft. cottonmouth the other day. He was sprawled out across the trail sunning himself -- not my idea of nature's beauty. If you're not familiar with the cottonmouth, it's the only snake in the world that Steve Irwin's crazy ass won't handle.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    www.sorba.org and www.southeasterncycling.com both have information about trails in Atlanta.