Thread: Trail of Tears?

Columbus, GA

Trail of Tears?

I heard from a friend that the Trail of Tears in Phenix City was being worked on. I went there yesterday but couldn't really find the trails. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about if it really is being worked on and where the trailhead is?

mtbr member
    I went there last year. I found one of the trails, but apparently I missed much more...
    If you want to find the trail park where the paved road runs into that gate. If you drive a car you will not want to go down that road. It is sketchy. Its probably a little steep for a car and there is this old abandoned building that has fence around it and cameras.. I felt like I was creeping up on a meth lab. The trailhead is up on the right side of the paved road, like going towards the dirt under the powerlines. Once you leave the trail you will come to a trash dump. The area under the power lines is packed full of GARBAGE.. Apparently it is where all the rednecks go to dump their trash, along with riding the powerlines with 4wheelers. I didn't feel safe leaving my truck there and felt awkward in that trash dump so I left and went to flat rock park.

Columbus, GA
    I went there a few days ago with a friend. It was fun but it definitely needs some work. It started pouring so we got soaked, but we rode enough of the trails to see what it had to offer. If I wasn't going to college this year I would go there and work on the trails, but I probably won't have much time now. It has plenty of potential. It sucks how people dump there trash there, though. It's everywhere. I've done Flat Rock so many times that I was glad to do something new.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Used to go there weekly back around the turn of the century & a knowledgeable guide was always good. Even after many rides, I'd still get cornfused at some of the junctions.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Columbus, GA
    Yeah, it's pretty confusing. Sadly some of the land was cleared out, which had trails going through it. After that no one really maintained the trails that are still there, so it's pretty messy.

mtbr member
    Bring a can on Spray paint and put some dots along the way on trees and rocks to get you through the intersections and maybe you and others will start riding it more and the trails will get bedded in a little more to make the ride better. Call and complain the the City, County and the State about the trash and garbage and maybe they will get some of it cleaned up or atleast stopped or slowed down. Is there a local club there that would jump in to do some work there? Maybe SORBA might do something to help you. Do you have an IMBA/SORBA membership?
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i am in Albany Ga and have been to Flat Rock a couple times and would like to check it out one day. Hopefully some work will get done to it soon.