XXIX

Trail systems with campgrounds?

Looking for camping and riding options in the south east. I really do like the ability to camp at the trail head like Santos. Is there any other good trail systems with the same camping options. I know Alifia river state park has a campground as well.

mtbr member
    Though not a local (MI), I've spent the last several Decembers riding as many trails as I could squeeze into my visits. Trail systems I've ridden that have camping include Santos, Alafia (2 of the very best Florida has to offer), Ft. Clinch (nice area, so-so trail), Markham (fun trail!), and Johnathan Dickinson (bleh). There may be others, but most of the FL parks I've found with MTB trails only have a couple of miles, so aren't worth driving too far for, or in your case, setting up camp.
    'Bones

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Oleta River has cabins. Quiet Waters has some form of elevated tents. Head north to some of GA state parks. Trails are great, camping is even better. Fort Yargo and Dausett trails (attached to Indian Springs SP) come to mind but a lot of there state parks have trails.

mtbr member
    The Tanasi trail system in Ocoee, TN has primitive camping on the cheap and several trails. Climmer, Brush Creek, etc. definitely climbing involved. Simply beautiful surroundings. Check IMBA for map details, but more than the 30 miles listed. Located About 50 miles north of chattanooga. Probably more than a 100 miles of nice single track within an hours drive of Chattanooga.

re member
    Tsali in North Carolina has a nice campground right at the trail head. And the trails there are worth checking out,
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Alexander Springs in Ocala National Forest is next to Paisley Woods Trail. Pine Log just north of Panama City Beach. There's some really good bootleg trail near the Trout Pond in Apalachicola National Forest.

If you don't need facilities and can camp primitively, pretty much anything in the National Forests are game as long as your like 200' off the trail.

XXIX
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Tsali in North Carolina has a nice campground right at the trail head. And the trails there are worth checking out,
    Tsali is on my short list already so I will check it out. A few friends and I just rode FATS and stayed at Hamilton Branch state park and had a great time. Just trying to plan our next out of state trip.

Feel Good About Hood
    Just went to FATS for the first time myself. HIGHLY recommended. We stayed at Petersburg Campground on the lake, nice easy Bartram Trail access at the campground. Big sites, chill staff, good hot showers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    The Tanasi trail system in Ocoee, TN has primitive camping on the cheap and several trails. Climmer, Brush Creek, etc. definitely climbing involved. Simply beautiful surroundings. Check IMBA for map details, but more than the 30 miles listed. Located About 50 miles north of chattanooga. Probably more than a 100 miles of nice single track within an hours drive of Chattanooga.
    X2

This is my local spot and I think you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful spot to ride and camp for a few days. Other great options would include Brevard N.C. to ride Dupont and Pisgah. Personally I would hit Pisgah and Dupont over Tsali but it's all good. Have a great trip!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If heading to FATS (6 loops, 35ish miles) I would recommend camping at Petersburg Campground. The reason for this over other COE campsites in the area is that being the closes to FATS (about 10 min drive) you also have Bartram Trail right at the campsite. This is 18 miles of trail (one way), at the end of it you can cross Washington Rd. and add Keg Creek (another 9+ miles) There is also a route that adds with a 3 mile road connector Mistletoe with would make the whole route round trip about 65 miles. ROUTES

besides the trails I mentioned there are six other trails within a 30 minute drive of Petersurg that are fun.

These are my local trails and this is where I go camp and steer others to go.

My wife and I did go to Ft. Yargo (Winder, GA), had a blast. great for a quick weekend.

mtbr member
    Monte Sano has a campground with facilities.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check out Mulberry Gap in Ellijay, GA (N. GA). You can camp or stay in cabins. There are showers, breakfast, and Dinner. I was up there about 3 weeks ago. You can actually ride from your campsite to the Pinhoti trail system.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

DILLIGAF
    Davidson River Campground in Brevard NC is hard to beat!!

mtbr member
    Mulberry Gap Mulberry Gap, home of the unique mountain bike destination is a mountain bike specific campground. Also try Fort Mountain State Park north of Ellijay Fort Mountain State Park | Georgia State Parks, or Ft. Yargo State Park in Winder, Fort Yargo State Park | Georgia State Parks or Yaba. All are in Georgia. If you go to Ft. Yargo there are numerous mountain biking trails nearby that would require just a short drive aside from the 13 mile trail that is at the park itself. Other trails near Ft. Yargo are Chicopee Woods, Harbins Park, Tribble Mill Park, and Heritage Park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Any camping in FL with some good trails nearby? Looking to camp for a few nights around Christmas and want something relatively warm. I'm in Atlanta, so want something not much further than Orlando area. I'd like some well marked trails, intermediate level trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Santos in Bellview/Ocala is just north of Orlando and has everything you could want to ride. Trailhead is next to campground.

mtbr member
    Santos is the place for you. Camping right at one of the trailheads, excellent trails for all skill levels, and some good eating if you seek out the places a little further away in Ocala. Santos rocks!
    'Bones

mtbr member
    Oops! Cuttrs already said it all -should have checked here first.
    'Bones

XXIX
    Yes for Santos, good facilities and the bike shop within walking distance from the campground. They also sell beer. If you want a little more remote the Ross Prairie campground is at the other end of the greenway with access to the same trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I believe Ross Prairie is RV only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just stayed there Saturday night and was in a tent. They allow tents but is more RV and equestrian friendly. Santos campground is much better IMO but It was full do to the Florida State Championship race.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttrs View Post
    I just stayed there Saturday night and was in a tent. They allow tents but is more RV and equestrian friendly. Santos campground is much better IMO but It was full do to the Florida State Championship race.
    Hope this is so. I'd like to stay on that side someday.