mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Trail for Mini-Me in Knoxville area

My 3 year old has been riding without training wheels since Easter. We tried Concord Park last weekend and road the main loop. Mini-me did AWESOME, but busted a couple times and we walked a lot. There were some climbs and lots of rocks roots that his little 12" bike got hung on. Is there any place anywhere within an hour or so of Knoxville that has just smooth hardpacked single track. If you guys are have ever ridden there I'm envisioning the first section of Lock 4 in Nashville. I'm looking for that same type of hard packed, twisty, somewhat smooth, not to steep, single track.

Major thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Panther creek has some of that. Also check out some of the trails at Meads Quarry.

mtbr member
    Although not dirt, the Third Creek Greenway is another good ride especially for younger or new riders. Starts in Bearden (at the Earth Fare) and goes for miles. Has many stops and scenery for rests: creeks, playgrounds, a skatepark, TN river, Calhoun's restaurant (feed the fish).

City of Knoxville - Third Creek Greenway
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Maryville College has some trails that are kid friendly.

I am struggling to find stuff my 5yo can do with me. We have tried Panther, Norris, Meads, and Haw. I would rank them in that order as well.

He is finally begin enough to ride a geared 24" bike and does great at Panther and Norris. He does better on the wider and not steep trails. Although Norris has a lot of climbing he can sit and just crank along. Meads and Haw are much narrower and steep narrow trails are no good for him.

Another option is the BMX track in Morristown. That place is SUPER kid friendly and they have strider races most Saturday nights. My kid loves it. The only downfall is that it is in Morristown and they start a little too late for my kids who do best to be in bed by 8ish.