mtbr member
    May 2013

Tire recommendation for S Florida riding

The Nobby Nic on the back of my Scott is ready to be replaced. I ride at Quiet Waters and West Delray Regional Park. I'd like something that has a little more life than the Nobby Nic.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have tried alot, but my favorites for Florida are Maxxis Ignitors. Fast, smooth rolling and not to weighty. Good and grippy for all terrain I have encountered. All my bikes wear them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've been riding at Quiet Waters lately and that coral rock is definitely tough on tires. I keep going back to NN because they work well for me but they do seem to wear quickly and it does get pricey. My LBS says Hans Dampfs would probably last longer so I may try them next time around. One guy I talk to over there says he's been having great luck with Kenda Nevegals (29") so you might try those. He was using NN and reports the Nevegals have better grip and last longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    how much use are you guys getting with nobby nicks?

Hi There!
    Kenda Nevegals or Maxxis Crossmark do me right, tubeless.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by A DuB View Post
    how much use are you guys getting with nobby nicks?

I have 400 trail ridden miles on my NN's. The Maxxis Aspens on my HT have twice that, alot of that on the road and still have as much tread as the NN's. I'm going to give the Nevegals a shot this time.Time wise I bought the Scott in the 3rd week of June and looking at the back tire after my last ride at QW this week I think it has one more ride left in it.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I get 4-6 months from a set. No idea of the mileage but usually I ride twice a week.

TRANCER
    I've been using a Nevegal Stick-ee in the front. It's great for all Florida terrain. It has great grip. In the rear I've been using Nobby Nick or the Racing Ralph... But I admit it does get pricey. A buddy of mine has been swearing by the Kenda Excavator in the rear. Says it doesn't wear as fast and has incredible grip. Also sheds mud very well. I will give it a shot soon.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just ordered a nevegal for the front and a slant 6 for the rear. I'm over in Fort Myers, figured this would be a good combo for the slicker days. The Racing Ralphs just don't cut it for me.

Cannondale Snob
    WTB Weirwolfs. I used to ride 3-4 days a week, for a total of about 18 hours- maybe averaged 70 miles each week? Mostly technical riding- not a lot of fast slowly stuff because I get bored easily. This was consistent for a good year and I didn't wear them out. Not much street riding, and not a ton of rock. Haven't met a tire that climbs or corners better, and since I usually run them around 40PSI they roll fast, too. I have the race version that is supposed to use tubes, but ran them tubeless- hence the high tire pressure. They met an unfortunate and premature demise when I stored the bike in my car for the better part of a summer day in the Lakeland airport parking lot- the sidewalls bubbled up and blew out! Replaced them with more of the same

I have the tubeless version on my other bike and run those at lower pressures. Much softer ride but don't notice any difference in grip.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Hi There!
    You shouldn't need to worry about mud down here for the next 4 months at least...
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I ride Maxxis Ardent up front and Maxxis Ignitor in rear, running both tubeless at about 30lbs pressure. Works well for me.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Tire recommendation for S Florida riding

Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    You shouldn't need to worry about mud down here for the next 4 months at least...
    Lol

Then I guess you weren't at Markham yesterday.... Gotta live South Fla weather...

Fwiw, I run a RR 2.25 front and Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 rear on my anthem x 29er

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
    Lol

Then I guess you weren't at Markham yesterday.... Gotta live South Fla weather...

Fwiw, I run a RR 2.25 front and Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 rear on my anthem x 29er
    Yeah, I was out driving in the rain with my wife today and told her about my post up there. Maybe I jinxed us, but then again Quiet Waters should be in great shape monday and tuesday!
    NTFTC

TRANCER
    I don't get meteorologist. 20% rain and it rained ALL DAY! Wtf?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    West delray was a mud pit today!

mtbr member
    May 2013

I don't like the Nevegals

These things have the rolling resistance of a concrete block. I'm going to need a faster rolling tire in the back at the very least.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I gotta check out this delray course, I live right down the road!