mtbr member
    May 2010

Tire reccomendations in SFL

Looking to upgrade my tires as ive been using the factory botrager jones XR that came with my fuel ex7. I ride mostly markham and amelia arheart. Im not familiar with tubeless tires but open to suggestions...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am currently using (and happy with) Maxxis CrossMark with a 2.25 up front and 2.1 in the rear. Much faster than the Nevegals I had and good grip.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanx for the quik reply. i demo'd a giant with those tires they had awsome cornering grip and rolled very nice. But Are tubless worth the extra money?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am not running tubeless. There are 2 versions.

Praise Bob
    Dont bother with tires that have tubeless casings. The extra thick casings are totally unnecessary since we dont have the sharp rocks like you would encounter out west or northeast.

Around here, you are mostly riding in sand and limestone (which is comparably soft). I have yet to tear a sidewall here in Florida.

I made the mistake of buying tubeless tires and pedaling those boat anchors around became tiresome really quickly. As a result I now have brand new 2.35 Nevegal hanging in the garage. That bastard weighs 1100 grams. What a waste.

With that said, I DO run my regular tires tubeless with Stan's sealant. My rims are tubeless so I don't need rim strips. This saves the weight of tubes and let's me run low pressures without fear of pinch flatting on all the roots we have around here. I use a 2.35 up front and a 2.1 in the rear inflated to 28# and 35# respectively. I am also 210lbs so YMMV.

Running the larger tire up front helps the front tire to float over all the sugar sand typical with florida trails. I run a Nevegal up front to give extra bite in the sandy corners and a SB8 in the rear for better rolling resistance.

I hope that helps!
    ~S

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So run a widder tire up front? Ok makes sense. Im debating between kendas block 8 and maxxis crossmark... I have 2.1 nevegals on my old bike that it came with and they did grip a little better than these jones xr i have now. Idc about treadlife as i only ride about 30 miles or so through the week and i never ride on the street

mtbr member
    I've been riding Panaracer Fire XC's for a while, and while they perform very well they do get a lot of the knobs near the edge sheared on the coral rock at places such as Markham.

I now ride a Fire XC in the front and a Geax Sturdy in the rear and it's a great combo. When the Fire XC is shot, I'm gonna switch to the WTB Exiwolf 2.1 I bought (see how that goes).

TRANCER
    I'm using Kenda Nevegal 2.1 front and rear. Up front I'm usin the stickee and the DTC type in the rear. I have awesome grip with that combo on any south Florida terrain.
    Ride

mtbr member
    For sandy conditions the Aspen 2.25 is my go-to tire. The wide footprint (closer to 2.3") floats over the sand really well.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanx guys, Im using an old set of 2.1 nevegals and there ok better than the jones thats for sure. But ill keep an eye out for any specials on the crossmarks or fire xc's 2.3F-2.1R

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex

Around here, you are mostly riding in sand and limestone (which is comparably soft). I have yet to tear a sidewall here in Florida.

~S
    I have - on a rear Nev. But back then either my rookie status or my setup had me riding around things rather than over them like I do now

I run a 2.35 sticky Nev up front and 2.1 DTC outback. Slow rolling no doubt, but what the lack in RR they make up for by railing corners, cleaning climbs and giving me the ability to trackstand nose bleed drops...If i need to.. I would like a faster roller but it would need to be as wide as the nevs with not much trade of in grip (I expect there will be some)
    Last edited by LordDRIFT; 05-30-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2.4 WTB MutanoRaptor

I ride mostly Pinehurst and Oleta and switched from Nevagels to the WTB's on my Tracer VP and I like them a whole lot more. Especially in the sand. They roll faster and corner pretty well. Pretty light at 600 grams for trailbike use.

I just put Maxxis Ardents on my Tallboy and I recomend them also but they will pack up in mud.