0 0%
  • 2.2 S-Works Fast Trak / 2.0 Fast Trak Control

2 28.57%
  • Other; Explain yourself!!!

5 71.43%
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Tire Choice.. Opposite extremes?

So i'm kinda tire shopping.. And at a bit of a crossroads with what to get.

Bike: Spec Rockhopper; current tires 2.3 Hans Dampf Front, 2.1 Ground Control Rear

I was pretty much set on 2.3 Purgatory/2.1 Ground Control, I've been considering a couple other options also.

2.3 Purgatory Control/2.3 Ground Control
    2.2 S-Works Fast Trak/1.95 Renegade Control
    2.2 S-Works Fast Trak/2.0 Fast Trak Control
    2.1 S-Works Ground Control/2.0 Fast Trak Control

i've had captains, ground controls, fast traks and been using the hans lately. i like them all really..

main reason i'm considering a more XC oriented setup is to drop some weight and make the bike more responsive.. i'm hoping faster rolling/lighter tires will do it... or am i just wishful thinking and should be thinking fatter tire = faster speeds.

Parks i ride.. Amelia, Oleta, Virginia Key, Markham

also.. not really looking too much into trying other tire brands out, been feeling spec's but im open to suggestions.

Thanks

EDIT: also thinking ground control/fast trak combo

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I'm really liking the current Ground Control/Fast Trak combo I have on my Carve. Gonna swap the Fast Trak/Renegade setup I have on my Hardrock out to the GC/FT combo.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    I'm on Captain 2.0/Fast Trak 2.0 and ride those trails. Lovin' it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ground Control/Fast Trak crossed my mind, made sense in theory in my head just didnt know how it would actually work out, might actually give it a try.

ive tried a captain in the front and wasnt thrilled with it, loved it in back.

I switch between a hans and a gc in front and i gotta say i love the way the gc bites. might go ground control 2.3/fast trak 2.2.. keeps a little meat on them, rolls faster than what i have now and saves some weight, sounds like a winner.

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Why only Specialized options when there are so many other nakers with MUCH better tread options? Look at WTB, the Bronson is a beastly front tire for all FL trails (Markam, Alafia, Santos...etc.). Something like the gripy yet nimble Maxxis Ignigtor in the rear is a good offering too. Here is my success story...

Best f/r tire combination

but I think any real learning has to be done with an open mind to try multiple makes/models, not just spec
    ****I should ride less and post more****

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the input, mostly just because its what I have the most experience with and it's what my lbs carries.