Captain Climber

To those who have made Chuck Lennon what it is today.

Thank you for the most fun I've had in a long time. That is an awesome trail. I haven't been on a single track in nearly 25 years when I was a young boy riding my BMX on the local motorcycle trails. Chuck Lennon was 100 times more fun than that ever was. I got my new Airborne Skyhawk Friday, got it tuned up and wanted to go yesterday but I thought it might be too wet. It was perfect today. I started on Screaming Hawk from the entrance off the paved road and after completing a lap I went back to the central hub and went down Raccoon Run to get to the parking lot so I could take a look at a map and get a feel for where I was at. I thought I'd take Hoot Owl back to Screaming Hawk but decided to stay on it. After completing that lap and getting back to the parking lot I rode the road down to where I had parked and decided I better not try again because I had somehow gotten tired. I was having too much fun to realize how much work it was. I think I will go back tomorrow after work. Can't believe this has been down the street from my house for the last nine years I have lived here and I never knew it.

PS I never realized there were hills that steep in Florida

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, fun trail. Hit it last Saturday for my first time, but my drive is much further (3 1/2 hrs each way). Ended up doing 31/2 laps and will hit it again next weekend.

Captain Climber
    I hope you can... The weather is not looking too good for next weekend but the weather men never get it right.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Yeah, fun trail. Hit it last Saturday for my first time, but my drive is much further (3 1/2 hrs each way). Ended up doing 31/2 laps and will hit it again next weekend.
    It hasn't rained here yet and they have lowered the chance of rain for the weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    It hasn't rained here yet and they have lowered the chance of rain for the weekend.
    Rain predictions are constantly changing and with the long drive, I want to play it as safe as I can with mother nature. My current hope is for Thursday or Friday.
    If I lived close by, I would be out there on a regular basis.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Rain predictions are constantly changing and with the long drive, I want to play it as safe as I can with mother nature. My current hope is for Thursday or Friday.
    If I lived close by, I would be out there on a regular basis.
    Yeah, I know what you mean... I think I'm going to go out there in a few minutes. I'm only seven miles away. The sun is shinning now.

Captain Climber
    Got out there and rode every trail once and Hoot Owl/Racoon Run twice. Not a cloud in the sky. Our weather is so strange and unpredictable for sure. There were not many people there either which makes me think the weather predictions scared them off too because it was nice weather for a ride. Tomorrow is suppose to be unpredictable too but I hope I can get out there again if I am recovered from today's ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Went out this morning and I have to say it was awesome. The trail was nice and packed too. I really hope that the county can get its act together and allow this trail to prosper, people have worked too hard to make it what it is today.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by DorkDisc View Post
    Went out this morning and I have to say it was awesome. The trail was nice and packed too. I really hope that the county can get its act together and allow this trail to prosper, people have worked too hard to make it what it is today.
    Were you out there yesterday too? I talked to a couple yesterday from Gainsville out at CL. I just got back for CL today and got rained out about half way through.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Made it back on Sunday and enjoyed CL even more the second time around....ranks up there as my favorite trail....so far.

Captain Climber
    You must have just beat the rain. Rained like crazy when it started all the way to Monday night. I bet it was nice there that morning. Wish I could have made it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A big group of riders were just finishing when we arrived, around 12:30. A very light rain
    when we got on the trail, then nothing for the next 2 hours....guess we got lucky.
    did 2 full laps and 6 times on Red Panther, so was worth the drive.....looks like great weather coming.

Captain Climber
    I got out there Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Saturday at 3pm and there was two vehicles in the parking lot when I got there and one when I left. Very nice ride. Got out there yesterday at 10am and the parking lot was over flowing. I didn't think I would like it that crowded but I did. Never really ran into anybody on the trail except seeing them pass by on another trail or another portion of the trail I was on. Past a few people who were pulled over. No one came up behind me. Met a lot of really great people. So far everyone has been extremely friendly.

Captain Climber
    Lovin' the new ramp over the log on Raccoon!

XXIX
    Yea that is pretty cool, I only got to walk over it but it looks fun . More of that stuff to come.

Captain Climber
    Did you help today?

XXIX
    Yea. I was working on some of the sandy sections on raccoon and screaming hawk.

Captain Climber
    Good job and thanks! I'm going to get out there and help someday when I have time.

Captain Climber
    I noticed there is a pic of the new ramp on the Facebook page for CL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chuck...l/294368740623

mtbr member
    You guys met! GatorB was on the rumblefish that day I met you Chris!

Captain Climber
    Yeah I remember. Brandon correct? He came a long way to work on CL. That's dedication!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Jem7sk;10406760]Yeah I remember. Brandon correct? He came a long way to work on CL.

Brandon is a good guy! Marines are always dedicated to the cause! His just happens to be a sport that I'm lucky to be a part of! Thanks to Brandon and to the other people that maintain our trails and make them safe!!! You guys rock!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You guys are lucky to be so close. If I were near, it would be my go-to trail.