mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Good job! Thanks CSRA SORBA members

The FATS trail is going to become one of the epic trails. I have only ridden half of the trail, the ride was cut short due to an over the bars wreck on some doubles. I broke my collarbone (4-2-06). There were several riders pasted on the trail while walking out (8-11miles?). Assistance was offered by every rider. I want to say thank-you for getting me to the trail head and home. I'LL BE BACK!

SALLGUD
    Glad to hear you have come through your first week with a good attitude! My wife and I were part of the six-person work crew armoring some of the muddy spots in the first couple of miles of the connector loop when you first came through. A lot of the jumps on that loop can quickly get your attention.

We heard about your mishap and also heard that you had been assisted by the past president of our local SORBA chapter, Angela Allen. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the FATS ride. The trail will only get better, and longer! I also have had a busted collarbone in my mtb'ing life. Most of us have had at least one!

Anyway, get well and get back out there!

Michael

mtbr member
    Some of those jumps are really ferocious. I was just trying to roll over the (Brown Wave?) and my back wheel kept trying to lift up. Definitely a fun fast track, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Sorry you got hurt on the Brown Wave. I think you rode by me that day as I was working with the armoring crew. I swear I warned everyone coming past me to be careful the first time through the Brown Wave. Again, I am sorry you got hurt.

The good news is you rode half the Brown Wave, but no where near half of what will be at FATS. I'd say 21 miles are finished, and 4 more are being worked on. We will probably open 4-10 miles this week. It's fine to ride, but we worry if we open it and it gets alot of rain that folks won't stay off the fresher stuff and that will be a nightmare. Freshly turned soil, rain and alot of use is not a good recipe. It will pack in after a few rains, but some of the closed areas have had only one or two rains on them since being built.

FATS is not a beginner trail - yet it can and should be enjoyed by beginners. Folks need to realize that we don't want lines around the technical features. We don't want FATS dumbed down to the beginner level. We have over 40 miles of trails that can be enjoyed that have hardly any techinical features. Having said all that, FATS is a trail that can be ridden and enjoyed by a wide range of riders. The weekend before your accident, I rode the FATS with a 7, 8 and 12 year old. Also in our group was a 2005 NORBA National race winner and the rest were just your average adult riders. We all had fun riding the same trail but not necessarily taking the same lines and definitely not riding the same style over the jumps. I've found that every jump at FATS can be rolled over by pushing down on your handlebars. A rider can go as big as he/she wants out there, but the option to stay grounded is certainly there as well.

FATS has surpassed my expectations on every level. The volunteer effort was amazing. The skill the builders have shown is equally amazing. That we could actually work with the Feds (USFS) and State (SCPRT) to pull this off still amazes me.

The topography in this area is truly unique. While sitting at 200'-500' above sea level, it has mountain like landscapes. Large bowls sitting next to one another with steep (above 70% in places) sideslopes. I truly believe the style of bermed turns with drainage built in and the grade dips that allow the skilled riders to go big are the future of most MTB trails. FATS is just the first trail of this nature I've been involved with building and the first I have ridden.

Come ride it. Check www.sorbacsra.org to be sure it is open before you come. It will be closed for about 2 days after any significant rains (until it seasons and gets fully packed in).

SALLGUD

Wink He will, soon!

Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    Sorry you got hurt on the Brown Wave...
    Come ride it.
    If his was like mine, give him 6 - 10 weeks. He will ride it again. He wishes he could have been out there today, riding the Great Wall, or The Brown Wave, or...

I personally thought the Great Wall rocked today, and when the SO said "Where did these handlebar-width sections come from? This is AWESOME!!!!", then I smiled. One day!

Michael