Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tennessee - Windrock DH runs

6K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Carraig042 
#1 ·
Anybody interested in doing some shuttle runs at Windrock? There are several riders who meet and ride there on Sundays but I am just throwing this out to see if anyone on here wants to ride. We are riding the 10th and 17th. 10am - till we are tired:D

I will suggest pads and fullface helmet and 2-ply tires, although I have seen people riding there with normal XC stuff and XC bikes.

#5 ·
we are moving up to the asheville area soon, and I will be up for windrock trips. Never been, even when we lived up there for three years in 2005-2008, but always wanted to as I figured it would fit my freeride style.

it looks like the stuff in the vid isnt too big to scare you off, but plenty big enough to be a blast.
keep posting up when you guys go out there, and I'm sure the crowd will grow over time

#6 ·
It took me several trips to WR in order to ride most of the features. I do think alot of people get scared off before they even go. I have seen lots of riders walk all the sections that looked sketchy to them and then ride the rest and have a great time, I think riders think they have to have a certain skill level to ride there. To ride it all - hitting all gaps and drops and rock hucks at a descent speed would = a very experienced/highly skilled rider, there are still sections I walk or ride around, but I am gonna go and ride and have a great time.
We are going tomorrow as posted and we'll post some video later next week:thumbsup:
Just let me know when you get moved in and we'll ride!
There are 3 groups-that I know of from the Asheville area that rides at WR and I have met the other two a few times but I'm not in their loop for when they are going. My group is usually only one or two regulars with several part timers who may go. 7 seems to be the maximum # of riders and 3 being the lowest to make a shuttle work.We usually meet a couple of locals there when we go.

#7 ·
what? you can ride at windrock? are we talking like the atv park? im like 20 miles from there. but i never have been Mountain biking. do you guys know wear the trails that are up by Norris dam are? idk what they call them i’m 5 min from them tho. and would like to find someone close to go with my first time.

#8 ·
what? you can ride at windrock? are we talking like the atv park? im like 20 miles from there. but i never have been Mountain biking. do you guys know wear the trails that are up by Norris dam are? idk what they call them i'm 5 min from them tho. and would like to find someone close to go with my first time.
Nice bump from July :thumbsup: There is 6 or 7 miles of rough XC trails at Windrock but alot more DH trails. The DH trails are separate from the ATV trails. Funny you should ask about this-this time of year, next weekend (15th & 16th) there is a fall festival happening at WR for the DH bike riders, probably 40+ riders both days and shuttles running all day.The best time to come out and learn the trails.

Chatter here
= all about WR Fallfest:D

#10 ·
Fall Fest!!! Can't wait. I haven't been since FF last year, so stoked.

@Taco the trails at Windrock are some of the most challenging in the east. Definitely not for beginners or the faint of heart. Tons of fun though... I agree with Moto, next weekend is a good time to go. Its the only time shuttles are provided (for a small $ donation) and there's gonna be plenty of people to show you around.

#14 ·
mmmm. did not think about that. may see if i can make it. but i think i’m having a bonfire/party saturday night. and if i do i hope i don’t get hurt like last time. i had fireworks go off on my hand. lol and ran in to a swing. lol don’t ask why i ran in to a swing because i don’t remember running in to it. just was told and i had blood on my arm the next day.....

#18 ·
Holy crap, am I glad I checked this forum today. I was just talking to one of my buddies today about hitting Windrock in the next couple of weeks. We may be out there this weekend. I'll either be on a black IH Sunday, or a brown Banshee Chap. He will be on a red Demo 9. If we end up going, see if you guys can find us.

#30 ·
Lessons learned from today:

1. Don't trust videos of a trail. On Youtube, Windrock looked a LOT more tame than it really was.
2. Don't bring the wrong bike based on what the trail looks like on Youtube. My Banshee was completely out classed in every way for that place. Next time, I'll be rolling on the Sunday.
3. Don't flub what should have been an easy drop off, and smash your hip into a rock basically first thing in the morning, rendering you unable to ride the rest of the day.
4. Raffles are awesome. New hubs for me! :D

#31 ·
Fallfest day one was great, the weather was perfect and the trails had "Magic" dirt on them:thumbsup:

Petti video's always smooth out the trails, Windrock is a steep narfest,I've got a season pass and ride there alot and forget that most people are shocked at how steep and rocky it is.Did you win the I-9 hubs?????Lucky!

Jay13 good to meet you - it looked like you were killin it on that dirtbag:thumbsup:

The best part of my day was 3 times I hit the creek gap the shuttle trailer was right there and caught a ride back to the top :D

#33 ·
Jay, lots of fun riding again. Sorry to bail on Sunday but the 2 nights in the campground sleeping in my car and been gone from home so long. When I woke up I just wanted to get on the road.

Yeti, I was behind you when you hit that rock and when I got to the intersection I heard you buddy say "he sould have brought his Sunday." Didn't realize that ruined your day. Every time I go there, I still shocked by the steepness and tech. You have to be watching very foot it seams like.

Moto, might have meet ya but don't recall. Met alot of new people this year. See ya next time.

#34 ·
Yeah Don, Always good riding with you... I wondered what happened to you but figured you decided to get an early start. We only did 5 runs on Sunday. I messed up my (new) chain guide on run 2 but fortunately was able to get it working well enough to ride. After the 5th run it was noon and time to head back. We made good time though, I was home in otown by 10pm. I got some good footage but it'll take a while to edit. Here's a shot of me off the creek gap that came out pretty good...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.