mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Tennessee riders needs some help!

I am from Wisconsin and looking to take a 3 to 4 day camping trip in April. First is it warm enough or is it too hard to tell? We will be camping in a tent. Second i need a place where I can camp and get to a trail head. I will be riding but my wife will not be. Also, i have a dog and was wondering if any trails accept dogs to run with me not on a leash. Thanks for any help!

...soon to be sith lord..
    Which part of Tennessee are going to be headed?
    There is a fine line between control and catastrophe
    Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The SORBA Chattanooga trail guide has a list of all the TN trails along with a description.

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php

The weather should be just about perfect at that time of the year, warm enough but before the heat of the summer sets in.

Chilhowee and Tanasi are both great systems with camping local to both. They are within half an hour of each other, this gives around 50 miles of total trail within easy reach. You are also close to some of the stuff over in Blue Ridge, which is worth a look if you have time.

Post up on the SORBA Chattanooga forum when you are headed this way, maybe someone can show you around.

Furrner

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by obi_twan_kenobe
    Which part of Tennessee are going to be headed?

I am just looking for any state park in Tennessee that allows caping, dogs and mountain biking, and it has to be rideable in April.
    Last edited by mtnbkr33; 01-24-2006 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd suggest skipping state parks and look at National Forests. My suggestion is Chilhowee Campground in the Cherokee Naional Forest with Tanasi just up the road. Check out the Trail Guide posted above for trail info.

Trey

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks like this is the trail I will be riding. Are there any other suggested trails if we stay in the Chilhowee Campgrond? And is there any specific trail in this picture i have to ride? I love xc singletrck and climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tanasi is up the road about 20 minutes and a great system as well.

The best trails on that map are not named. The park service posted signs changing the names of the trails recently. YOu really need to ride all of the slick rock trails and go down Naked Widow Trail! If you like technical you go down the Bill Rogers Trail (Not called that on the sign) and taking outer slick rock has a killer climb through a steep switchback and then rock garden to follow.