Thread: Tanasi vs Tsali

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Tanasi vs Tsali

Hey, looking to do a ride at either of these trails. Have heard some great things. We are in the area from Ontario. Intermediate-Beginner skill and fitness (my son is much better then me). Just finished three days of rides in the Knoxville area at Ijams, Haw Ridge. It rained hard on Monday and we are planning ride for Friday so please let me know if either have drainage issues. Is the drive about the same time and distance to either. Thanks for your help. Appreciate any comments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Both are great trail systems. To me, Tanasi is a bit more "technical" and has more climbing than Tsali. Tanasi has a really fun downhill trail also. Tsali has 4 different loops you can ride, but not all in one day. They alternate riding days with horse riding. Meaning you can ride Thompson and Mouse Branch one day, then the right and left loop the next day. Tsali is fast and flowy. I've never ridden Tsali after a rain storm, so can't comment on the drainage. The drainage at Tanasi is very good IMO. I rode it later in the afternoon one day after a morning rain storm blew through, and the trails were excellent.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

bust a move
    imo you can't go wrong at either place. Both have nice camping, well marked trails that fit your skill level and there is whitewater rafting at or nearby each place. Tanasi is a bit more technical and has more miles of additional trails nearby (Brush creek, Chilhowee). I personally enjoy camping and riding at Tsali but only slightly. Tsali has had some drainage issues in the past but I understand it is better now. Maybe someone will have some current info. on conditions. My guess is Tanasi is closer to Knoxville. Hope you guys get some good weather and enjoy!
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Tsali has a more epic feel, and the trails are generally faster.