mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Tallahassee area trails ?

I usually ride Santos and San Felasco. Looking for a change this weekend. Anybody have opinions on Tallahassee area trails like Cadillac?

Not necessarily looking for rocky techy Santos type stuff. Looking for more flow like San Felasco.

If Tallahassee trails are not recommended I'll likely head south and try Carter or Snowhill.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Tom Brown Park in Tally is a lot of fun. I have only been there once when I was passing through, but I was very happy I made the stop. There is a fair amount of elevation (for a Florida trail) & they have a good variety. Cadillac trail was a blast with several nice wooden features. They also have a flow/jump line "Kudzilla" (which I think they just finished reworking. You may want to verify that t is up & running).

Your other option Loyce Harpe Park (Carter Road) is my favorite FL trail. It has a great mix of flow & technical aspects. I also think that Carter is the most unique trail I have been on. You are riding on ridges right next to the water for the majority of the time.

Other options south include Alafia River State Park (well marked & established. Restrooms & water) & Balm Boyette (a mile+ ride in & a little bit more confusing, but still great. No facilities). If you want to make a LONG day you can ride Carter (just under 10 mi loop) in the morning, then head over to Alafia. I no longer live in the area, but, if I was visiting I would do Carter in the morning, Alafia in the afternoon to get both of them in.

Both of your options are a good pick, although Tally might be the change in pace you are looking for

~Kirby

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Tallahassee has a lot of trail. Tom Brown Parks Magnolia and Cadillac trails are wonderful, with Cadillac having lots of flow. Magnolia being more technical. You can typically connect east Caddy over a to Alfords Greenway via a levy multiuse trail. At Alfords, there's a bit more singletrack but a lot more multiuse for some XC mileage(and a few hills). To the west of Magnolia is Fern, which is some decent XC singletrack and multiuse. There's a bit left of the pine beetle trail and the Kohls trail if you want some more mileage. All in all theres about 25 miles of trail that interconnects out there.

Redbug is very technical in areas, but the rework they did about a year ago made it flow a bit better in some areas. Across Meridian from Redbug is the West, East, North, Silk, and Cambodia trails along with some multiuse. Cambodia and Silk flow very well. From the bottom of Silk, you can cross over MacClay road and ride the powerline to a connector to Timberlane that is a short pavement ride to the Plantation Loop. East of Redbug is the rest of Elinor-Phipps-Knapp Park and a ton of multiuse trail to add some XC mileage and climbs. Doing all this will give you near 30 miles.

Then theres Munson/Twilight. Munson is crazy flowy, gentle sandhills, whooptydos, and banked turns allow you to run it FAST. Nothing like it in Florida that I've seen. Twilight is traditional sandy sandhill singletrack. Doing both these trails gives you about 20 miles. There's about 20 miles of more bootleg trail easily connected to Munson, its sandy, but hillier and flows pretty dang good - good luck finding it without a local though