The Voice of Reason

sylacauga, alabama

are those lake howard trails still there? i heard they were awesome but i've never been. also looking to ride some of those gravel roads in the national forest there and maybe do some camping.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I would like to know also I am just getting into riding and live in Chelsea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Singletracks.com says yes: Sylaward Mountain Bike Trail in Sylacauga, Alabama || SINGLETRACKS.COM

Also some of my buddies in the area (Birmingham) have recommended the trails to me. Gonna check them out soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    They're still there. Nice single-track that goes around the lake.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great! Will try to check them out at the end of this month. Will watch this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The trails are still there. They are great. They flow really well and are just a ton of phone. Nice little trailhead too. If you get the chance you can keep driving south on 280 and check out the 23 miles of trails at Chewacla State Park too. They are a little over an hour from Lake Howard.

mtbr member
    The trails are fun. Not very technical, but very fast. We did a race there a few years ago and it's easily the fastest race course I've ever been on. If you want to check out a killer gravel grinder look at the course for the Skyway Epic. Here's my gps track from last year. https://app.strava.com/activities/142732615

You might be able to find a cue sheet or something you can download on their website.

If you have some extra time, drive an hour to Anniston and ride Coldwater. I think it's my favorite Alabama trail right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How well can this trail and Coldwater handle rain? Was scheduled to ride them in about a week, but right now, rain is predicted. I might still go, but I definitely won't if it might tear up the trail. Not happy about the weather, but I've been riding in it all freaking winter, so what's another weekend?

I emailed NEABA, but I haven't heard back.

Any ideas from locals? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Greg,

I rode Sylaward on Saturday. There were a few sections in the first few miles that were pretty muddy, but once we got back to where the loops are it was pretty dry for the most part. We just walked the bikes through the muddy sections which weren't too long. I wouldn't go ride there in the rain, or the day after heavy rains, but other than that you should be ok. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the info. Right now it is supposed to rain today which means Sylaward should be good to go Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rode Sylaward today. Trails are in great shape. There's plenty of updated maps at the trailhead along with two changing rooms and a bike washing station.

Nothing technical at all about the trails. They're fast, flowy and fun! After riding Coldwater yesterday it's exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 4